CairnTalk

Nicknames

goforette

Chris has since starting giving Hollie and Brystal nicknames - he's calling Hollie the golden nugget and Brystal has two names Yoda when both of her ears stand up and chicken tender when one ear is up and one ear is down. I'm worried he's going to confuse them. I don't want them to start answering to nugget and yoda! Am I facing an identity crisis???

Do any of you have nicknames for any of your Cairns?

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

I have all kinds of nicknames for Kirby, although I don't use them when I'm actually trying to address her, or get her to obey a command. Usually I end up using them when I'm walking with her, it's just a way to keep talking to her so she stays interested in staying with me. I also use them when giving tummy rubs. She doesn't react to them, I think it's just a stream of baby talk to her. I would assume the thing to watch out for is if your dogs start listening for the nicknames and ignore their given name.

Ours cairn is Izobel, but is mostly called Izzie. She is also known as 'Dizzie Izzie", "Busy Izzie", "The Wee Dog" and "Rat Dog" (This last one initially was simply a reference to the purpose that Cairns were bred to...but since she has found and killed two roof rats {they are like pack rats and are native to our area} that must have had a nest in our yard she has actually earned that name). She knows that any of these names refer to her and she answers to them all.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Savannah is Vannah, Murf, Stink, Tink, Brat and my Dad calls her Bean-o (i have no idea why but I don't think it has alything to do with that!! :sick: ). Savannah answers to all of these and Savannah. While training, she was Savannah and only Savannah. But all other times, anything goes!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

We use lots of nicknames for our dogs too. I don't use them when asking them to do something....mostly when I greet them. Scout is Scoutty, Scout for Food and Pooky. Finch is Spaz, Bubble butt, Lovie, and Pookie.

Let's see, Barney's nicknames are the Barn Stormer (if you don't know what a barnstormer is, you won't know how appropriate a nickname it is for Barney! :D ). Here's a history lesson for those of you who slept through it in school:

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Ex...ormers/EX12.htm

To continue, Barnster, Barney boy, muffin, punkin, brat boy, stink pot, ornery booger, and others!

When we first got him, I was afraid he would think his name was BARNEY NO! :whistle:

Fun topic! :)

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

I love reading nicknames of other's dogs. This was a topic a while back and I was amazed that other had similar or exact names that we use for Saidi. Just like everyone else we have several depending on Saidi's mood and actions at the moment :devil:

Cutie Pie, Sweetie Pie, Saidi Girl, Stinky Girl, Taz, Ace and many more I cant think of now.

We don

We have lot's of nicknames for our two;

Duffy - The Duffster, Dufflebag, Big Bro, Duffasourus

Mickey - Little Mousie, Mikimoto (because he's snow white like the pearl), Little Bro, Parnelli pup (when he races around the house.

Mike

Darn after seeing all these nicknames I feel bad for scolding Chris for calling them other things... I guess I'll be going home with my tail between my legs and saying sorry.... you can call them golden nugget and yoda... HA! :P

Shaylee is also called Punkin Pie, Pupparoo, and in more trying moments, Devil's Spawn, lol....all of these are said with love, but for commands we call her by her name.

Bella has a few - Bells, Belly and Muppet being the most popular...

She answers to them all.....

Sometimes she is also knows as the little b*tch..that one she doesnt answer!!! :lol:

We do nicknames too. Dusty has many. Dust Bunny(part of his registered name), Dust ball, Dust, Monster, Termite(team members gave him this one because he is so much smaller than the other dogs on the team). Oh, I can't forget my brother uses the acrynomn LFT because the can't beleive "a Toto dog" is really a search dog.

My son refers to Sophie as the "little bundle of cuteness" and will yell "My bundle" and she comes running. I've been known to refer to her as "Missy Ann" usually as in "Hey now Missy Ann give me back my (fill in the blank)"

Squirrel girl is another nicname for her, this ones orgins I am clueless about.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Jazz goes by Jazz Razz Ma Tazz (his full name), Jazzer, Jazzy and, when he's been rolling in Lord knows what, Skanky.

He is also known as Fuzzy Butt and Boinger (for bouncing across the yard). Actually, he'll answer to anything at all as long as food is involved. He probally thinks his name is Cookie

Sheri, Mom to Jazz & Alex

Registered name Mett T. Wurst

Metterwurst

Metter

Metty

Mett-Man(with theme music)

Mett-stein

Gremlin

MettyMan

Mommy's little Boy

Registered name: Bratt T. Wurst

Bratterwurst

Bratter

Bratty

Bratt-Man(with theme music)

Bratt-stein

Gremlin

Daddy's Big Man

Mommy's Bigg Boy

Ruthless Licking Machine

and my Fav "that Dog just ain't right"

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Max goes by:

Max

Maxie

Maxsheesh

Maxter

Maxter-Baxter

Noodles (cause of the Cairnoodle thing)

Terrierist

I think I like the nicknames more than he does.

Registered name Mett T. Wurst

Metterwurst

Metter

Metty

Mett-Man(with theme music)

Mett-stein

Gremlin

MettyMan

Mommy's little Boy

Registered name: Bratt T. Wurst

Bratterwurst

Bratter

Bratty

Bratt-Man(with theme music)

Bratt-stein

Gremlin

Daddy's Big Man

Mommy's Bigg Boy

Ruthless Licking Machine

and my Fav "that Dog just ain't right"

I love the "dog that just ain't right".... darn I want to steel that!

Archived