CairnTalk

Kongs

MyGeorgiaGirl

My Cairn, Georgia, is my first dog and I have never gotten her a Kong but I have read such great things about them on here. I was just wondering are they messy? I really want to get Georiga something new to chew on because she recently got a piece of rawhide stuck in her throat and it really scared me. If anyone has any other suggestions on good chew toys, treats, or whatever I would appreciate it, my baby needs something to do when her grandpa is watching her while I am at work :P

Kongs don't tend to be messy, unless you put something in that could really stain, or smear on furniture or floors-which is usually only an issue if the dog does not like what's in there-at least in my house. For example, I put in Kong treats or some kibble and a little cheez whiz to hold it together and make her work at it a little longer- and Kirby eats the cheese so fast it can't stain or smear. I also found out that way she doesn't like the peanut butter Kong treats-she pulled the treat out and licked it clean of cheese, but did not even bother to bite it. Which is really funny, because it's the only thing she's ever turned down for food-she's a little vacuum! This is the same dog that happily goes hunting for fuzz on the carpet, and scarfs it. No accounting for taste I guess. :D

In terms of mess, it depends what you stuff in a Kong! Unless it can leak out not much will have a chance to stain rugs or furniture.

The beauty of kongs is that dogs really have to work hard to get anything out. I have a couple of dental kongs (they are like short fat cigars, with a hole in the middle and deep grooves on the outside) and I smush low fat American cheese inside the kong and push it into the ribs. I have light carpets and I've never seen a mark from the cheese. You can also stuff hard biscuit type treats into kongs, some are made to grip them.

How long something lasts really depends on whether your dog is a hard chewer or not. What lasts one of my dogs days my other dog will polish off in ten minutes. So far the only thing that has gone beyond ten minutes for my hard chewer are stuffed kongs.

Stacey

We haven't had any problems with messy Kongs either....the stuff inside gets eaten too fast!

I stuff our Kongs with lots of stuff, and then I keep them in the freezer. It takes a lot more time to get the food out of the Kong when the stuffing is frozen!

The red dye came off our kong and is on our bathroom wall. At first I thought it was blood.

We don't use the kongs anymore. I used to put pieces of dry food into it and he'd roll it around, trying to get it out. But some of the food found its way under the fridge and bookcases. And he kept complaining.

In any event, he's past the chewing stage- after 2 1/2 years and the house has battle scars- piano legs, couch base, bathroom wall bookcase and chairlegs have teeth marks.

Shoe what stuff do you put in the kong to freeze it? I need something to keep ellie busy, she gets the food out so darn fast.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Terry, I have used:

peanut butter- I spread a little at the bottom of the Kong so it's harder to get at.

baby carrots- I squeeze 2 to 3 (depending on size)

squeeze cheese- I put a little in the Kong, or sometimes I put some on top of the carrots

canned food- I buy the little containers of dog food....I think it's Ceasar (?) and fill the Kongs. One container fills about 4 to 5 Kongs.

meat- sometimes when we have leftover steak, I'll put a small piece in the bottom of the Kong.

greenbeans

Hope this helps!

One more thing....what size should I get? Georgia is 18lbs and a tough chewer.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

Steph

Weird questions for those of you who freeze canned food in the Kong.

1) Do you put the Kong in a ziploc bag or something when you put it in the freezer?

2) Do you fill it all the way up or only half way or what?

3) Do you put the left over food in the refigerator for later use? If so, how long does it last?

4) Does the dog food in your freezer/refrigerator make your fridge/freezer smell?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

No wierd questions here! :)

I use the small Kongs and fill them up to the top.

One of the reasons I use the Ceasar dog food is because the container is small, so I don't have any left over to spoil.

I keep them (I have 10.....when I can find all of them!) in a ziplock freezer bag and kind of "prop" them up so they don't leak.

No, my freezer doesn't smell. I just keep the bag in the freezer and pull two out when I am giving them out.

Check out http://www.kongcompany.com and sign up for their newsletter. It's a great souce of ideas for kong stuffing treats, training ideas etc. Which reminds me I need to get Angus a new Kong. These are good for hours of fun! He misses his.

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

Just a quick question, I have a couple Molecule Bals and I am getting Izbell and my other dog Odie Kongs today but I am not sure what size. I was thinking the 3 1/2" size? What size do you all find is the best for a cairn?

i think the medium is 3 1/2 inches...it seems to be on sale at amazon.com

i need to order more, i only have 2

ellie

I think either a small or a medium would be best for a Cairn. I got Savannah the small when she was a puppy and when she still uses it now.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Ok..so I break out the kongs that I have one puppy and one bone one.

I fill them up and freeze them with yummies. I even go out and buy

two new red smalls. Well, Madwoman chewed hers the first night. Ok, I thought

it is the puppy one (blue) so that is understandable. WELL, tonight

she trashed her new one, in less than ten minutes. She chewed the smallest

portion (a third of the kong) right off!!! ARRGGH! I thought I had finally found

something to keep her occupied. :shock: OK.. do I dish out the cash for the black

one....the one for the super chewer...or do I call it a day. oh, and she wasn't

alone just chomping on the thing. I was watching her and it went from innocent

licks and bites to one or two good chomps and off comes a third of the kong!!!

Yes, she is Helliott's sister!!!! Any black kong owners out there????

Ellie

We own the red kong with no problems but I know someone with a very heavy chewer that owns the black Kong. She said it is the only toy that her dog does not destroy. I would try one of the black kongs as I have heard really good things about them.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Archived