CairnTalk

Being Babysat

purebella

Me and OH are going on a holiday next month (yay!!!) and are having my brother came around to house sit and also Bella sit as we are calling it!!

This is the first time that we have left Bella with others, and are a bit nervous about it!

Can anyone give any tips to help Bella (and us) during this time??

She :wub: my brother so that is not a problem.....

Should i leave him notes about her routine and where she likes to sleep, her fave toys etc etc??

is your brother staying at your house while you are away?

I would give your brother instructions on feeding schedule, potty schedule, sleeping arrangements, special toys, games and exercise habits. Emergency phone numbers to Vet and Emergency Vet. I would leave a doggie first aid kit handy with meds and essentials. Keeping Bella's routine as close to what she is used to will help ease any stress she might have in your absence.

Yep, I'd be leaving lots of notes full of instructions. I'm sure Bella will be fine while your gone, but it probably won't stop you worrying. I would also be checking in with home to hear how she is doing.

Have a great holiday! Are you staying in SA or going further away?

ctdogs.jpg

You have been given lots of great advice! I would, also, give Bella an old t-shirt, that you have worn, for comfort. This way she has your scent to snuggle with, especially if she uses a crate at night.

I would do all of the above. I would also mention being careful with open doors, gates holding the leash securely if he takes her for walks. I always check my backyard fence for digging when I let them out and check the gates to make sure they're closed securely. This weekend we had company from out of town stay with us, yesterday after they left I took Keegan out [on leash] and realized they had left one of the fence gates pushed closed but not latched, I know if I had let Kai-lee out she could have pushed it open and ran out if she set her mind to it; that is my biggest fear!

I second Maggie's tip about the open doors. I assumed that my parents knew about the fast and "adventurous" ways of the Cairn. When I picked the dogs up after a trip, my mom said that she had thought about letting them play off leash in the front yard! Be still my racing heart....I had to explain that can't be risked and they can never be off-leash. My parents think I am overly protective and paronoid. I really don't care how crazy I sound to them as long as my pups are safe!

Ozgirl - we are heading up to Queensland - sunshine and warmth here we come!!

Thanks for the advice....I shall leave lots of intructions and ensure all gates are locked......there is no need for brother to open them anyway.

I will try and get him to keep her to the same routine so as not to worry her.

Archived