CairnTalk

The British dog : its history from earliest times

Guest Sean Albert

Guest Sean Albert

I have found this book in several libraries in the UK. It is not avalable through the Libary of Congress. Does anyone out there have a copy?

COPAC On-line Library Catalog Website: http://www.copac.ac.uk/copac/wzgw?id=41420...sn=F&rsn=1&rn=3

Main Author: Ritchie, Carson I. A. (Carson Irving Alexander), 1928-

Title Details: The British dog : its history from earliest times / Carson I.A. Ritchie

Publisher: London : Hale, 1981

Physical desc.: 208p,[32]p of plates : ill ; 24cm

ISBN/ISSN: 0709185898

Note: Bibliography: p196-197 Includes index

Subject: Dogs - history - Great Britain Great Britain, Livestock, Dogs, to 1901

Document Type: Bibliography included For holdings information select a library from those below. Those marked with an asterisk give current availability.

Holding Libraries: British Library ; National Library of Scotland ; Oxford* ; Trinity College Dublin*

Canine History. M 8vo. Although it is not generally known, British dogs are the oldest in Europe, and this book is the story of their beginnings and development into the social and sports animals of the present time. Well-illustrated with drawings and photographs. Cloth, Hardcover. First English Printing.

Sean,

Why are you posting Cairn History topics on the CTCA web Open Forum? I read this on the Cairn History List and that's where it should be posted. This is not an appropriate place to post articles; it is for opinions and informative discussions.

As your co-moderator on the Cairn History List, I feel things of this nature should be confined to that list.

Joyce

It would be nice to find a middle ground somewhere. I'm indeed trying to encourage book reviews that might be of use to visitors and an historical book is as valid as a children's book. A short note asking if anyone has a copy of a particular book seems reasonable. But I find the cut'n'paste jobs a bit over the top.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest Sean Albert

Hi Joyce:

I am glad you asked me why I post articles and bibliographies in this forum.

I post articles and bibliographic references to the CTCA's website because, in my opinion, the history of the Cairn should be preserved and published (or republished) by an institution rather than a privately-owned entity. The CairnTerrierHistory Yahoo!Group, a small, private, fragile group in its infancy (not yet one-year-old), is no substitute for the work of the CTCA, a large, well-established, elected, AKC-recognized institution established in 1917.

Sincerely,

Sean

Can't really argue with someone's feelings and beliefs and your quest is an honorable one. However from a practical standpoint, and by design, this is a discussion forum not an archive. It will be regularly pruned of old articles -- programatically pruned based on simple date-of-last-reply 'staleness' calculations for each topic, not by value assessment of particular topics. How often and how deeply it will be pruned will be determined by database size and maintenance considerations.

Indeed, the whole forum is an experiment in community that may not even outlast my tenure maintaining it. If a community eventually develops, at least that will get factored in to the cost/benefit equation by my successor(s). But in any event, it is a poor substitute for an archive.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest Sean Albert

Hi Brad:

With luck, CTCA members, CTCA elected officers or the CTCA BOG may see the articles, recognize their value and create an archival system run by the club. Temporary storage on the CTCA website, a club sanctioned/sponsored forum, is preferable to private electronic storage. The CTH Yahoo!Group and the CTCA Website are excellent nets for the collection of articles and photos but not an ideal preservation vehicles.

I value your efforts as Webmaster and will adhere to your guidelines about the use of this forum. It is my hope that my recent e-mail correspondence addressed to the current President of the CTCA with courtesy copies to the CTCA delegate to the AKC, the CTCA Historian, the CTCA Corresponding Secretary and my CTH Co-moderator will result in an AKC Gazette Editorial Department grant of blanket permission for the CTCA to republish Cairn articles from that publication. A corollary to CTCA intervention in seeking AKC Gazette permission to republish articles would logically include the creation of an archival mechanism to be overseen by the CTCA. In this computerized age, publication on the CTCA Website would be highly desirable. Alternatively, republication of a chronologically arranged collection of Cairn breed columns and articles and photos via paper and ink would also be a huge step forward in the preservation of documents of historic value to those devoted to the breed.

Time will tell.

In the meantime, I thank you (again) for all of your hard work as Webmaster.

Sincerely,

Sean

Archived