CairnTalk

Who is training who?

Eliz222

I taught Finch how to shake hands a few months ago. I use the command "shake hands", and she lifts her right paw. Training went well and it only took her (2) ten minute sessions.

The funny thing is, Finch will NOT shake hands unless I have a treat in my hand. At first I thought she was confused and "forgot" the command. I gently coaxed her to raise her paw with the command. I have never seen such a poker face! She will sit and look at me like she has NO IDEA what I am talking about! But....when I put a treat in my hand, her paw goes up as quick as lightening! LOL!

Who is training who???

Here is my "clueless" dog today.

july5finchr7wu.jpg

Now, how can I get mad at this face? :P

sweet sweet face....i'd give her another treat!!! lol

Ellie and Dori do the same thing with sit.....I can stand there and preach to the choir, but if i go for my pocket, they both plop their butts down...go figure! I'd say they're pretty darn smart!!!!

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

When I first taught Savannah "shake" she wouldn't do it unless she saw a treat in my hand. Now she will do it without a treat. It took a while to get her to that point so don't give up. It will happen. :D

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

LOL! The expression on Finch's face is priceless.

Every morning for as long as I can remember when my DH and I have our morning coffee, I started giving Scully a small rawhide bone as her "morning wake-up" treat. I started telling her to sit and then I'd give her the bone. One day I realized I stopped saying sit and as soon as I take the container out she automatically sits. I always say "And now Scully Squires will perform her one and only trick (and act of obedience)." Now if I could only teach her not to bark at anything with wheels I'd be in Heaven!

SHAKE is going to be the next thing we teach Barney, IF we can get him to sit still long enough and keep his attention! Well, come to think of it, a treat keeps him riveted! I have a feeling we are not going to get anywhere with it until he's a bit older though! :lol:

Such precious faces...... You just want to kiss'em to pieces! :wub:

Barney has learned beyond a shadow of a doubt that he must sit in order to get a treat. Therefore, whenever I am in the kitchen fixing dinner, or we are all sitting at the table eating, he is in a perpetual state of "sit"! And of course, looking up at you with those "melt your heart" eyes! Is it any wonder WE are the ones who get trained? :P

beglook.jpg

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Cairn's have beautiful brown eyes, don't they? Here are Scout's. Her eyes seem to go right to your soul.

july5thscoutr0st.jpg

You are not going to believe what Finch did this morning. Yep, she shook hands with me without a treat! I was sitting at the kitchen table and Finch was right next to me (as always), with the frisbee right by her feet (as always. :D ). She shook hands every time I asked her.....the little dickens! I should have waited one more day to post! :wub:

Archived