CairnTalk

Heat in Cairn

Lynn

What is the typical age a female cairn goes into heat. My Riley is 7mths old and just being a terror lately. I can't get her fixed right now and am wondering how much time I have.

undefined

I don't know about little girl Cairns, but Barney is 4 months old and is already showing signs that he is becoming sexually mature. He's already "hugging" our legs! :shy::shy:

My vet said he would be ready to be neutered between 4 and 6 months of age, so I would say your little girl is more than ready to be spayed. Amazing how young they are to get those lovely urges! :shock:

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Mine are 4 months old and I too am in a race against the "heat" - my vet said that he wants my smaller girl to be bigger before spaying as she weighs a lot less - but I'd prefer to have them done at the same time - so I might have one that goes into heat before the other or before I get a chance to spay. I heard that it's not a huge big deal if they're inside and watched etc. And I'd guard them dearly so hopefully if it does happen before I get a chance to spay them both it won't be difficult to deal with. I'm not sure how messy we're talking about as I've never had one go into heat....

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Archived