CairnTalk

Caring for salty paws

Barney's Mom

We are planning our first trip to the beach with Barney and I had some questions for those of you who have taken your dogs into the sand and surf!

I am thinking of Barney's double coat and sand getting down under that fur!! :confused: If he has been playing and digging in the sand, is just a good water bath enough when he gets back to the house? How about if he goes for a dip? Will I need to give him a soap bath to get the fishy smell out of him? I keep reading that you shouldn't give Cairns a lot of baths, so if he goes in the water every day, I would be giving him a bath every day, and I think that would irritate his skin. I read somewhere, maybe here, that you should water down the shampoo 4 to 1 so it isn't irritating. Maybe that would help.

I just want to be prepared and know what to expect and what to do, and make sure I bring what I need from home to keep him nice and tidy. Don't want him to smell like a washed up seabass either! :sick:

Thanks, ya'll! :)

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

We just got back from our annual beach vacation. This was the 2nd time with the dogs, and we had a great time! Neither one of mine enjoy the water too much, but Petey will wade in the ocean up to his knees. Of course, they both like to DIG and were constantly chasing after crabs and digging in the sand - it would be flying all over. All we did was simply rinse the pups off when we came back from the beach. It was fairly easy because our beach house had an outdoor shower with a hand held shower nozzle, or sometimes we'd just hold their feet under the faucet outside. Also, for any sand left behind, a good brushing would do the trick when dry. Don't forget to take your grooming kit with you.

Also, you may want to get a longer leash (ours are 20+ feet) and a harness while on the beach. That way, they can run and play. We were fortunate enough to be at a fairly secluded and dog-friendly beach (St. George Island in Florida), so that was fun. Be sure to check the local leash laws and also if the beach is dog-friendly. Some beaches allow dogs any time, but others only allow them at certain hours, like EARLY morning or late afternoons and evenings. It apparently varies from town to town.

The biggest problem we have at the beach is with sand spurs. Depending upon where you go, they may be a problem. Be sure to inspect their feet and bellies after being outside. Belle had a tendancy to get them between her toes - ouch!! She is so picky about her feet when we go to the beach, and we are constantly checking her. She will simply lay down and refuse to walk until you check her feet.

Have fun on your vacation. Hope you have great weather. I know you will have a great time and so will your pup!

Great advice!! Thank you!

I have had personal experience :( with sand spurs! The place we used to stay on the beach had a big long grassy (?) area in front. Those things are nasty to step on, and I can't imagine a dog getting one in between the pads of its feet! Big OUCH!

After 4 years staying in Kill Devil Hills (Outer Banks, NC) we can no longer stay at the place we love because they don't allow pets! :mad: So we found a nice spot in Avon, down by Hatteras. It is not as populated as KDH, which is nice, and they allow dogs. The Outer Banks website has all the leash law info for each town, which I printed out and have handy.

I have a harness and 20 ft. lead for Barney, so I should be good to go! He rather hates the harness, but I think by the time we go in September, it should fit him nicely and he won't be so bothered by it!

The only thing I dread about our vacation is the 18 hour drive with Barney in his crate! Lots of potty/run around stops! And of course the hotel stay overnight! Oh yea, and hurricane season!! But it's worth it! I LIVE for the beach and I can't wait to share it with Barney! It will be DIGGING HEAVEN!!

One of the neat features about a double coat is that the sand just shakes out of it after a while. We took a trip to the beach and Barley was covered in sand. We put her in her travel crate for the trip home planning to give her a bath when we got home. When we opened the crate there was a pile of sand on the floor and not a grain on her. As AllAboutPetey suggests, a simple rinse with water will deal with salt if it's a problem.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

:offtopic: because I am not going to be able to take Pepper the Cairn and Henry the Westie along on MY beach vacation which is with family across the country in N.W. Florida, later in July. HOWEVER, About Petey's note referred to St. George Island and we are going to Seagrove Beach, which is maybe 50 or so miles away. And hopefully, almost as beautiful. I am so excited!! Just wish the dogs could go, but it could get a little interesting to get me, my mom, who is 87 years young and traveling with me, and two terriers tranferring through the Atlanta airport. :w00t:

Pam

Lucky for us the beach house we are renting on Bald Head North Carolina allows for dogs ! We've had Rusty just a year this month - and last year, we had to leave him with a friend. He was just too young to travel. The logistics of the trip include a 12 hour drive, a boat trip and a tram ride. I'm glad to hear of the caution of paw preditators and the ease of keeping them sand free. If any of you have any stories or experiences at this beach with your cairn's - would love to hear more . He is so much a part of our family - we can't wait to bring him along.

Lesley

Even worse than the spurs are the little low growing cactuses in the grass. You can barely see them, but my daughter walked off the path at the Wright Brothers Museaum in Outer Banks in pursuit of a lizard and had a thorn go all the way through her flip flop! I can't imagine what that would have done to a tender little paw!! Ouch!

Help ! We are at the NC beach - and poor Rusty has picked up sand spurs. Does anyone know of a technique to remove these? He's limping and gives a fight when we try to loosen them? Thanks - Lesley

I would say to enlist some help to hold him and just pull, comb, or cut them out. I read a tip somewhere (here maybe?) to moisten your fingers (lick them even) before touching the spurs. This little bit of moisture will hopefully cause them not to stick in your fingers. Sand spurs are horrible!!! I hate them!!!!

Another trick I read and will try next time we go to the beach. Drag a terry cloth towel around the area where you will be walking him before you go out. It will pick up a lot of the spurs that otherwise are just waiting like little bombs in the grass.

Archived