CairnTalk

New here

SaFireCarin

Hi everyone. I'm new here to the board. I have one carin, Nessie (named for the scottish monster she can be!), who just had her 15th birthday 2 weeks ago! She's getting to be a very old lady. I look forward to reading all your posts and getting to know everyone. We are looking at getting a carin puppy when Nessie passes away but until then, I look forward to sharing our life with you.

:D Welcome!

WOW! And, I thought our older female Cairn was gettin' up there nearing age 12! Glad to hear that she might have a few years left as we simply adore her!

We already made the plunge this summer and got a new Cairn, a male this time. We were concerned with our older Cairn's attitiude and adjustment but they are now great buddies. She runs and plays alot more than she used to but then again he pesters her so much, she doesn't have much choice! When she sleeps now, she is TOTALLY zonked.

Again, welcome! And, look forward to hearing your Cairn stories!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Thanks for your welcome. :) Yes, Nessie still can be a monster at 15, but only for short bursts of time. Her seemingly boundless energy amazes me at her old age, although she does sleep a lot when we're not there, I'm sure. She is still very spry, although she can't get up and down stairs as easily and does have a few bladder issuses because she's just old. She's still very fun to have around though!

Thanks for the idea about getting a new puppy now. It's still in the planning stages but it's nice to know that if we find the right dog now, that Nessie will be okay with a puppy. She'd probably like the company. :)

Congrats on the new joy you have. We have a two year old female with a hopefully, God willing, a puppy in the works, literally. We find our girl gets lonely when left. Her buddy the cat, Autumn, is older and doesn't play as much as she use to. :rolleyes: We play and walk with her but I think and my husband agrees that a puppy is needed. They are such a joy. All cairns are a gift! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

We thought our Molly had "bladder problems" but when we took her to a "REALLY good vet" it turned out she had kidney stones, was operated on for them, and that solved the problem. She had about 1/2 cup of kidney stones in that tiny little body!!!!!

Thanks for the tip! Her vet checked her out for those on her last visit, and said he didn't find any but he wouldn't operate on her anyway because she's so old and older dogs don't always come out of the anesthetics. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. But I'll bring it up again at her next wellness check. :)

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome. I'm new here also. I got my Cairn puppy Holly on December 14 and joined shortly thereafter. I've found this to be a great group to join. I'm glad to hear your dog i 14, I haven't owned a dog that lived beyond 10 years and it is just so sad to lose them. I'm glad I'll have many years (though she wears me out) with Holly. ;)

Archived