CairnTalk

When is it best to register?

goforette

Brystal and Hollie have registration papers that I need to send in, but I wanted to submit photo along with registration, however Brystal's one ears hasn't fully stood up yet. Should I wait until they're closer to around 6 months before I submit their paperwork and wait for Brystal's last ear to stand up? I know there's an extra fee after a certain amount of time to submit their paperwork. And I'm not sure if it's beneficial to order their generation charts?

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Breeders typically provide you with a pedigree for free. They are usually 'deeper' (four, five or even more generations) than the AKC 3-generation pedigree, but on the other hand the AKC ones are very nicely printed - suitable for framing. The information on any pedigree is useful to breeders and for anyone it's fun to find and trace relatives. But on average, all the information you really need to enter in the full spectrum of AKC events will be on the ownership slip you get after registering (registration number and sire and dam info).

I'm clueless about sending in a picture. What's that all about? I think the late registration penalty kicks in at one year, and then goes up again at two years.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I just mailed the registration for Sasha and Riley who are 10 weeks. I did not see on the application or even one line about submitting pictures.

There is a type of registration for rescue dogs that requires a photo to document breed....wasn't aware that it was needed on regular registration

Sophie

Image032.jpg

I should look at the papers again - I know the photo was optional and it said something about being framed that they'd send you something along with the photo that you provided. I'll look at it again this evening. I know it was like $40 or so I think for each dog to register and more if you wanted generational history etc. I guess I could always contact the breeders too - they're in a different state but I have all of their info. I've just never owned a dog with papers before so it's all pretty new to me. When I purchased them they said I didn't have to send in my papers unless I intended to show them - but I think it would be nice to have just because either way.

Ah, the optional thing makes a bit more sense. AKC has been steadily working to generate additional revenue - hence the various levels of registration packages over and above the basic registration. I believe one term for it is upselling - "would you like fries with that for just $0.99 extra?"

You'll definitely want to be registered to do earthdog, agility, obedience, tracking, or rally.

I don't know anything about the other magazine(s) they may have, but I find the AKC Gazette to be a good quality magazine.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

Yeah it sounded like I had different package options... and of course I love my girls to death so I'm sure I'll go for all the fries and milkshake options! HA! I guess if it's nothing that the AKC needs and more just for my own records then it probably doesn't matter that I have one pup with only one ear up. I think it's more to register maybe 6 months - and maybe she'll sprout her other ear here soon.... :)

Barney's registration just had Gold Package, Silver Package, and Lost and Found option. I didn't really want the magazine (too many at my house already!) or the dog training video, so I just went for the Silver package. As far as late fees, I think they give you a lot of time to be late! I think most people send theirs in right away.

Question for you Brad

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

I'm no expert and I think various breeders may apply limited registration for various reasons. My observation is generally speaking it simply means that a responsible breeder with an active interest in preserving "Cairn type" has assessed that it is in the best interest of the breed that the dog not be bred. Therefore, no offspring of the limited registration dog can be registered with the AKC should the owner break their contract with the breeder and breed the dog anyway.

AKC conformation shows are ostensibly about evaluation of breeding stock(*) so other than the narrow limitation against conformation showing and registering offspring, there is no lesser or greater privilege or cost or benefit or detriment to limited registration. The dog is registered. Go forth and enjoy dog sports with your pal!

The question you ask about 'lesser quality' is a touchy one and people can get very defensive. What does 'lesser quality' mean to you?

* There exists some debate as to the logic of prohibiting altered (spay/neutered) dogs from being shown.

You know I was wondering about the spaying/neutering being considered alteration for showing purposes. I'm not sure I'd have the availablity/time to show or get my girls into showing mode, but always wondered how the showing process would be. If we went forward with spaying in 3-4 months and decided down the road to show would it still be possible due to the debate on altered dogs?

I shouldn't have said debate. Perhaps a more accurate way might have been to say simply say the AKC logic is debatable. (What isn't?) I would not hold my breath waiting for the AKC to change the longstanding requirement that dogs be intact.

Most breeders who feel a dog is (or likely to become) showable will generally make that clear from the outset and your contract will reflect that. If you're curious about how your dog stacks up to the standard, attend a Cairn specialty and spend some time looking at the exhibits and talking to their owners about their own dogs and what they like and what they are trying to improve. (It's human nature that you're more likely to hear about what's wrong with the *other* dogs!)

A good way to learn about showing is to simply become active in a breed club and start attending local shows, hanging around, and helping a bit. *After* you have seen a large number of Cairns who are actively being shown, you might then consider showing your dog to a breeder or handler to get an assessement. Some will be gentler than others and opinions will vary. That's why I feel it's more important to see a lot of 'quality' Cairns first. It makes it easier to be critical or at least realistic about our own dogs, while still acknowledging their good points.

Thank you so much for all of the information. It's all so interesting to me. And who knows like you said if mine would even have the talent/positive standards that they would need to be shown without some feedback and opinions. Right now I can't even seem to potty train let alone prance properly on a leash.... HA! But I love learning about it - and reading information regarding it. I could only imagine that someday they'd be well behaved enough to participate in such a thing.... HA! But the little terrors have stolen my heart regardless.... no manners yet and all.... HA!

Bradl, what you described is exactly what our breeder explained to us. Our little Digger comes to us with limited registration, and we did sign a spay/neuter agreement with the breeder. He is very serious about maitaning the quality of his kennels lines, and Digger's Dad and Aunt are local area Champions. And though Digger is nothing less than high quality, he isn't breeding quality. We understood and respected his knowledge and judgement, especially after seeing his show dogs and breed stock. We respected his love for his dogs.

We had no intention of showing Digger, although I think he could win (don't we all). My choice for this breed was for a companion animal, and as far as that goes, I think we got a keeper. However, he is only 10 weeks old (today), so we'll see how I feel as we enter the teen years.

Ang.

Regardless of our breeders specifications, I don't think we could breed Barney if we wanted to because he has about an inch of white hairs on his tail, which according to books I've read, is not good because Cairns must never have white on them.

Oh well, we love him anyway, white hairs and all!

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Archived