CairnTalk

Grooming Lesson #1

Tracy A.

Hi All:

Well on Saturday I spent several hours learning how to groom a Cairn correctly. I really got lucky and found a confirmation breeder who also has a grooming business in her home. (This is the Cincinnati/Dayton Ohio area) So we worked on my worst grooming gremlin Mettwurst first :devil: and I do have some nicks/bruises to show for it tooo :shock: But I really am proud of him for putting up with us for 2 hours and we got his nails trimmed! That's a big deal- sure it took two of us, but it got done!

Mett Before

mettfacecloseup.JPG

Mett After

Cute Carrot like tail!

DSCN1074.JPG

MettBody.JPG

[DSCN1083.JPG

MettFace.JPG

In two weeks I go back, and my homework is to do Brattwurst on my own. Thankfully If i'm a bad student she does grooming tooo! Same price. I think i'm getting a great deal, 25.00 an hour and Mett took two hours- Out here a bath and nail trim at a groomer runs 40.00!

My husband says Mett isn't as cute in the Face, but that's my fault. I hand stripped his head several weeks ago and took too much off, so to even it out he has shorter face/head furnishings. I did opt to scissor his leggs & underside. His head was scissored a bit to even it out after stripping. His ears were completely stripped to promote hair growth (he did not like that). We also had to even out some divits I left by using my MCK. I learned so much, and who would have thought that a 1.99 pumice stone would be worth it's weight in gold!

So we're all done with my lesson, and my grooming guru says "Let me show you my puppies". :shock:

First words out of my mouth "If I come home with a Puppy my husband will Divorce me", I showed great willpower over the 9 week old Gremlins in training, who were as cute as can be. Thankfully they won't be ready for new homes for several more months....

She showed me her entire kennel, and all the Cairn's were all so nice looking. I realized how little they look vs Mett & Bratt. 5 lbs makes a big difference! Of course almost all of them had finished their Championships...so it's really no comparison to the Wurst Bros.

Little does Brattwurst know what Lies ahead for him on the grooming table

DSCN10751.jpg

DSCN1065.JPG

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Hi Tracy,

I thnk Mett is looking pretty adorable. You have done a great job with him!

I have been working on my little girl, Lexi, for over a week now.

You did give me a great idea about the lessons. I hope to talk with the groomer about the possibility of giving me a few much needed pointers.

I think I may have overdone the handstripping on her front left leg (okay, i KNOW I overdid iton that leg).

God willing it will grow back fine & Lexi will forgive me as well!

I need to find a pumice stone for sure. I did not use any scisssors.

Good luck with your "homework",

Barbara

Hi Tracy,

You did give me a great idea about the lessons. I hope to talk with the groomer about the possibility of giving me a few much needed pointers.

I think I may have overdone the handstripping on her front left leg (okay, i KNOW I overdid iton that leg).

God willing it will grow back fine & Lexi will forgive me as well!

I need to find a pumice stone for sure. I did not use any scisssors.

Barbara

Hi Barbara:

Yes, thankfully hair does grow back! I got a sqare pumice stone in the foot section at walmart, and broke it in half, it was easy to snap. Then use the pumice stone and a thumb to strip hair! work in sections using using a comb to and your other fingers to form a section (like your hair dresser does when cutting your hair)

the hard part is where to stop!

WOW, he looks great!! I'm going to look for a groomer who will give me lessons. I had a master groomer teach me to do Wheaten Terriers and I bet she knows how to groom a Cairn! I'm calling her today!

You have given me inspiration. How old are Cairns when they are in full coat? Angus seems short to me for 5 months old. By now I would have given a Wheaten several groomings.

WOW, he looks GREAT! I'm going to look for a groomer who will give me lessons. I had a master groomer teach me to do Wheaten Terriers and I bet she knows how to groom a Cairn. I'm calling her today!

You have given me inspiration. How old are Cairns when they are in full coat? Angus seems short to me for 5 months old. By now I would have given a Wheaten several groomings.

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

he looks wonderful....good job! I'll be out soon...you can help me!!! LOL

Hey Terry:

My parents live in the Northern Subs of Chicago, we end up going up to see them about twice a year. :thumbsup: Our next visit will be around Xmas.

Tracy

Hey Tracy,

Great job! When are you in Georgia?? :D

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

On your way to Georgia please cruise CT and stop on by. I have 3 who could use a professional touch!

You did an awesome job. He looks fabulous :thumbsup:

Wow - it's so great to see what my girls are going to potentially look like when they get older.... so cute. They turned out really nice - we're going to introduce the "brush" to my girls this evening. Hope it goes well.... it's a shame my girls are too young for them .... HA HA.... they're such little stud muffins....

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Hey Terry:

My parents live in the Northern Subs of Chicago, we end up going up to see them about twice a year. :thumbsup: Our next visit will be around Xmas.

Tracy

Tracy, we're taking a trip to OH this summer in the motor monster to see friends, i'll have to see where everyone is located, would be fun to meet.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Hey Terry:

Tracy

Tracy, we're taking a trip to OH this summer in the motor monster to see friends, i'll have to see where everyone is located, would be fun to meet.

Just PM when you have a target date, and come over for Lunch/Dinner/Grooming LOL. Also I think you pass through on your way to FL each year?

Tracy

Nope, dont even go close to OH on the way to FL. straight down IL to KY to TN to AL to FL. No moutains that way.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

We are all in AWE. He looks wonderful. I would love to have some personal coaching. I have stripped Crunch to the point that he looks like a little red fox instead of a dog and his hair is just not growing back...Gus has so much hair that I keep stripping a little every week and can barely tell a difference. Oh , well...

On your way to Georgia please cruise CT and stop on by. I have 3 who could use a professional touch!

You did an awesome job. He looks fabulous :thumbsup:

Sandy- you crack me up. We'll be on vacation in Oct. on the east coast, Maine, Westchester County Ny, NYC.

What a handsome fellow you've got there!! How did you get that beautiful carrot tail???

Tails are hard, and I really didn't understand how to do them until I saw it done... sorry.

Archived