CairnTalk

Barked at thunder

Darcy's Mom

Last evening a thunderstorm rolled in and the thunder was tremendous and sounded very close. No rain, just the thunder. Well, as we all know what brave Cairns we have when it comes to thunder, I expected Darcy to be in my husband's lap cowering as she usually does. I had to change my hummingbird feeder so I started out the back door onto the deck and Darcy went crazy barking at the thunder! She was a wild woman!! She's never done this before and I thought it was so weird, I was wondering if anybody else has a pup that barks at thunder or am I the only one with a strange pup? Like I said, usually she has attached herself to me or my hubby like Crazy Glue when it thunders. She hates it.

Chase did the barking at it so one time I let him out in the back yard before the rain and he ran the fence and barked at it the BIG dog that he is until there was one big bolt flashed and made a cracking whip noise, he tucked his tail, came back in and got in his crate and did not make a peep the rest of the night.

Now Gus is still young 7months and whimpers at the sounds. If it happens and I am up, I will sit in the room and watch TV where they can see me but I do not go over to the crates, get them out and hold them or have any conversation with them. They see I'm there and usually relax.

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

Mett & Bratt bark back at thunder. If it's thundering at bed time we've more than once had to take them to bed with us to keep them silent. Or it could just be a ploy to get into your bed.....

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Bear barks at thunder, too. He gets very wild....running around at full speed, jumping up and off the furniture....just crazy stuff. If I let him out, he barks just as crfazily only then I can't get him to come in...even if it's raining. Thus, I don't let him out. I really wish I could find a solution because Bear's behavior is annoying. I try to hold him in my lap and calm him down, but it doesn't work for more than a few minutes. I'm open to suggestions for coping with this.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!! :)

Marge

I'm probably so mean ... but I was trying to encourage my little girls that weather is no big deal. We had a thunder storm too and I could tell they were looking to see how I was going to react to it so they knew what they should do with the nosie - so I just went about my business as soon as felt it was safe (lightening quit etc....) I put their little butts outside in the rain. It was their first I'm in bad weather experience. First they looked at me like you've got to be kidding... then both together they pulled their ears back (which was hillarous - never seen a dog do that and I wonder if it's just a Cairn thing) and off they went getting soaked to pee and poop in the yard. Their ears remained tucked and down until they got in and poof they went and ran to me for a towel.... I was so proud - let's hope they know how to cope with the snow..... darn Colorado weather!

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Ya'lls posts are so funny. Aren't these little dogs amazing? I sorta like to think that when I opened the door to go out and a loud crash of thunder hit at that exact moment, that Darcy thought she was protecting me from it by barking her little head off. Any other time she's buried in someone's lap if it's thundering and lightning. I'm not looking forward to the 4th of July for that very reason. Maybe a little something to calm her down might be in order - Children's Benadryl perhaps? It makes Molly very sleepy and mellow when I give it to her for her itching.

I give Benedryl to our Dalmatian, primarly for allergies but have used it to calm her (with the Vet's okay)when fireworks are being shot off in our neighborhood. She gets VERY stressed by fireworks. She destroyed a reinforced wire crate in her panic due to fireworks. I knew they were going to be set off and had crated and medicated her before I left the house. I was gone longer than anticipated and her meds wore off. I now NEVER leave if I know there will be extended usage. Unfortunatley where we live it is a year around thing (they are brought up from Mexico and it is not unusual to see professional ones. Yes they are illegal here). I do have perscription doggie valium for her...but it is very strong and I usually only use it on New Years, Cinco de Mayo and July 4th.

Our Cairn will bark at them, but they do not phase her. Nothing does :!:

As far as thunder is concerned. We do not get the big thunderstorms here in Northern California that other regions of the country get. So the wee 'lil dog has not heard real thunder yet. Interestingly enough thunder does not bother the Dalmatian in the least. :confused:

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

I also took Saidi outside in her first storm after coming home with us. She was only 6 months old and was a little apprehensive. For the first couple of minutes she stayed right next to me and would not leave my side. However, I got a ball and started playing with her and soon the thunder was nothing to her. Now when it storms she does not give it a second thought except to refuse to go outside to potty. I have to walk out with her and keep demanding "Saidi, go potty" till she gives up and gets her feet wet.

Fireworks are also no big deal to her. Last year my DD and her cousin were setting off fireworks and Saidi had to be held back to keep her from checking out just what it was all about. She would sit and look up every time one was launched. Now my brothers Sheltie is horrified when there are fireworks and thunder. He will hide and shake the whole time.

Fireworks and thunder mean BIG TIME barking at our house. I think I'm the one who needs the Benedryl to knock ME out.

You can add my Madison to the list too.

All she has to do is hear a rumble of thunder in the far distance and she begins her storm dance....jumping, barking, pacing. I would love to be able to hold her in my lap but she cannot be comforted or contained. And when those big booms hit, even I find myself getting nervous. I'm sure she picks up on my anxiety also.

I never thought about Benadryl to calm her down. I will be giving my vet a call tomorrow seeing the 4th of July is right around the corner.

Last year I gave up going to a firework display with my family so I could stay home with Maddy seeing some of our neighbors let them off.

I think I'll try the children's Benadryl the next time we have a storm and for fireworks, too. We have some neighbors who have been setting off firecrackers the last few nights. Poor Bear goes nuts. The noises don't seem to bother the other dogs. Of course, the older one is getting pretty deaf because in the past the noises have scared her. The Golden Retriever puppy may not have enough sense to be scared. :lol: Anyway, how much of the benadryl should I give to Bear? Is there an easy way to administer the dosage? I appreciate the help.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!! :D

Marge

You may want to check with your vet first, but I give Molly (approx. 22 lbs.) one dissolvable Children's Benadryl. I just pop it in her mouth and hold her mouth closed for about 10 seconds so it has time to dissolve. In about an hour, she's yawning and looking for her bed to go to sleep. I don't know if it will keep her completely calm during the fireworks or not but it will take the edge off. Let me know how it works. I'll also be giving Darcy one because she's worse with loud noises than Molly.

Archived