Doral Publishing

1st Edition 1st Printing.

Softcover 302 pages

Trade PB New, unused book.

Glossy pictorial wraps.

Bibliography.

Index.

B&W Photographs

The first of a two-volume work about the Terriers of the British Isles.

From the back cover:

"Terriers of Scotland and Ireland is a terrier social history. It is more concerned about their working and companion qualities and with the origins of the breed than in detailing the qualities of big prizewinners. The book is historically accurate and provides the professional dog owner with the data needed to develop an improved breeding program. Whether you're a professional or an amateur dog owner, you'll have endless hours of enjoyable reading...

The Cairn section is 28 pages. Dr. Cummins lives in Canada. The AKC Library in New York City recently acquired this book. My local library ordered this book. It

Guest Sean Albert

Attachment

http://www.countrysportsandcountrylife.com...dog/history.htm

History of the British Dog

It is estimated that the dog Canis Familiaris was first domesticated in 10,000BC. The Oldest European dog remains from Star Carr Yorkshire are dated at c 7538 BC.

These records and the history of the domestic dog in Britain are well chronicled in an excellent book " The British Dog - Its History from Earliest Times by Dr Cameron i.A. Ritchie published by Robert Hale Lte, London in 1981.

Ritchie in " a Short Chronology of the British Dog" lgives a very comprehensive listing of the references to dogs in British literature and history including:

Click image to enlarge

63-21 BC Strabo mentions the export of Hunting dogs from Britain

c50 AD The sons of Uisnech flee from Ulster to Scotland taking 150 hounds with them

c80-120 AD Occupation of Corbridge Roman Station in Northumberland by a garrison whose dogs have been identified as 'bassets' and 'small greyhounds'

161-180 AD Oppian describes a British dog called the agassaeus - probably a terrier

727 or 730 AD The death of St Hubert, Bishop of Liege

This is another cut and paste job from another list. Please do not do that.

My idea of a combined thread for book reviews was a poor one. I'm skeptical that anyone will wade through to find a recomendation for, say, Mother Knows Best by Carol Lea Benjamin (a book that recommends puppy owners think like a litter dam or littermate when trying to understand puppy behavior and how to shape it) or A Day in the Life of Murhpy (a children's book with charming cairn-like antics and illustrations) amidst lengthy transriptions. So with that I'll encourage contributors to start a fresh, new topic for each individual book they might like to recommend or discuss.

Feel free to start one for The Terriers of Scotland and Ireland. If you can, please make an effort to emphasize your own original contribution in favor of extended quotations. Transcriptions are indeed a valuable resource and visitors to Cairn Talk are encouraged to subscribe to the Yahoo Cairn History Group if that is an area of interest.

As I have regrettably managed to derail my own thread, topic locked in hopes of a fresh new batch.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived