CairnTalk

A New Discovery

goforette

Hollie and Brystal have both made their first nature discoveries. Yesterday evening we realized the beauty of a butterfly. A white butterfly gently fluttered in the garden and they stopped dead in their tracks just to sit and patiently watch. They had no desire to chase or eat it, just to look at it's wonder. It was simply precious.

Then I was bringing them in and they discovered they're sharing a home with a pet tutle (Stuie Nitro) - who lives in a child's wadding pool in my living room. Before I could catch Hollie she jumped on the side to look in - I had a moment of panic - but Hollie jumped back just terrified of the turtle (thank goodness) although I'm not sure she'll maintain her fear (she's fearless) - so I'll have to put a pen around the turtle for safety as I hear Cairns are rodent hunters and Stuie might just fit that category.

Then this morning we discovered the squirrel - yes fat and harry - looked a lot like them - even about the right size right now. All was well and they didn't even really care about the squirrel until it starting making clicking sounds and egging the two of them on.... (darn squirrel) and off they went - oh boy.... thank goodness for a well fenced yard. I thought I'd never get the two of them back in the house again. They were standing their ground and were going to wait an eternity for the squirrel to return for round 2... I guess it's a friendship that won't develop...

I can only imagine how many more discoveries they will make (hopefully only good ones) - as they just learned how to unlock their pee pad tray to get the liner out.... lovely.

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Sophie was a breeding mill throw away when she came to us in Oct. This spring has been full of these types of wonderous surprises. It makes me grin when she discovers something new. Enjoy them, it's a cool time in their lives when everything is new.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

....Speaking of turtles. The other afternoon, the boys and I were outside, when what should I hear? I went to investigate, and see what the boys were so bent out of shape over. Well, the poor turtle was on its back, closed up tight, and both the dogs were digging and barking at it's shell! Poor thing was terrified I am sure. I took the turtle away and put it outside the fence. Out of sight out of mind, right? HA, thats what I thought. They barked at the place where they knew I had put the turtle periodically all evening! My big strong protectors, what would I do without my ten foot tall, bullet proof pups??!!

Valerie

....Speaking of turtles. The other afternoon, the boys and I were outside, when what should I hear? I went to investigate, and see what the boys were so bent out of shape over. Well, the poor turtle was on its back, closed up tight, and both the dogs were digging and barking at it's shell! Poor thing was terrified I am sure. I took the turtle away and put it outside the fence. Out of sight out of mind, right? HA, thats what I thought. They barked at the place where they knew I had put the turtle periodically all evening! My big strong protectors, what would I do without my ten foot tall, bullet proof pups??!!

Valerie

Gosh I hope they don't do this with Stuie Nitro - I'm affraid that I've made Stuie too comfortable and he won't close up in his shell in time.... that's the only bad thing to having a terrier...they just love to play with critters too much - I'll definately have to protect them from each other.....

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Archived