CairnTalk

So glad I found this forum...

Barbi Q

I just registered on this forum after finding the link on the CTCA home page. I must confess that I was searching for a resource to find a home for my 16-month old Cairn, Glory, when I came across this forum. After reading several posts on various topics, I realized that I would be making a mistake by getting rid of my little dog. We got Glory last April from my husband's friend, who is a breeder. We wanted our daughter to have a puppy, and pet to grow up with, and our friend told us that cairns are great with children. We are just not "dog people" and have struggled with housetraining, obedience training, and just plain and simple "liking the dog" since she came into our home. She jumps all over our daughter, age 2 1/2, scratches up her legs, chews up her toys, barks at everything that moves in the neighborhood, digs up the yard, and has stained up the carpet in every room in our house! After reading posts on the forum, I realize that these are challenges of cairns and it is my responsibility to mold her into the pet that we have so long desired! So, I am now determined to reinvest my patience and time into this sweet little dog, and help her to be a most lovable, fun and terrific pet!

Thanks to all of you for being part of this great resource for Cairn owners!

I am now proud to say, that I am one of you!!

PS: And Glory thanks you, too! :hug:

"God may not always give us answers, but He always gives us grace."

Barbi,

I am about to become a mom (Sunday) to a Cairn puppy, and have relied on this incredible group of people for guidance, assurance, and education.

I have been fond of this breed for years, but from afar. When I spoke to friends about getting such a puppy they told me they were way too high maintenance. And, from this forum, I have discovered that...indeed they are. But, what they are giving back to their families, as I'm sure you have read, is ten-fold what I'm willing to do for him. So I take the challenge with great pride.

Thank you for not giving up....Give Glory that chance. We are all in this Cairn life together, and can lean on eachother at a moments notice.

Good Luck!!!

Ang.

Ang,

You must be so excited! I know I was eager to get Glory as a puppy, then things just went awry! You seem to have the right outlook and have done some research...things I wish I had done in the beginning. I feel like the first year with Glory has been wasted on frustration and regret. I hope I can turn it all around. Thanks for your encouragement, and congratulations on the new addition to your family! I'll be anxious to see how your weekend goes.

Ang, I remember the excitment I felt both times I was about to get my Cairn puppy. It's terrific. Terrific post, BTW, to Barbi.

Barbi, first of all - welcome to the Cairn family here and welcome to little Glory. I LOVE her name. I hope that you WILL keep trying with Glory. I went back and re-read the problems you are having with her. I might be way off base, but I think all those issues aren't just "Cairn" traits - those come with almost all dogs IMHO. I remember the personal trainer we had come to the home tell us that he is there to train US, not the dog so much. Arm yourself with as much information as possible through reading here or books, perhaps look into training at PetSmart or someplace like that.

The love that Glory will give you guys, especially your daughter, will outweigh peeing on the floor ANY day. Trust me!

Again, welcome - and can't wait to see pictures of Glory and Ang, of your new puppy!

I love the ending to your post, Barbi. There have been times I wanted to pack all three of mine up and send them to Brad :lol: (only kidding)

They are a very demanding breed but their few faults definately give way to the fun, joy, entertainment and love you get from them. I'm hooked....what can I say?

Glad to have you with us and keep us posted on your progress with Glory....and post pics if you can.

Sandy

Barbi

Having worked with many rescue families over the years I can offer you the advice I have given them. Get some help from a qualified trainer that understands terriers, use a crate, and be consistent. Dogs love consistency and order. They like having rules and knowing you are in charge (Alpha). Terriers are a special kind of dog and it takes a special kind of person to love and understand them. You have the love part down already, and are committed to making this work. A "well behaved" terrier is a happy dog (note: well behaved is subjective when you're talking terrier - we all have our own definition of what that is!) The efforts you put into Glory will be rewarded. You will end up with a wonderful family companion in the end. Good luck and keep us posted!

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

Barbi, i dont know what area of IN you're in, but my trainer in South Beloit, IL is a wonderful trainer.....she raises and breeds Lakelands, and has a long history with earthdogs. PM me if you'd like her phone or website. She's a no nonsense trainer, my girls have come a long way since going to her. I'm the downfall in the plan!!!!

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice. I will definitely look into some obedience training. The closest PetSmart is an hour away, but a local vet has some training classes available. I hope it's not too late!

I have decided that we are going to start taking daily walks in the neighborhood or park. And I have already decreased the amount of time she spends meandering alone in the back yard, and brought her into the house to socialize with us more.

I'll certainly keep everyone posted on our progress. Thanks again!

Archived