CairnTalk

does it need to be MCK?

jansop

Ebay has some tools that look like the MCK. They're a few dollars cheaper.

Are they worth it or should one stick with MCK?

I'm still procrastinating getting one because I can't decide on a 12 or 16.................jan

jan

He who laughs last thinks slow.

Honestly I would go with the Mars...They are well made, their replacement blades fit perfectly and although the ones you saw on Ebay may be decent, who knows if they will do the same job as the Mars will.

I went through the same process. I couldn't decide on a size and the different brands were cheaper. I wanted the best and frankly this was a thought worthy expense. I finally bought a MCK 12 blade. I really like it, it's easy to use and Sophie's coat looks really good. To me it was a good investment.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

I went though the same thing when trying to figure out what i'd buy. In the end after all my price comparing and shopping, I got mine at the Col. Potter mall website. I bought the 16 blade that they sell, and it does a great job.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

post-1585-1150130485_thumb.jpgI too am new to Cairn grooming (the girls had their first bath 2 days ago) what exactly is a Mars or MCK? Just like an electric brush/clipper? Is it something I'll need to invest in for the two of them?
Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

The MCK is something that all Cairn owners should have. It is a grooming tool that is the closest thing that you can get to stripping them without actually doing it. (FYI - Stripping is the preferred method for grooming Cairns that consists of pulling out their hair rather than clipping or cutting. Clipping/cutting makes the hair soft. Stripping makes it grow back in wiry and waterproof which is how the proper Cairn coat should be.) The MCK works just like a brush but pulls the longest hairs out for you. Of course hand stripping makes them look even better than the MCK but the MCK is great for use in between major strippings or for those who have pet Cairns and not show Cairns and aren't so concerned with a show coat.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Thanks so much for the info on the MCK. Do you just obtain one like at Petsmart? or is it an online specialty item? When do I need to start that? At about when they reach a year old or so?

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

I let my SIL use our MCK last year and she loved it. She bought one, for her DH, at christmas time, but bought a knockoff one......she said it was terrible and didn't work at all.

With three cairns, it's very difficult for me to keep on top of their coats by hand. The MCK is a godsend for keeping their coats neat and tidy and "cairn looking". I have the 12 and 16 blade ones and find I use both. I use the 12 for the body and the 16 for the finer areas such as the face and legs.

Oh, and Goforette, your girls are absolutely adorable!

Thela

I use the #10 on Molly and love it. I bought a #14 and think it's too fine-it doesn't take enough off of her legs and face. I'm w/Savannahsmom, it's definitely worth the expense. I bought mine at The Groomer's Mall-I think that's Col Potter's website. Molly's mom.

Hi its been so long since my last writing but I was reading about this MKC and Im really concern because I took my dog to the vet and they cut his hair... almost everything!! :( they cut it with scissors so I dont know if this is Ok? his hair will be normal again? do I have to use the MKC all the time and not the scissors?? We are form Mexico so there are not other cairns here and the vet didnt know much about their special needs.

Figo is almost 5 months we adore him he was so much trouble at the beginning but now we are thinking of buying another one (a female this time)... any of you are selling one? thanks!! :)

Keep brushing (and using the coat king anywhere there's coat long enough for it to do anything) and eventually you'll get out the old, dead, clipped coat and it will be replaced by newer live coat.

Anyone who wants to tell you about an available dog, whether one of their own or even a rescue they know about, must contact you off-line and not on the forum. Thanks.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived