CairnTalk

A possible new puppy?

Kathryn

For a while I've mentioned that I would love a second cairn. It wasn't a possibility until a little over a year ago, when I lost my beloved calico cat to cancer. A dog and a cat were expensive enough. My DH and I talked about another cat, but he's really not a cat person. About three months ago, I started talking about getting a second cairn from a breeder we know who has really nice dogs. (She strips our dog so we see her dogs a lot.)

My suggestion was that we get in touch with her, mention we want a second dog eventually, and ask her to be on the lookout for a male puppy who seems to be cuddly and not at the top of the dogpile in terms of assertiveness. Our Allie is already a very alpha girl, and we don't want any arguments. The breeder has mentioned before she can tell when a puppy will turn into a lap sitter, and I believe she can. She knows the characteristics of her dogs well; it's the reaon I would like one of her puppies.

Anyway, DH took Allie out for stripping on Sunday, and the breeder has two male pups, born three weeks ago. Of course, their personalities aren't obvious yet, but I so hope the dog I'm looking for is one of these two! I can barely stand the anxiety, and we have weeks and weeks to wait.

I'm already thinking about taking vacation when the dog comes home, and we haven't even made sure it's the right dog yet. Such hopes! Such anxiety!

I almost feel like I'm jinxing myself by writing this, but I had to tell someone and my friends and neighbors already think I'm way too dog crazy.

Kathryn,

I'm glad you shared your excitement. I haven't a Cairn yet, but I can understand your anxiety. I met our little boy, who is coming home on Father's Day, at 3 weeks and then again at 5 weeks. The anticipation is killing me. :w00t:

I will say if hadn't been for this Forum, which I began reading before I decided to get this puppy, I don't know if I would have felt so secure and confident.

Sharing is what we're all about. Good Luck, and I hope one of those little boys is just meant to be with you!

Ang.

Congrats on your new "bundle of joy", Ang! I know it's really hard to wait...isn't it?

Kathryn, I hope one of the puppies works out for you!

More puppies around here....that's a GOOD thing!!!

Ang and Kathryn - this will be the best decision you've ever made!

I hope you guys are right, that this "will be the best decision we've made", because I've had people tell me that the terrier breed is much too much to tame. However, my husband and I have studied and read, as well as relied on this Forum to prepare as much as we can, understanding that every dog is different.

We are counting down the days! We're going to a nearby town to see our Baby Boy's dad compete, he is a beautiful show dog. :wub:

Thanks for all your support, I'll be needing more I'm sure. :shock:

Ang.

I've had people tell me that the terrier breed is much too much to tame.

Thanks for all your support, I'll be needing more I'm sure. :shock:

Ang.

Hi Ang-

You know it's funny, I was raised with German Sheps- and they never made me laugh the way Mett & Bratt do when they are in full-out play mode. Sure they can be little wild men, but I can pick them up and give them a time out!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

NEVER have I seen a breed with more personality and character than these little Cairns. When I first got Savannah, I, too, was afraid of the terrier. True, they are not the right dog for everyone, but if you are looking for a dog that will be your best friend and make you laugh EVERYDAY, you have found the right breed! Savannah is truely like a little person. She has so much personality and is definately NOT one of those boring dogs that sits around and looks at you all the time. Potty training was rough but I think that is the case with all puppies. Good luck and we look forward to seeing your pics and hearing your stories. You will have a million of them I am sure!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Archived