CairnTalk

Washinton Times Reports WPAS Auction

spa

Gosh I don't know what to say about this. Hope the winner had done their terrier breed research and knows what to expect. Hmmm.

In light of the high profile auction of a Cairn by the WPAS, I thought people might be interested to know how auctioning puppies is viewed by various national dog clubs in the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia. It is my hope that the WPAS will not auction a puppy at future fundraising events.

Anyone interested in having his or her voice heard on this important issue may write to:

Rachel Heavers

rheavers@WPAS.org

Publicist

Washington Performing Arts Society

202-533-1886

2000 L St., NW, Suite 510

Washington, DC 20036

Sincerely,

Sean

Sean Albert

809 Lakewood Avenue

Schenectady, New York 12309

SeanPAlbert@aol.com

CTCA Code of Ethics

http://www.cairnterrier.org/ethics

III. BREEDING PRACTICES

We are committed to promoting quality in our breeding of purebred Cairn Terriers and to doing all that is possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection. We specifically pledge:

. . .

To avoid from engaging in wholesaling, mass production, or distribution of Cairn Terriers and from selling breeding stock to pet dealers, catalog houses or other commercial sources of distribution. To avoid supplying Cairn Terriers for raffles, lotteries or prize-giving contests. To avoid and admonish these and any similar activities that would belittle or trivialize the breed or place profit before home-based quality care and breeding.

AKC Rules & Regulations

1 page

American Kennel Club - AKC Board Policy Manual

AKC Board Policy Manual

AKC Auction Policy (July 2003 Board meeting)

http://www.akc.org/rules/policymanual.cfm?page=7

The Board reviewed its policy on Auctions, considering the recommendations of the High Volume Breeders Committee. Following a motion by Mrs. Strand, seconded by Mr. Gladstone, it was VOTED (unanimously) to revise AKC policy on auctions to read as follows:

1. "The American Kennel Club considers auctions and raffles not to be reasonable and appropriate methods to obtain or transfer dogs." (Note: items 1 and 2 have been reversed in order, but no wording has been altered).

2. "AKC's current inspection program shall include kennels/individuals offering dogs for sale at auctions."

3. "Any dog sold at auctions that is under 8 weeks of age or without microchip identification will be ineligible for AKC registration and shall be placed on permanent referral."

4. "The American Kennel Club discourages Parent Club rescue groups from purchasing dogs at auctions. Although Parent Clubs may be doing good things for individual dogs purchased at auctions, it perpetuates the problem and tends to create a seller's market. Reciprocally, auctioneers seek more dogs of those breeds to offer at auctions. AKC applauds the work of Parent Club rescue groups on many fronts. However, AKC believes that the purchasing of dogs at auctions is not overall in the best interest of purebred dogs."

Code of Practice for CKC Members

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=81

III. General Responsibilities

. . .

No breeder shall sell or donate dogs for the purpose of their being auctioned or raffled.

> Royal NSW Canine Council's (Australia) Code of Ethics

>

> A Member shall not:

>

> (i) sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers or retail pet dealers,

> who are not accredited by the Pet Industry Association of Australia

> Limited (PIAA). (05/05)

> (ii) allow a dog owned by that member to be given as a prize or

> donation in a contest of any kind. (10/03)

> (iii) offer a dog for sale by auction through any form of media.

> (08/03)

The Kennel Club UK General Code of Ethics

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/

Owners will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind.

In light of the high profile auction of a Cairn by the WPAS, I thought people might be interested to know how auctioning puppies is viewed by various national dog clubs in the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia. It is my hope that the WPAS will not auction a puppy at future fundraising events.

Anyone interested in having his or her voice heard on this important issue may write to:

Rachel Heavers

rheavers@WPAS.org

Publicist

Washington Performing Arts Society

202-533-1886

2000 L St., NW, Suite 510

Washington, DC 20036

Sincerely,

Sean

Sean Albert

809 Lakewood Avenue

Schenectady, New York 12309

SeanPAlbert@aol.com

CTCA Code of Ethics

http://www.cairnterrier.org/ethics

III. BREEDING PRACTICES

We are committed to promoting quality in our breeding of purebred Cairn Terriers and to doing all that is possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection. We specifically pledge:

. . .

To avoid from engaging in wholesaling, mass production, or distribution of Cairn Terriers and from selling breeding stock to pet dealers, catalog houses or other commercial sources of distribution. To avoid supplying Cairn Terriers for raffles, lotteries or prize-giving contests. To avoid and admonish these and any similar activities that would belittle or trivialize the breed or place profit before home-based quality care and breeding.

AKC Rules & Regulations

1 page

American Kennel Club - AKC Board Policy Manual

AKC Board Policy Manual

AKC Auction Policy (July 2003 Board meeting)

http://www.akc.org/rules/policymanual.cfm?page=7

The Board reviewed its policy on Auctions, considering the recommendations of the High Volume Breeders Committee. Following a motion by Mrs. Strand, seconded by Mr. Gladstone, it was VOTED (unanimously) to revise AKC policy on auctions to read as follows:

1. "The American Kennel Club considers auctions and raffles not to be reasonable and appropriate methods to obtain or transfer dogs." (Note: items 1 and 2 have been reversed in order, but no wording has been altered).

2. "AKC's current inspection program shall include kennels/individuals offering dogs for sale at auctions."

3. "Any dog sold at auctions that is under 8 weeks of age or without microchip identification will be ineligible for AKC registration and shall be placed on permanent referral."

4. "The American Kennel Club discourages Parent Club rescue groups from purchasing dogs at auctions. Although Parent Clubs may be doing good things for individual dogs purchased at auctions, it perpetuates the problem and tends to create a seller's market. Reciprocally, auctioneers seek more dogs of those breeds to offer at auctions. AKC applauds the work of Parent Club rescue groups on many fronts. However, AKC believes that the purchasing of dogs at auctions is not overall in the best interest of purebred dogs."

Code of Practice for CKC Members

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=81

III. General Responsibilities

. . .

No breeder shall sell or donate dogs for the purpose of their being auctioned or raffled.

> Royal NSW Canine Council's (Australia) Code of Ethics

>

> A Member shall not:

>

> (i) sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers or retail pet dealers,

> who are not accredited by the Pet Industry Association of Australia

> Limited (PIAA). (05/05)

> (ii) allow a dog owned by that member to be given as a prize or

> donation in a contest of any kind. (10/03)

> (iii) offer a dog for sale by auction through any form of media.

> (08/03)

The Kennel Club UK General Code of Ethics

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/

Owners will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind.

I sent Ms. Heavers a very polite e-mail asking how her organization came to auction a Cairn Terrier. I invited her to make a response here. If I get an e-mail back from her, I'll post it here.

I contacted the the AKC via its website as well as CTCA Delegate to the AKC, the CTCA Corresponding Secretary and the Potomac CTC Secretary to ask that the AKC, CTCA and PCTC protest the WPAS auction of a Cairn Puppy. If I hear from any of these organizations, I will pass along the information to this forum.

The contact information for each of these dog-related organizations is attached.

Sean

Attachments:

Mrs. Molly Wilder

CTCA Delegate to the AKC

Herndon, VA

(703) 471-2834

E-mail: wilder1md@aol.com

Ms. Ann Brodie

Corresponding Secretary

Cairn Terrier Club of America

37667 Timber Drive

Elizabeth, CO 80107

(303) 646-9657

E-mail: brodiea@msn.com

Ms. Peggy Slattery

Potomac CTC SECRETARY

18121 Rolling Meadow Way

Olney, MD 20832

(301) 774-5207

E-mail: Megolia@aol.com

Thank you SO much, Sean, for giving this information. I hate this sort of exploitation. I also just sent an e-mail to Ms Heavers stating that I intended to write to the chair or director of her organization also, and that she should be aware that the AKC as well as the Cairn Terrier Club of America have approved ethics guidelines against this type of sale. Additionally, I said that this information had been posted on a forum and that her organization will probably receive a lot of protests. More to the point, I hoped that her organization NEVER does this again.

Pam

Hi Pam,

Thank you for taking the time to write to the WPAS. It is my hope that the CTCA and its regional affiliates will send letters of protest to the WPAS as well. Perhaps members of this forum could send a petition to the CTCA asking that the CTCA and its affiliates address a letter to the WPAS in this matter. The CTCA's letter ought to educate the WPAS about the problems associated with the sale of puppies at auctions AND formally ask that the WPAS end its annual auction of a puppy.

Sean

I am pleased to report that:

Molly Wilder, CTCA Delegate to the AKC, will soon contact the WPAS to express opposition to the WPAS auction of a puppy. Mrs. Wilder will also contact the CTCA and her regional club about this matter.

It is to be hoped that AKC involvement in the matter will be a reality soon.

Nancy A. Staab, Corresponding Secretary West Highland White Terrier Club of America, wrote a powerful letter to the WPAS protesting its auction of a puppy.

Karen Hansen, President of the Scottish Terrier Club of America, wrote to me to express solidarity in opposition to the auction of a puppy by the WPAS. It is anticipated that the Scottie folks will contact the WPAS through institutional and private channels.

The WPAS has not rescinded its decision to auction a puppy annually but time will tell.

This morning June 7, 2006], I received the following e-mail from the AKC Canine Legislation Department re: the WPAS auction of a Cairn terrier:

The American Kennel Club considers auctions and raffles not to be

reasonable and appropriate methods to obtain or transfer dogs. AKC®'s

current inspection program shall include kennels/individuals offering

dogs for sale at auctions. Any dog sold at auctions that is under 8

weeks of age or without microchip identification will be ineligible for

AKC registration and shall be placed on permanent referral.

The American Kennel Club discourages Parent Club rescue groups from

purchasing dogs at auctions. Although Parent Clubs may be doing good

things for individual dogs purchased at auctions, it perpetuates the

problem and tends to create a seller's market. Reciprocally,

auctioneers seek more dogs of those breeds to offer at auctions. AKC

applauds the work of Parent Club rescue groups on many fronts. However,

AKC believes that the purchasing of dogs at auctions is not overall in

the best interest of purebred dogs.

Thank you for your interest in The American Kennel Club, in particular

puppy auctions. An opposition letter will be sent upon investigation.

Sincerely,

The Canine Legislation Department

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:53 AM

To: publiced

Subject: Customer inquiry: Washington Times Article Refers to the

Auctioning of a Puppy

Name: Sean Albert

Email: SeanPAlbert@aol.com

Date: May-31-2006 8:37 AM

Subject: Washington Times Article Refers to the Auctioning of a Puppy

Comment: Will the American Kennel Club please address the recent

Washington Performing Arts Society (WPAS) auction of a Cairn terrier

puppy in some constructive way? (Please see attached Washington Times

article for details about the WPAS event.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived