CairnTalk

About to be a new mom

TNA

Well folks. I've been reading the forum for a couple of months now, and am ready to ask a few questions of my own. I have had many pets over the years, but my new husband and I are bringing home our very first Cairn Terrier (or any terrier) in June. We both work full time, but have a beautiful home and yard for our new little guy.

Just start with any and all advice. I need it all.

Thanks

Ang

My first advice would be to read as much information about the breed that you can. They are GREAT dogs, and lots of fun, but they have a distinct personality that some people love and others find exhausting.

Do you have a puppy picked out yet?

Stock up on (maybe buy stock in too) Nature's Miracle and paper towels. Oh, and you'll need a crate and perhaps some baby gates too. We'll be empty nesters soon, but our house is an obstacle course with all the baby gates. Welcome to Cairn Talk and can't wait to see pictures of your new puppy!

Welcome to this forum! I just found it this week and it has been SO HELPFUL for me, because you are getting advice from people who KNOW the breed and are experienced with it! You can't get that from any vet or book!

We have had our Cairn for only two weeks, so I can offer you some puppy tips. Here is a list of things you MUST have when you bring your baby home. This is over and above the obvious things like crate, good, premium puppy food, etc.

1. Baby gates! We confine Barney to our kitchen when he is not in his crate, so if he has an accident, it's easy to clean up off the linoleum. Also, we spend a lot of time in our kitchen, so he can be with us.

2. LOTS AND LOTS of chew toys! These pups chew EEVVEERRYYTTHHIINNGG!!!!Barney loves the beef flavored Nylabones. Buy the bigger size, because your pup will make quick work of the little ones! Be sure to take away the small pieces he eventually will bite off, so he doesn't choke on them.

3. An exercise pen. Get the sturdy, heavy plastic one, not the thin wire. The wire is too easily tipped over, I think. Then put his crate in there with toys, and food and water, so if you need to leave him alone, he has all his needs.

4. I am a walking billboard for a wonderful contraption called a WIZDOG! (www.wizdog.com) You can get one on ebay alot cheaper than the actual website, so check ebay out. The Wizdog is a plastic tray with a grate in it. You put a training pad under the grate, and doggy goes potty on it if you are not there to let him out. When we put Barney in his ex-pen with his stuff and we cannot get back in time to let him out, he uses the Wizdog faithfully. He is getting housebroken, so he is rarely using the Wizdog anymore, but at least it is there if he needs it. The great thing about the Wizdog is that the grate keeps the dog from tearing up the training pad! Barney would have shredded his in a heartbeat! It works great for us! And I believe you said you worked full time. The Wizdog is wonderful for that. It doesn't make your poor little baby hold it all day! He can go on the Wizdog and be comfortable until his Mom and Dad get home!

The first week, the Wizdog was great for us because we didn't have to let Barney out until we normally got up. We leave his crate door open in his ex-pen and if he has to go before we get to him, he can relieve himself and go back to bed. A GREAT INVENTION!

5. Ditto! Nature's Miracle and lots of paper towels! :sick:

6. Band aids and Neosporin! Barney is such a nippy dog, despite our CONSTANT repremands with him. The kind folks on this forum tell me this will stop! I pray they are right!!!

7. Lastly, stockpile lots of love and patience! I am finding out that Cairns can be a challenge with their over-the-top personalities, but they can be OH SO SWEET, which makes up for the naughty times! After Barney chews on my shoelaces for the twenty millionth time, he then sits by my feet when he gets sleepy and wants to be picked up and cuddled. He nuzzles into my neck and it's off to dreamland! Such a wonderful feeling..... :halo:

Read all you can, especially about being your dog's ALPHA (sooo important for training). But be prepared to roll with the changes. I think I was THE most prepared person before I got Barney. I read three books on Cairns and training, went to pet shops to see and interact with actual Cairns, and I even had a schedule for the first four days of his life with us typed up in a binder! I ended up tearing it up and just going with the flow! I was totally unprepared for his ways, but have learned to read his mood and shrug off his growls as playful and not aggressive. He is a handful, but a wonderful handful!!

Baby Cairns are like human toddlers. They need lots of attention, lots of distraction, lots of naps, and lots of love. If you've got those things, then you are in for a wonderful time!

Good luck!! Hope this helped! :)

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Thanks for welcoming me aboard. As I said, I have been reading the forum for a few months trying to determine if I could handle this, and after meeting with our breeder and meeting his adult dogs, I think I can.

We were very fortunate to find a breeder here in Arizona, and have picked out a beautiful young boy to bring home. His Sire is a Champion as well as his Aunt. I'm told good stock is where to start.

You know a lot of people think a puppy is....well just a puppy. However, I have learned, through all of your insightfulness, that this is more than "just another puppy".

We have already gotten his crate, some toys, a leash and harness. We have already planned where the baby gates will go. We have a large kitchen and laundry room with tile floors, which is where we spend most of our time, so I'm certain that will work out good for him. Additionally, we have a giant grass yard with boulders, pine trees, and a stream and pond. Many adventures for him as he gets older. In the beginning he will be under tight watch and probably a long lead.

I will keep all of you updated as the date gets closer. We are schedule to bring him home on June 18th. He'll be a bit over 9 weeks old. I can't think of a name for him yet. I think I want to get to know him better, but for now....I think it will be Sir Cobblestone Barleywine, and will call him Barley.

Any continued adivce would be greatly appreciated!

I'M SO EXCITED! :

Welcome to the Forum. Great bunch of folks here with LOTS of good advice. Anything not already answered for you, all you have to do is ask and we'll do out best to try to answer any questions or help in any way. I know how exicted you must be about your little guy. I like the name. Please post pics when you get him home and have a few minutes. (what am I saying? Extra minutes with a new puppy? I lost my head there for a moment) Post pics "when you can" please. We love pics of Cairns. Good luck and remember...we're here for you when you need a question answered or just want to talk.

Archived