CairnTalk

Stripping w Mars Coat King

mollysmom1

I love my new "toy" that has turned Molly into a beautiful cairn. However, I'm having difficulty with her face. I bought a # 10 and 14. I'm finding the # 14-designated a fine tool, seems to be too fine to strip the hair that I need to strip. I'm trying to even out her face, as she looked like a furball when we brought her home, and her face has more definition now, but she still doesn't have the face of most cairns that I've seen. I'm thinking I haven't taken enough off? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Molly's mom[

Hi Nancy:

I believe that Kayharley mentioned she has a mini MCK that she uses on her Crews faces/heads.

I've tried to MCK the heads, but i've found that hand stripping is a lot faster and easier.... I just wait unil they are sleepy, less fight that way! :devil:

I did MCK the tails over the weekend, esp. the backside to deal with the 'feathering' and it did a pretty good job... I have the 12 blade.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Nancy, can you post a picture of Molly? It might help to know how much you want to take off, and I know some people like the "shaggy" look, and some like the "trimmed" Cairn.

I used the MCK on Scout about 2 years ago and I took too much off of her, especially her face, and it took about a year to grow back (the hair on her face). I still use the MCK, but I take off a little bit at a time since it's much easier to take off than grow back!

I did MCK the tails over the weekend, esp. the backside to deal with the 'feathering' and it did a pretty good job... I have the 12 blade.

[

PLEASE... tell me how you are able to use that tool in that particular area without a major rebuttal (excuse the pun). I cannot even put a wide tooth comb near Maddy or Elliott's tail/backside without them acting like I'm killing them.

I've had to resort to thinning shears to keep the peace.

[

PLEASE... tell me how you are able to use that tool in that particular area without a major rebuttal (excuse the pun). I cannot even put a wide tooth comb near Maddy or Elliott's tail/backside without them acting like I'm killing them.

I've had to resort to thinning shears to keep the peace.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL :devil: I caught one as He was trying to get away, by the tail- and I used the MCK from the laying down postion, so It was facing up, and I held the tail with my hand..... Mett acted like it was nothing and just laid down..... but when I do his butt, he's not liking it.... I just wait until they are tired, and have less fight in them! :devil:

:lol:

I've tried the "tail up" position, the "tail down" position, sideway tail to the right, to the left...It's a no-go in whatever position I try to groom it.

I have no other options other than to put those feathery tails to work as dusters! I will ever so gently hold my Cairns upside down, say something exciting like "Go for a ride" or "Want a treat" and when their shaggy, unkept tail starts wagging, I will sweep it over all my dusty furniture. I wonder if they make a dog friendly furniture polish. :whistle:

I do the tail and rear end when we're out on the dock. Packy loves to be out on the dock, so he's got lots to divert his attention away from what's going on back there. I can only do it for so long though. And I don't think his tail is ever going to look like a carrot, like the grooming guideline I have says...

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Kayharley, I wonder if a MCK with more teeth would do it? I was wonder myself if one with more teeth would do the legs.... the hair is so fine it doesn't really get caught in my 12 blade....hhhmmm I wonder....

Archived