CairnTalk

Giant Cairn Puppy

Will&Grace

:shock: I have a 15 Week Old male Cairn, "Will" and he already weighs 10+ lbs. My last Cairn was only about 6 lbs at this age. Does anyone know if this means he is going to be pretty big as an adult? I am just shocked at his size....

Is Will a pure bred Cairn? Have you taken him to the vet for a healthy puppy visit? If not, I would take him to the vet and see what they say. He sounds rather large to me.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Gus is a few days shy of 12 weeks and he weighed 9.8 lbs last week at the vet. He is built very different from Crunch. Gus is stocky looking. When I compare him to Crunch, he has wider shoulders, bigger paws, larger head, and is just a larger framed dog.

Gus is a few days shy of 12 weeks and he weighed 9.8 lbs last week at the vet. He is built very different from Crunch. Gus is stocky looking. When I compare him to Crunch, he has wider shoulders, bigger paws, larger head, and is just a larger framed dog. I believe his parents were both smaller than 14lbs...

Here is the weight chart for my Males Mett & Bratt.

Also, they have very differnt body types. Bratt is longer, taller and leaner... where as Mett is shorter in body and height, but is very stocky and shaped more like a barrel... I can say that I did weight thema t the local pet store and they were both around 20 pounds each not that long ago.... but I don't know when that scale was calibrated.

Weight

Mett

8wks 4.30

9wks 5.50

13wks 7.10

17wks 10.70

26wks 16.30

32wks 17.70

Weight

Bratt

8wks 4.40

9wks 5.00

13wks 8.10

17wks 12.20

26wks 16.40

32wks 18.80

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Thanks so much to everyone for the comments. Will is a purebred Cairn, his mother weighs 12.5 lbs, his father is 18 lbs. He has been to the vet for all his appointments. He is not even a big eater - just a big boy I guess. He is very thick and stalky - just a little muscle man I guess. I am new to using this forum (any forum for that matter) so hopefully I will catch on to posting properly and replying correctly. I do appreciate the repsonse and it is very fun to chat Cairns with other Cairn Lovers. I am attaching a picture of Will (hopefully) this time. I just love reading info posted - so thanks again! Linda

What a cutie!!!!

Has he been stripped? His coat looks like it may have been.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Oh he is cute!

Btw- I did notice with my puppies which are litter mates that they each would go thorugh a growth spurts at different times than the other. So based on the weight chart I posted, your little guy isn't that far off from what my guys did weight wise.... I think what the parents are weight wise is the best indicator of what he'll be as an adult.

:devil: Mett & Bratt say Hi

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

He's so cute! For me, the dark muzzle and the upright ears are my favorite parts of a cairn. They're so prominent in Will's photo! :wub:

Alfie is almost 3 years old and he's a little over 20 lbs, quite big for a cairn. We don't even overfeed him or give him lots of treats, he gets exercise everyday. We really don't mind, but we're not sure where the weight is coming from either.

Sophie is over 3 years old and her weight varies from 11-12 lbs. At 12lbs she just barely passes the "rib test", she is short and square in build.

You have a really cute puppy!!

Sophie

Image032.jpg

We have a giantess cairn puppy here and she is AKC registered. At seven months I would estimate Cassie's weight at 20 pounds. I wanted the more portable little dog I remembered from our previous cairn but since she is who she is I love her. I guess it will be harder for her to escape the yard since she doesn't fit through the small gaps, so that is one advantage. She can also drink out of our water fountain which has a high pedestal. During a phone call to a local breeder of cairns I commented on Cassie's size and she told me that she considered this desirable because larger *itches have larger litters. I found this alarming as it put profits ahead of breed standards. Any size cairn is a wonderful dog and I don't think the majority of breeders do business that way. It's a good thing she doesn't really know her size because if she had my previous cairns attitude and her body as it is now I would be calling in reinforcements.

20 lbs @ 7 Months, that cracks me up! I am thinking that is exactly where I am headed. You are right, we love them not matter size, shape, color etc. :) I just honestly didn't know they could be so big. I have had 2 previous and the size toped out at about 16-17 lbs. I would love to see a picture of your GC (Giant Cairn). Thanks for the repy.

Angus just had a vet visit last week and he was 9.7lbs at 14.5 weeks of age. I do not want him to get fat, he's "round" now, but I think it's puppyhood roundness. I have him eating 2 meals a day now instead of 3, but he gets a treat toy at noon w/a small amount of kibble in it. He's starving by 5 pm. I wonder if he's getting enough to eat....he definitely would EAT MORE!

Karen and Angus

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

I weighed Ellie at our shop scale this week, she was 24 pounds! She's lost a pound. She's 15 months old. I'm hoping to get a few more pounds off of her. When she falls asleep at night and crowds me, it's so hard to move her when she's a dead heap...

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Will the GC is still growing... My breeder thinks it might be how much I am loving him :) If that's the case he may end up looking like a St Bernard! Anyhow, thanks again to everyone for the replies & complements on Will. I am attaching a photo I snapped last eve.

I am also curious about feeding - quantity daily. He is only on dry kibble, I mix 1/2 iams puppy and 1/2 canidae. The reason for the mix is because on the straight canidae his stools never firmed up at all - way too loose and messy. He is eating about a cup a day now (plus treats). On average he gets about 6 treats a day. Some days more some less. We go for 2 long walks a day about 1.5 mi each. Anyhow just curious. We go in for our 16 week shots on Tuesday.

One last thing, Will is super strong too! So it must be a good bit of muscle :)

Gus gets a cup a day of kibble and wet mixed split between two meals. He gets several treats. He would eat a gallon if I put it down for him. He runs over to try and scarf up leftovers from Crunch's bowl since Crunch doesn't eat all his food. :D

Ok I think I've got it now (my first real post with a photo). Cassie is 7 months old. I haven't weighed her at the vets yet but I will soon. The fountain she drinks out of is 18 inches high where her front paws are resting and a little over three feet tall total.

cassiedrink3_911.jpg

Archived