CairnTalk

Saw this dog at a Shelter - Question about Carins

Duckman

This is my first post and I would like to say Hi to everyone here.

I saw this dog at a local shelter which is described as a female Carin terrier mix (she looks scared):

carin.jpg

Dog ID#A097892

I have read through a lot of the information here about Carins and would like to know how Carins get along with other small dogs of similar size (like Malteses and Yorkies)?

Thanks,

Bob

Pets by the Pond

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I would have to say it depends on the dog's personality as to how they will get along with other animals. There are lots of multiple pet owner's here and I am sure they'll be along shortly with their experiences.

I must say that I certainly couldn't resist that little face. She sure looks sweet!!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Hi there Bob! She sure looks sweetie! I would say if you can let your dogs meet her at the shelter if they will allow that. Most responsible shelters will. I hope you're able to save that sweet girl... all dogs deserve a chance.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Perhaps you could notify one of the Cairn terrier rescue networks of her situation, such as Col Potter's, if you do not adopt her.

Please....that little face tears me up and it is exactly why I always tell people who are not dedicated responsible breeders to PLEASE not breed.

Thanks for the replys so far. The shelter is closed for the day now and I will check on this animal tomorrow. They hold them for at least 7 days...

My experience with my moms two cairns (one was a rescue) and my previous cairn was that they were very gregarious and fell into their own little pack almost instantly. Other small breeds it varied. My dog did not like my neighbors miniture poodle at all. Likewise it varied with larger breeds. He loved my friend's yellow lab more than anyone or anything. The cairn I have now loves everyone but it isn't always mutual because she's a little hyper and in their face, but at seven months of age that is to be expected. The cutie you have shown needs a home for certain.

She does look adorable. Probably not cairn enough for the cairn rescue groups. although I can only speak for my own, the Cairn Rescue League. Most of the rescue groups will rescue what they consider to be a "mostly cairn mix" when they can. Some define that as 80/85% cairn. My definition is so much like a cairn that it's hard to tell whether it's purebred or not, or a dog that looks enough like a cairn that someone looking for a cairn will be interested in adopting it. Hard to tell for sure from the picture of this little one, but she may not meet the definition, especially with the ears looking floppy. I do stretch the definition of a mostly cairn mix when I can, but the problem is that they tend not to get adopted and can be in their foster home for a VERY long time because people are looking for a dog that looks more like a cairn. They would get adopted more quickly from an all-breed rescue than a cairn rescue group.

The other thing I would caution is that based on the impound number, it sounds as if she could be in a larger, urban shelter. Regardless, since she's coming from a shelter, if you have other dogs at home, board her in isolation for at least 10 days in case she's been exposed to anything contagious in the shelter, or perhaps you have family or friends with no dogs who could keep her for you. Try to find out if the shelter has had any cases of parvo within the last 6 months. If so, she shouldn't be exposed to any other dogs for 4 weeks.

In any case, cairn mix or not, she's awfully cute and she looks very sweet (yes, she does look scared). The shelter may be able to give you an idea of her temperament, especially if she was an owner turn-in rather than a stray. They may be able to give you an idea as to how she is with other dogs.

Let us know what happens!

Thanks everyone for all the information. It is a large city shelter where this dog is located and they do euthanize some animals. I do have a plan in place when adopting for an isolation period for the new animal as well as a visit to my vet to followup on any possible health issues (health issues would not stop me from adopting an animal). I came close to adopting a stray Yorkie from the shelter recently that we knew had health issues (presumably non-contagious) and unfortunately the little Yorkie passed away on an early Monday morning just before the shelter hold time was up. She had been improving with the vet staff looking after her and we were surprised when she passed away. There was good communication between myself and the shelter and they seem to be caring and competent with the way the facility is run...

Perhaps you could notify one of the Cairn terrier rescue networks of her situation, such as Col Potter's, if you do not adopt her.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh...may not wish to recommend Col. Potter...we've been in the "approved families" category for some time, and I still don't know when/where/how I will hear from my "matchmaker", who by the bye, treats me as if I am a creep, IMHO. (Oh, every "available Cairn"(according to their website) in which we've placed an interest, is basically already in the process of being adopted by someone.)

:huh:

Still waiting to adopt our little girl,

Tara, Olie and Teddy

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

She does look scared, the pound is hard on little dogs. The constant barking scares them, and the power hoses blast them.

Sophie looked NOTHING like a Cairn when I got her. Now only her short tail and white blaze indicate a mix of something else.

Frankly you won't know what she is really like for a couple weeks, she'll sleep alot, and be timid.

If you decide to take her, make your first stop the vet. I brought Sophie home on friday....she was at the vet Monday, and the groomer Tuesday. Keep her away from your dogs for awhile and be prepared for some behavior issues, she doesn't know your rules

Tena

Sophie

Image032.jpg

I would agree w/Tena that you will not know this dog's personality for at least 2-4 weeks. I have done Wheaten Rescue into a rescue siutation or from a shelter will be in "honeymoon" mode. She will have to sit and observe the surroundings before she will start to exhibit her true personality. Not to mention she is probably in shock! SHe is a real cutie. Hope she finds a forever home soon.

Karen

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

Bless her heart. I have nothing to add other than to say I have a lot of faith and trust in the opinions of the others on this thread (and in this forum) who have adopted previously. I believe you find great counsel here. Good luck to you and I too hope this little angel can come home with you soon.

Uh...may not wish to recommend Col. Potter...we've been in the "approved families" category for some time, and I still don't know when/where/how I will hear from my "matchmaker", who by the bye, treats me as if I am a creep, IMHO. (Oh, every "available Cairn"(according to their website) in which we've placed an interest, is basically already in the process of being adopted by someone.)

Tara, I'm sorry you've had a difficult time with Col. Potter. Having worked with them for several years, I can tell you that your experience is not the norm, and they have placed thousands of dogs with loving families. If it doesn't work with this particular group, please check with some of the other Cairn rescue groups. It sounds like you have a lot to offer and I'm sure there's a pup out there waiting to make yours its forever home. :thumbsup:

I can also say that Col. Potter's policy for taking in and placing Cairn mixes is that they should be "high Cairn mixes" of 80% or higher. The floppy ears would not make much difference as long as the body size and shape are close, and the coat and face are correct, which they appear to be in this case.

Duckman, good luck with this poor scared little girl. Bless you for wanting to adopt her. I hope it works out well for all of you!

Thela

Tears filled my eyes when I saw that little girl - I hope with all my heart that it will work out that you can bring her home. I really don't have anything to add since I only have one dog but I wanted to just add my welcome.

oh that poor baby looks so sad, i hope she gets a home soon. I bet her ears will perk up a bit then she'll be so happy!

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

:( The outlook for this little dog is not good. I received this update on her:

-------

This animal was confiscated as part of a cruelty case for animal abandoment. Unfortunately, our veterinarian staff has diagnosed parvo which is a highly contagious and deadly disease. This animal will not be going up for adoption because of the parvo exposure.

Jason Oliveres

Clerical Support Aide III

2580 West 1st Street

Jacksonville, FL 32254

387-8924

www.jaxpets.org <http://www.jaxpets.org>

-------

I know that parvo is highly contageous and not curable. It's sad and the part about the animal cruelty really makes me mad...

That is so sad. :( Poor girl. I am sorry that the adoption did not work out for you and I am sorry for her as well.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Yes, it is sad.

Does anyone here have any practical experience with a dog who has parvo? I have a basic knowledge of what it is, but have never had an animal that had it...

Duckman, I am so sorry for you and for the little one. The cruelty case is just horrific. Her frightened face seems to tell part of the awful tale. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking that anyone could hurt or neglect any animal. In regard to the Parvo, I believe it is a virus. The animal who has contracted it can become violently ill with vomitting and diarea and then dehydration is inevitable. The dog obviously becomes very weak. I do not know of the cure (only of a vaccination to prevent the virus from infecting). I believe once the animal gets the virus...the animal must push through the illness. I knew of a woman who had a dog/puppy diagnosed with Parvo and the puppy did survive but it was touch and go for a while. Parvo is very bad.

Duckman, sorry the news wasn't positive. Here is an article on parvo. I assume the shelter will put her down unless someone is willing to take her and pay for treatments. Sounds like it can be treated but some dogs will die from the illness.

I hope they prosecute the former "owners". Keep us posted.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/parvoviral-enteritis/page1.aspx

This is so heartbreaking. My greatest hope is that the shelter will see her through the disease and she will be adopted.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Unfortunately one fact side of rescue is the ability to offer a painless and merciful death. Parvo is bad, horribly expensive to treat and a high mortality rate. Least the little dear will not be scared anymore.

I'm sorry it turned out this way for you and for her.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Archived