CairnTalk

where do your dogs sleep?

grillywarren

Ok. A small problem in our family. My dh has decided that

he is allergic to our dogs :confused: ( I am actually the one who has terrible allergies....my allergist found only two things on the test I WAS NOT allergic to....cockroaches and feathers)

He thinks they should sleep out of our bedroom :( I am very worried about how Grilly would

react. He has slept in our room for five years! We first thought they could sleep

in one of our 3 empty bedrooms, but they aren't familiar with those rooms. Do you think

they would be okay sleeping downstairs. Grilly would be free to sleep on the couch, his ottoman,

his bed (which I would move down) and Maddy would sleep in her crate.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts. I know that this is a small issue, but I

worry so much about Grilly...he is very sensitive. I think...KNOW...Madison will be fine...

she just drops at night.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ellie

Savannah sleeps in our bedroom. I tried moving her to another room on the weekends becuase she would wake up as soon as the sun came up and start playing in her crate making tons of noise. I moved her to the livingroom so that she could play in her crate and we could sleep past 7:00 am. She cried and howled for about 20 minutes that night before I finally moved her back to the bedroom. She was not a puppy. Since I moved her back into the bedroom we have had no problems.

Savannah is sensitive to change too but she is also very clingy and wants to be where we are 99% of the time. You may have issues but then again you may not. Best of luck!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Scully has her cuddle ball bed in the living room which is where will go and nap. We've only had her in the bedroom as a puppy and in the summer we bring her up to the bedroom because it's cooler at night because of the window air conditioner. We live in the city so we tend to close the windows downstairs in the living room and dining room.

We put her out to go potty one last time before we go to bed and we tell her "night night" and she goes right into her cuddle bed. She sleeps like a log!

What if you left Grilly in your bedroom and moved into one of the other bedrooms yourselves?

Wes usually sleeps in my son's room but my son had to go on a trip. At first one of us would sleep in there with him. But after a while we realized he was okay without us.

ellie and dori sleep in the bed with me..... They'd do ok in the crates though, although into the night I"m sure Ellie would start her huffing to get out. I dont know why she started that all of a sudden....but then, We're talking about Ellie.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Ok.  A small problem in our family.  My dh has decided that

he is allergic to our dogs :confused:

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ellie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, this just now comes up after five years? Hmmm, that's a toughy. I can't image kicking Olie and Teddy off the bed; it's their bed, they just let us use it. :)

I don't know if this helps, but maybe you and DH have more than this issue to discuss?

It can't hurt to ask him.

We'll be here; good luck.

Tara, Olie and Teddy's Mom

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

What if they slept just outside your bedroom door. My daughter {has her own home} has 1 dog and two cats, none of them go in her bedroom, also because of allergies, her dog just sleeps by her bedroom door and he's happy! I'm not sure if this practice started early on but maybe you can try it and see how it works. Good luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, this just now comes up after five years? Hmmm, that's a toughy. I can't image kicking Olie and Teddy off the bed; it's their bed, they just let us use it. :)

I don't know if this helps, but maybe you and DH have more than this issue to discuss?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...I quess I should have said that it has mainly come about as

we got the second pup. I was unclear. I apologize. As far as your comment about

"more issues to discuss" could you clarify? Are you implying that my dh is misleading

me ? My confusion arises because I can't fathom being in a marriage that doesn't have

open dialogue. Please help me understand your intention.

thanks again

ellie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

My pup seems to prefer the new place we setup for him right outside our bedroom. We set him up on his own rocking chair next to a breezy window and a fluffy blanket. He still has full view of us but he is actually in another room (kinda like a sitting room). Good luck. I know it's hard.

My husband has bad allergies, so our dog has never slept with us on the bed. He used to sleep downstairs in his crate (our bedroom is upstairs) b/c it took a while for my husband to get used to the dog. We finally moved him into our bedroom about a month ago (he was sick and it was too much trouble to run up and down the stairs). I would say that if you need to, definitely move the dogs downstairs. They won't die- they might cry for a few nights (ours did), but if you can just steel yourself against it for a few nights, they should quieten down. If they already sleep in crates, that helps a lot. As much as we love our dog, my husband's allergies are more important than if our dog can sleep on our bed (I wouldn't anyway, b/c our dog has issues with authority, and the bed thing is something that can create conflict). Just do what you have to do- your dogs will understand ^^

Sophie sleeps in bed with me, or with my son if , I am working late until I get home. I don't have allergies, both the dog and a cat or two is parked on my bed at any given time. I clear it out when I get in, and they pile on as the night goes on.

Sophie has been "banished" to her bed on occasion. And is reluctant but goes quietly. I can close her out of my room and she will eventually lay down in front of the door.

I imagine the dogs will fuss a bit, but they may sleep sounder if they don't hear your night noises. But I am sure you will have a restless night or two.

My physical signs of stress overload....sore knees and a broken out chin.:)

Sophie

Image032.jpg

I have terrible allergies myself but seem not to have too much trouble with Widget being in our room. He gets to come up and cuddle on our bed while we unwind before lights out but then he goes into his crate to sleep. He likes his crate, it is his domain.

MiscwidgetFeb06006-vi.jpg

I think if you put familiar things/smells in one of the guest rooms like toys and maybe a coule of shirts that smell like you, he may be leined into not being int he room with you. It may take a few sleepless night to get him comfy with the new situation but I think it can be done.

Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

Scout and Finch sleep with us but there isn't enough room for all of us! Finch is just dead weight when she sleeps, but Scout is a light sleeper and she gets upset if she is moved by our legs, so she usually finds another bed to sleep on. We have a dog bed for both of them...guess who sleeps on this??? The cat!

My kids will be home from college soon, so Scout and Finch usually sleep in their beds...they just rotate around!

Topic is getting complicated.. :whistle:

I honestly think Cairns adapt to changes as long as they are loved by the people they know and trust.

So they sleep in another room or outside your room or hubby sleeps in another room and Cairns sleep with you or you give me Grilly and Madison and I send you pictures. :lol:

It will work out...

We have tried letitng Kramer sleep with our son or with us in bed or in his bed in the rooms upstaires. He wont. When we happen to be upstaires and I say ok bedtime he runs to his crate opens the door full blast with his nose and goes in there. He loves his crate for night time sleeping. Like Widget it is his domain

and boy you dont dare move his crate. Our son will go to open the crate door and Kramer just stands there and barks at him as to say its mine dont touch it.

Lot of people can't underatnad why I crate him at night but its his choice, he loves sleeping there and plus he has slept there ever since day one here at home.

Some think its cruel but for Kramer thats his Apartment!

stress overload: When our son's allergies are in full bloom!

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Packy sleeps with us, but we have a king bed so there's plenty of room. He's a real cuddler at night (not at all during the day) -- wants to curl up in my arms when we first go to bed, but then he moves down later on and sometimes goes into his own basket on the floor. In the morning, he's back up to cuddle more and laze around. He is definitely not a morning dog!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Our pup has two crates (one in another room, one in the bedroom) and rotates between the two crates and the bed in terms of where he sleeps at night - we let him choose, and depending on how he feels he will choose one of three places to sleep. We do notice that when he sleeps in his original crate (his bachelor pad!) he will sleep sounder and in the morning will wait patiently for us to let him out, versus when he sleeps on the bed and tries to get up 2 hours earlier than if he slept in the crate. :confused:

We just re-modeled part of our house, which happened to be the area where the dogs had their ex-pen kingdoms. At the same time, we saw this furniture style crate that we liked and decided to try to see if the dogs could sleep in one big crate. Due to the re-model, we put the crate in our bedroon and they really loved sleeping close to us. They seemed a little bummed, when we finally got the furniture style thing and moved them back into the other room. However, they both adapted pretty quickly.

Rebel use to sleep in the bathroom, but for the last couple of months he has been free in the house at night and sleeps on the lounge, best little watch dog :wub:.

I was worried at first that he would bark at every little thing but I'm very impressed, there have only been a couple of nights that he has barked and it didn't go on for long.

I'm sure you will have a couple of restless nights but they're just like children once they realise it's no use complaining they will be fine with what ever you decide is best.

Good luck.

Kay....can I come with Mad and Grill? hee hee

Last night they slept in one of the extra bedrooms.

Not a peep. This am they were both very happy to see

me, but after the inital joy....Grill turned a cold shoulder.

Hubby slept well. I tossed and turned. I am thinking about

getting a baby monitor to make sure they are ok.

Maybe it is mommy with the trouble! To add to this.......

we will be moving AGAIN within a month :w00t:

on the positive side.....

we are going to finally have a fence

we will be closer to family (reason for the move MIL is pretty sick)

lots of fresh air

negatives....

Another MOVE (this will be Grilly's 5th or 6th move)

temporary housing until we find the house for us

Sorry if I am confusing everyone!

I am a worrier and I want what is best for the entire family!

a confused cairn mommy

ellie

Hi Ellie:

You know, send your hubby to the Allergist! I like you have awful allergies- and I am allergic to everything... but my biggest is Dust and Dust Mites! I am suppost to be allergic to Dogs- but have had no change in my allergies since getting the boys... but if I get dust on me- I'm a suffering!

I've found that if you make changes over a few days it helps a lot.

And if you'll sleep better, get the baby monitor!

Good Luck

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Congrats on getting thru them night. :D

They know you love them and won't take personally. And I agree with Mysticsol8 on the baby monitor: if it helps you get a good night sleep then it is worth doing.

Moving is aweful...I've done it a ton. My cats have moved with me all over the place. Sophie has not had to move, yet. I imagine she will be like the cats, once the carriers open up, they look around, see us and go on.

I understand your concerns, you want whats best, and I'm glad everybody slept ok...except of course you :)

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Archived