CairnTalk

Moles!

Tracy A.

Hubby just called me from home, and despiste being on a leash- Mettwurst caught his first Mole. He dug down into a Mole tunnel and grabbed one.

Hubby reported that Mett did not want to give up his Mole, and he had to pry it from mouth. Mole was still alive when released in the neighboors yard :ninja:

And I was worried about a Earthdog event I have them entered in this month!

Sorry no pics, Hubby is clueless on how to operate the digital camera.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Hubby just called me from home, and despiste being on a leash- Mettwurst caught his first Mole.  He dug down into a Mole tunnel and grabbed one.

Hubby reported that Mett did not want to give up his Mole, and he had to pry it from mouth.  Mole was still alive when released in the neighboors yard :ninja:

And I was worried about a Earthdog event I have them entered in this month!

Sorry no pics, Hubby is clueless on how to operate the digital camera.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go Mett! One thing I have wondered about is if the moles vocalize (squeak, etc.)... Is that what makes the pups so intrigued or is it just the scent and sounds of rooting around moles must make when building the tunnels? I dunno...

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

" Go Mett! One thing I have wondered about is if the moles vocalize (squeak, etc.)... Is that what makes the pups so intrigued or is it just the scent and sounds of rooting around moles must make when building the tunnels? I dunno...

"

I think that the Moles make a noise of some kind. One of my Mom's German Sheps was looking & cocking her head at a stepping stone in my yard last year, and started scratching it... she never put her nose to the ground and started sniffing--- and in a few seconds had a Mole Snack. So I belive that she heard them.... where as the Gremlins on the other hand do a lot of sniffing when around a Mole tunnel...

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Congrats!

I am interested in enrolling Savannah in an Earthdog event. How can I find somewhere that does them close to where I am?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

I think we are sitting on a gold mine if we can train cairns to get moles. Beagles are used to detect termites right? Sadly Cassie is too busy chewing up my irrigation lines to kill any moles. The cat has killed two though. I have loaned out my mole traps so it is a good thing the cat is busy. They make a screaming noise when you grab them. I did just that with heavy gloves one spring a few years back and it bit down hard on the leather, so watch out if you are handling a live one.

Thanks Brad! Unfortunatley, there are none near me anytime soon. :(

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

I only participated in one Earth Dog competition years ago. My pooch (Zoe) was one of the last up and all she cared about was the smell of wee from the 30 or so male dogs that cocked their legs at the tunnel entrance. :huh:

I was shocked to find out the people actually trained for Earth dog - I thought it was a pure instinct test. Guess even instinct has to be channeled appropriately sometimes.

As for Zoe - she used to disgust me by dropping dead mice on my sofa. :sick: I figured that was enough of an Earth doggy test to satisfy me her instinct was intact.

Stacey

Archived