CairnTalk

My 2 little life savers

kayharley

This morning I was pre-cooking some veggies for grilled pizza I'm making tonite. Our microwave has a sensor setting that will defrost/heat soup or cook "fresh" things to a certain degree and then shut off. I had already done the onions and peppers and was heating some chopped portabella mushrooms in a plastic dish. I went downstairs to pick up my son's room and must have gotten distracted in the process.

All of a sudden I hear Madison and Elliott barking like crazy (Winnie's at the vet for her surgery) but it was a strange bark...nothing like when a leave blows by the window. It sounded like they were almost screaming.

I started up the stairs when I smelled smoke and saw the dogs jumping up at the microwave which was engulfed in flames! Thank God I was there. I guess the sensor didn't shut off setting the plastic and food on fire.

Tonite my little fire alarms are getting fresh pizza but unfortunately without mushrooms.

First of all...thank God you're all fine - what a scare!!!! Secondly...YAY to your furry alarm system. What troopers!!! I'd say they get extra treats for a whole week.

Again, I'm glad you're all safe.

Oh, Sandy!! Bet you were never so glad to hear that barking!!

I agree....your babies DO deserve a special treat tonite!! And, please update us on Winnie as soon as you hear.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I'm so glad everyone is okay. Your pups knew something wasn't right and sent up the alarm. Nothing like a barking (I know what you mean about the high pitched bark) Cairn to sound the alarm. Yes, reward them generously!!!

Yikes! Glad to hear everyone there is ok! Kudos to Madison and Elliott!

I am sure you didn't need that additional excitement today with Winnie at the vet!

There's a big gin and tonic in your future this evening!

Let us know about Winnie today. I am saying my prayers for her.

Wow! so glad that they were there. I too know that bark. It is scary to hear it, especially if you are home alone... Anyway LOTS of love and kisses to the fire dogs! please let us hear about Winnie when you know something. Did the fire do any damage to the house or was the microwave the only victim?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

That must have been so scary!!! I'm glad to hear everyone is ok...how is everyone now....has you heart stopped beating so fast? Give those dogs a big piece of pizza tonight!.....and I'd love to know how you make this pizza...it sounds yummy!

Sandy-

I am glad to hear everyone is safe- I hope you didn't have too much smoke damage. How scary for you, I had a microwave with the 'sensor' thingy too, it never burst into flames but it did start smoking and making crackling sounds....

I wonder if it's a defective part- mine was a panasonic.

Extra Strength Fabreeze will get the smoke smell out of your carpet, couches, furniture.... I found that out this winter during a wind storm, and both our fireplaces kicked back smoke into the house.

Hope Winnie is doing okay, and the rest of your day is peacful,

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

wow, that was scary for sure. I think you need to find tiny little firemen hats for them! GOod job.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

It's not enough that they are the best darn dogs in the world - priceless - is the thought - what good babies you have. Glad to hear you are safe. Big hugs to them.

Did the fire do any damage to the house or was the microwave the only victim?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, only the microwave had some damage to it...a little charring and still smells horrible.

I'm so glad nobody was hurt and you didn't have much damage. I just heard that same bark last week from Packy. When I went to see what was going on, I noticed that he was barking out the window at the neighbor's leaf bonfire that had gotten out of control. Luckily they got the hoses out pretty fast and it never reached the house.

About 10 yrs. ago, our first Cairn, Willie, alerted a friend who was dog-sitting for us that an electrical outlet was sparking inside a wall in his house! He had old wiring and it was shot. We like to tease him that Willie saved his house!

Alert little guys, aren't they?

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Omigosh....how terrific that the dogs were able to alert you! It is amazing how quickly they can respond when something goes wrong. I'd been feeding those two pizza for a week!

Truly amazing, these dogs are so smart. BTW, my old microwave had a sensor that cooked microwave popcorn and it failed to shut off one time and the popcorn started on fire. I never really trusted that feature again. Consumer Reports recommends the microwave models with the sensor (our new one has it too) maybe we should all write them.

Archived