CairnTalk

An Introduction.

holly hox

Hello, my name is Kayda and I recently joined this forum after lurking for quite a while. After reading the board rules, I didn't see any rule against posting an introduction, so I thought I'd give it a go.

My name is Kayda and I'm an almost-20 soon-to-be junior (once I take and pass my finals) at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, MI. I'm from Metro Detroit, so if any members are familiar with Michigan, you'll understand that it's quite a shock living on the west side. I'm a total animal lover - if it has four legs and fur or anything other animal-like qualities I love it. I have been riding horses for 13 years and have my own horse, Protege, who I've had for six years. I also have a Golden Retriever, Shanny, a calico cat, Callie (pretty original name on my part), a guinea pig, Arthur, and a hamster, Bilbo. I've worked at PetSmart as an equine sales associate and cashier for almost three years now, and plan on continue working there as long as possible, or until I have to go get a "real" job.

So now that you know a bit about me, on to my question. As of right now, I am living in a four-person townhouse with three other roommates and will continue to do so next school year. However, for my senior year of college and beyond, I plan on living by myself and have been looking into getting a dog because, honestly, I can't wait any longer to get a dog of my own. I've begun doing some research into different breeds and into the typical size dog apartments will allow. Almost all that I have come across in my search will allow any dogs under 50lbs. Anyway, through my search I came upon the Cairn Terrier and I think it is the dog for me. I was wondering, based on your personal experiences with the breed, how they are training-wise, how energitic they are, availibility of breeders/rescues/et cetera.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Kayda...

Cairns are the most adorable, precious little dogs but stubborn, mind-set, independent yet loyal and caring. :confused:

They can be trained easily with determination, patience and consistancy but never should be trusted off leash.

They need exercise and a way to vent their energy but can be quite happy in an apartment setting providing they have physical and mental stimulation. They are extremely smart dogs and I honestly can't picture my life without one (or 2 or 3...)

One additional note is they can bark for no reason...at least for no reason we can see.

These sites give great information on the breed. Good Luck...

http://www.cairnrescue.com/

http://www.cairnterrier.org/breeders/

Hello Kayda, and welcome to the board.

I think Kay put it nicely, describing our cairn's. Only thing I might emphasize a bit more would be the stubborn part, and that they need that energy release in order for them to be the kind of pet you can love and enjoy.

Good luck with your studies, and making your decision on a dog.

Valerie

Kay and Valerie have described them perfectly. I can only add my personal experience with my pup. Harry is "extra-independent" and requires very little affection. I just happened to get the independent puppy out of an already independent group. Every puppy/dog is different within their own breed. Otherwise, my pup is an excellent companion. He is tough enough to do all the "big dog" stuff but small enough to take everywhere and anywhere. Enjoy and good luck with your choice!!

Hi Kayda,

I also live in Grand Rapids and have a 18 month old Cairn named Leo.

Breeders are hard to find in W. Michigan. I drove over to Adrian for mine.

Cairns are the best little dogs, but you really need to be committed to the exercise and training required to keep them (and you) happy.

Good luck on your search!

One more note - are you aware of the free dog park at Hillcrest school? It is total of 1 acre fenced in with large and small dog sections. It is a great spot that you can take advantage of whatever breed you select!

Welcome to Cairn Talk! I don't have anything more to add that was already said, but did want to add that it was hard for us to find a Cairn puppy. We didn't want to buy from a puppy mill or petshop. Actually, we found our last puppy through a message board similar to this. "Someone" knew "someone" that was breeding Cairns. We investigated the breeder and she investigated us....and a match was made! It took us about a year to find our second dog...but the wait was well worth it!

Welcome to the group! You've already gotten some terrific words of wisdom. Scully is my second Cairn and I would get another in a heartbeat. Both of them have been wonderful, amazing dogs. But....stubborn and headstrong beyond belief. My first Cairn was more of a lap dog but Scully has gotten better at that. She loves to lie next to her dad while he's watching TV. She's full of kisses and will definitely give you some if you ask her. They are terrific with kids, IMHO.

I really don't have any negatives. Best of luck in your schoolwork!

Hi Kayda. I'm a relatively new cairn owner myself-5 months but Molly was 4 when we got her. I had a min schnauzer for 14 years, and the difference in their personalities is like night and day. Molly LOVES everyone-people, dogs, cats, and is very affectionate. We never have to worry about her even with small children. Murphy was super aggressive and territorial about strangers, and it took a lot for him to warm up to people. I will say that Molly is very stubborn, as everyone has said. If she doesn't want to do something she doesn't do it. However, she's so precious and cute that we think everything she does is adorable. However, I know that I have to up my training, since it appears that she forgot everything she ever learned. These dogs would be perfect in an apartment, but as the others said exercise is the key.

Molly's mom

Sophie is a rescued breeder. She has a "softer" temperment than many of the other dogs on the list. She is very Cairn but to a more subtle degree.

She is an apartment dog, who is walked alot, and played with alot inside. I didn't have her during her puppyhood, but as she regained her health she went through a 'second childhood'. I'm all for getting a rescued dog. They have their issues but are so very greatful for the opportunity to have a family.

I was a non-traditional student from 2000-2004 and about my junior year I started thinking about life after college and knew I wanted a dog in that life. It was Oct. 2005 after graduation, and a couple of starting jobs before I could actually say life was stable enough to get a dog.

I find Sophie an outstanding dog for me. She is tough enough to play hard with, just cuddly enough to watch tv beside, funny, smart, determined and dang near fearless. She can also make me feel pretty foolish. She is not yappy, or aggressive, keeps my back warm at night and follows our one unbreakable rule...do not eat the cats.

Good luck

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Whatever breed I end up choosing (probably a Cairn though), I do plan on going to obedience classes which should help with the stubbornness, although I do know that it's a trait common to all terriers. And while it doesn't make me a perfect trainer, I would hope that my experience with horses would help me in training my future dog.

How do Cairns do with obedience training? Are they incredibly opinionated, or does it just take consistent work? Also, how do Cairns generally do with other types of animals? In my experience, most terriers do well around horses, and I spend so much at the barn that I would want my dog there with me. And as an aside, I do plan on checking with breed rescues first to see what dogs they have rather than jumping right into buying a puppy. Other than my horse, all of my pets have been rescues, and I feel very strongly about giving an abandoned pet a new opportunity at having a home.

Sophie lives with two grown cats, and does well. Someone else in the forum has horses I remember seeing pictures of them. Many members have competed with their dogs in various disciplines.

I would use the term strong minded. Like Sophie knows what sit means, and knows she gets a treat....sometimes she'll pass on the 'sit' other times she will sit before asked. She knows what is asked of her, just sometimes she isn't doing it....unless she is 'guided strongly".Opinionated and a breed that wants to know the benefit to them but certainly trainable.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Savannah was very easily trained. While in her training class, it usually only took a few days and she knew the command. One thing to note, I noticed if I spent too much time training, Savannah would get board. We tried to limit out training sessions to about 15 mintues 2 times a day. 15 minutes seemed to be about the right amount of time to where she was learning but she wasn't board. Savannah now knows several commands and is pretty reliable with most of them. As the others said, they are very independant, strong willed little dogs and she has her moments where I can give her a command and she looks at me like I have lost my mind. But it is that same temperment that makes them great little dogs! Best of luck in finding your new dog!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Archived