CairnTalk

Cairn Babysitting

prandaj

Hello everyone! I am starting to worry about my Cairn when I go on vacation this summer. We only go away once per year, for 10 days. Last year I left my dog with his breeder, he was 7 months old at the time. The breeder was located half way between my home and our vacation location. When I dropped him off, the breeder met me outside. I didn't think anything of it because I went in the house to purchase the dog 6 months earlier, but I never saw where the dogs stayed. When I picked him up 10 days later, the breeder brought the dog outside to me, again I didn't go inside. He was also groomed while he was there, but not washed, so he was quite smelly. There was another Cairn there at the time - I could see the dog running around in the house while I was waiting at the front door. When my dog got home he had a urinary tract infection.

I brought this up at our doggie training class recently and the trainer told me my dog had the infection because he was probably in a crate most of the time, or kept in an enclosed area where he was expected to pee, and he held it too long (he was already house trained when I brought him there). The trainer said the first warning was the fact that the breeder met me outside, instead of showing me where he would be staying, etc. And the same thing was done when I picked him up. So, now I'm starting to think about where to leave him this summer. I have been told never to leave them at the local commercial boarders because they are in cages all day except for one hour, and never go outside. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I have a friend whose sister agreed to watch him, but she is moving and the new house doesn't have a fended-in yard. She also has small children who love my dog and he loves them, but I wouldn't trust them to be careful to close doors or not feed him junk food. HELP!! :confused:

"If I only had a Cairn."

I have a few family members who live near by that I can call if I need a sitter but I also have a local "doggie daycare and boarding" place that I go. I made it a point to find a place like this as soon as possible when my pup was younger. I first met the woman who was going to care for my pup. She lead me to the doggie area (which is set up really great for dogs). It has a huge doggie suite where all the dogs can hang around (providing they all got along). It has individual sleeping quarters. It has a fenced in grass yard. She has lots of toys and things the dogs can do for fun. This lady also has a monitor set up in her kitchen so if she is away for any length of time, she can still keep an eye on things in the doggie suite.

I would try to find a place like this one (if you have no where else you can be sure of your pup's treatment and safety). Once you feel comfortable with a person and place, drop by with your pup and stay a little while there together. The next time take your pup and drop him off alone for a couple of hours. Before you know it, by the third or fourth time, he'll feel pretty comfortable there and you can enjoy your upcoming vacation.

When I take my pup to doggie daycare now (usually once a week to keep up his social skills :lol: ) he practically jumps out of my arms and into hers. He has a ball and he knows I'm coming back for him.

Good luck.

I would always want to see where my pet was staying, I'm lucky to have lots of family around who also have pets, so we all help each other out.What about at your dog training class, mabey someone there will know of somewhere?

Good luck.

Maybe we can establish regional cairn babysitting cooperatives! I'd be willing to watch a non-destructive housebroken cairn in exchange for same service for vacations!

Prandaj, I noticed you're from Rockland County. I live in New City. We bring our dog to Musbro Kennels in Orangeburg. It's said to be the best kennel, even dog owners from New Jersey travel to drop off their pets to Musbro. I asked the owner of our local pet store and she brings all of her 4 dogs to Musbro because it's important for her that her pets play together. They do get pretty busy so it's a good idea to always reserve early. We bring our own food, bedding and toys. Alfie is always happy to go there.

Anna

Anna,

Any recommendations for the Queens/LI area? I would love to find a reliable and caring doggy daycare, but so far have only found the ones that keep the pups in crates all day. :( :(

When we did board Mett & Bratt in the past, I got them an In/Out Kennel.

They had a doggy door to an inclosed outside area- I think the kennel run was 6' wide by 20' long in total, 10' inside/10'outside.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I am very lucky that my neighbor across the street loves my girls. When we go out of town she comes over 3 times a day to feed, potty and play with the girls.

She's been a lifesaver. I only took Tabitha to a kennel once and she came home very scared and with really bad kennel cough.

Thank you everyone for all your replies. I will definitely check out that kennel in Orangeburg, Anna, thanks so much for that. I appreciate all your information! :)

"If I only had a Cairn."

Good luck! Hopefully it will work out.

Milopup- I did not hear back from my friend about a LI doggie day care. He said he is 30 minutes away from the area you indicated...would you still be interested? If so, I will nag him.

One of the agents at work, for years, has taken her dog to this kennel. It's on the pricey side but she and her husband have always given it high marks for cleanliness, great staff, etc. I don't know if this would be a help.

Best Friends

Archived