CairnTalk

HELP ! Question on breeders

newmswife

We are searching for our first Cairn. We have found a pup we are going to look at tomorrow ( I think). In my question to the breeder I had asked " Would you have time to give us some instruction on hand stripping? The reply was " I don't do hand stripping, sorry " Is this a sign for us to BEWARE ? In all the research I have done on the Cairn my understanding is hand stripping is an absolute in maintaining the coat. Am I wrong?

Big red flag. I don't think any reputable breeder who breeds to improve the breed, tests his/her stock in the show ring, etc would give a reply like that. Sounds like a backyard breeder, who may just be breeding because they can, because somebody told them their dog was cute, because they wanted to enjoy the experience, etc etc. Reputable breeders know the standard for the breed, groom according to standards, and they know the genetics of their dogs and are scrupulous about health and give health guarantees. I urge you to take your time, review the club list of breeders on this website and find a great pup from people who take the breed seriously. It is REALLY worth the effort! Good luck and thanks for the question!

This is just my opinion but I would be concerned. You are correct that hand stripping is critical to a healthy Cairn coat, especially if the breeder is putting his/her dogs in the show ring. However, some people do not do their own stripping or have stopped due to arthritis or carpel tunnel (both can be caused by years of hand stripping). Perhaps further questions must be asked, such as "Can you recommend someone who does hand stripping?" and if the answer is still no, I would look at other breeders.

The purpose of good breeding is to improve the breed and the harsh coat is a critical element of the breed and it's AKC standard. A good breeder would consider that important.

Good luck!

Thanks. I did send a e-mail questioning the hand stripping and my understanding of the importance. I know she does not show her dogs. Said her mother used to be very active in showing Cairns until things got too "political" and ugly. We'll see what the reply is.

Thanks.  I did send a e-mail questioning the hand stripping and my understanding of the importance.  I know she does not show her dogs.  Said her mother used to be very active in showing Cairns until things got too "political" and ugly.  We'll see what the reply is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't recall who said it on the forum, but someone had said to beware of a breeder who talks about 'showing being to political'

You might want to ask her if she uses the Mars Coat King instead of hand stirpping... but if she 'clippers' I would beware.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

This lady sounds worth avoiding. She is not anwsering your questions and giving extra information instead. A run around.

I mean either she is a breeder who maintains her ring tested stock according to standard or she is not. Her mother's social difficulties are of no consequence. I would either wait for a more reputable breeder or consider adopting from rescue. I mean there are plenty Cairns of questionable bloodline waiting for homes, while this lady is pumping out more.

<puts away soapbox>

:huh:

Sophie

Image032.jpg

If you are considering getting a pup from this breeder, it might be worth a visit just to observe what type of environment this pup has been bred.

Use it as an opportunity to "pick her brain' during your visit. Find our more information on her breeding practices/standards/philosophy.

I know you said you have done your research so go prepared with a list of questions. I know the AKC website has a good list of questions to ask of a breeder.

From personal experience, a good/reputable breeder welcomes all questions even the ones that are not easy to ask!

At any rate, I would consider this a learning experience, sort of a measuring stick, for future visits with other breeders.

It may help you decide what type of breeder you feel most comfortable adopting your first Cairn from.

Regarding the handstripping, I know the breeder I got my pups from had a difficult time handstripping due to arthritis. However, she continued the practice just not as frequently as she once did.

Perhaps, this breeder has a valid reason for not handstripping. She should be able to provide you with an acceptable reason why she does not handstrip her dogs.

Best of luck,

Barbara

Well, I never had show dogs but I did show Arabian horses. The theory is the same. Sure sometimes a class judge may seem to favor a certain breeder (that is the "political thing" but really, usually that is not true. ) Successful programs do win and sometimes other people get jealous and perpetuate the "politics" complaint. In my very modest show experience, I was a "nobody" but I was able to beat the "biggie" breeders when I had a superior animal and when it was presented to its best advantage. I think that happens in the dog world too.

I have seen people with poorly bred and poorly conformed horses do poorly at the shows and blame politics. We horsemen call that "barn-blindness." Tsk-Tsk!

Sadly, dog breeders are probably similar. :shock:

Now, you can get a nice pet from the backyard breeder but you might also get a horror story. I'll admit my Westie (rest her soul) was from a puppy mill and she was the doggie-love of my life. (That was waay before I knew what a puppy mill was, mind you).

I wish animal breeding was regulated as it is in Eurpope but in America, anybody can mate any ol thing and get money for it. (Puggles!) And, dont get me started on the puppies smuggled accross the Mexican border and sold on streetcorners here in So California....oops, off topic.....

I would steer clear of this one. Sounds like she is just breeding for pets and that is not what great breeders do.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Went I sent the e-mail to the breeder regarding my understanding of coat care I waited all day for a reply and the bad feeling I had grew and grew...so late that evening I sent an e-mail with my apologies and that we were no longer interested and guess what???? Almost an immediate reply of okay!!! Hmmm.... wonder if the first e-mail was ever gonna be answered ... I think not. Good news though .......... I think we have found our pup !!!!!! We are going to see the pups Thurs. We know it will be a male and the pups are 8 weeks old today, so it will be awhile before he gets to come home. We have seen pics of the pups ( of course we don't know who is who since they all look alike :confused1: ) but they are adorable !! We found a very reputable breeder. I certainly don't have to worry about the hand stripping issue since the breeder and a friend actually made their own instructional video on it !!!

Thanks again everyone !

I am so happy to hear this has worked out for you!

:thumbsup:

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Hand stripping can be rough without being under the wing of a veteran. I got my first introduction to stripping from a schnauzer breeder. Thank goodness for that. You can also Google for Cairn hand stripping videos. There are a couple available. Cooper had his first stripping about a month and a half ago. His coat is growing in nicely. Good luck with your new puppy!

Archived