CairnTalk

Help....need advice...hawks circling dogs

The past month we have been noticing hawks circling our yard. I am quite worried that they might swoop down and try to pick up one of the dogs.

Our older cairn is 14-15 pounds, puppy, 7 months, is probably 8-10 pounds now. They seem particularly interested in the puppy since he is light colored. Do you think they could take them at those weights? Have you ever heard of this before??

I am pretty worried....

Thanks,

Cathy

We live in the country 6 1/2 miles out of town. We have a lot of coyotes, and hawks. Yes, I have seen them flying around over our dog. We don't allow him out without us on a leash. We have a dog pen and my husband built a roof over it. Even with that we check on him when he is out there. Obviously; the hawks believe they can attack and carry off the dogs or else they wouldn't be around. If they would attack them they could do terrible damage to their little bodies, take care of them.

Posey

In the back, we built a dog patio and I put on a makeshift fabric roof held up by a couple of poles. The "roof" is attached to the sides of the fence.

I have a regular roof over the porch, but there is a four-foot space between the fence and the roof. Should I worry?

Thanks.

Hi! I also live out in the country with many kinds of wildlife in my backyard. You need to be especially careful of the hawks - - I have seen them carry off rabbits that are larger and probably heavier than my Cairn puppy. I first noticed them years ago when I had my two golden retriever puppies out in the yard.

I don't believe they can differentitate between rabbits and puppies - - it is a food source for them. I would suggest keeping a watchful eye on your dogs!

Ellenn, sounds to me like you have already concerned yourself over protecting your puppy. Being watchful is the best protection that there is. The fabric roof offers some protection. But there is no protection like us owners of Cairns being right there with them. If I leave Nicky alone for anytime at all he finds something to get in trouble over. He will eat something and get sick or try to get under something he should not. So it is on leash or us right behind him as he "runs like the wind" in his yard.

Good luck.

Posey

I can't believe we are going thru this! We are in SUBURBIA!! Heavily populated area! Over 150,000 people around here.

We have lived in this house with our 12 year old Cairn for 9 years and this is the first time we have seen hawks.

We did have some problems with possums (eewww!) this summer, too. Scared the heck outta the puppy one night.

Both the dogs like to spend warm days lounging outside. It is almost impossible for me to watch them 100% of the time. Especially with TWO of them. One wants in, the other wants out. I am constantly 'serving' these two little :angel: as a doorman!

Cathy

P.S. Also saw an owl the other night that appeared to be scoping out the puppy, too!!! Any comments? Will they take the dogs, too?

Hi! I would imagine that an owl could be as much of a threat to a small dog as hawks are but one thing that concerns me is this: you mentioned possums scaring your puppy? - - - we had a rabid possum attack our two golden retrievers one summer - - luckily my neighbor next door was a hunter and killed it for us. He then buried it in plastic bags in a deep, deep hole.

I think it is prudent to keep an eye on any animal left outdoors for some time - - you just never know!

Also had a bad encounter with a rabid racoon - - none of our dogs were bitten because we were home to react to the situation - - I shudder to think what could have happend had we been out!

Archived