CairnTalk

Such a sad time with our little guy!

bonniebelle

Well, everybody, I fear the Rainbow Bridge is near for our little Trissie. :( He was 16-1/2 on Friday. Of course, he has been showing many signs of advancing age for awhile.

He seemed to feel particularly *off* yesterday, got car-sick more easily than usual, stood around with tremors and confusion a lot. Last night, my husband discovered a large swelling in his abdomen. We know it just flared up because we rub his little tummy everyday! We would have noticed it before if it were there at all. He won't eat today, won't settle down more than a few minutes at a time, and was trembling all over in his sleep earlier today. He takes DuraMaxx everyday for his Arthritis, and I don't know what more to do for him

His Vet is not in today, of course, but we will have him there first thing in the morning. I can't believe what we may face tomorrow. We have lost two little ones before, but it's always awful .... He has been the sun, moon and stars to us since he was a baby, the sweetest little creature. It is so hard to know when you're being selfish and when it's time to let go ... :(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tlwtheq, thank you so much. We gave him the DuraMaxx earlier than scheduled today, and he's finally relaxed and is sleeping some now. Have any of you reading this ever found a swelling on one of your dogs like I'm describing? It's as though he has puffed up with fluid in that spot ... not like soft tissue! :( I keep thinking the worst, I'm afraid ..........

Bonnie,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. The swelling? Is there any liver problems from the past? My Missy passed 5 days short of 17. Missy's was liver failure.

I couldn't let Missy suffer as the convulsions were an hour apart, each one she came out of but never back to her senses. The toxins were too much in her body. I had to let my little girl go with dignity. She was so much part of my life.

My promise to her was always too never let her suffer, that was my last gift of love to her. To set her free of pain.

My heart goes out to you as I know just how hard it is. We love them so much. It's never easy.

I will keep you & Trissie in my thoughts.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

I feel so sad for you and all that you and your little one are going through - - you will be in my thoughts - - - God bless!

HI Bonnie:

I am so sorry to her about your little guy.

I've had what you are describing before, but in was in conjuction with an ingrown hair- a localized infection, my dog ran a fever with it...

Keep us posted..

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I'm sorry about your Trissie, I've been there too, it's a hard descision to make for sure.....hang in there. (((((hugs))))))

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Im so sorry , I will be thinking of you all day ,and sending posative vibes, Im sure you will know what to do when the time come's

Binky

Good Morning Bonnie,

I also will pray for you and Trissie. I can only imagine the pain you are feeling right now...we will all be here for you. Keep good thoughts.

Bonnie

Iam so so sorry to hear about Trissie....

There are no words to truely reflect what you are feeling...

but I know how deeply your pain and worry must be...

Your love for Trissie is deep...so take this love and if you can....TRY to focus on making some percious last moments with her....

I often go over and over my head what I DIDNT do with Bubba when he was so sick. I worried so much and focused on his sickness and his every move..that I think I forgot to just ENJOY what we had left in him....which was indeed a strong spirit and lots of love...

TRY if you can during this time to take a moment and overlook Trissies poor health and do something special you both can share to make a lasting memory....

A walk...a car ride..carrying her to a favorite spot to share a moment in the sun together...bring back Trissie to how she was when she was healthy...and capture this peacefulness one last time....trust me...it will make you feel so much better...and Trissie will love it too...

During this time its the peacefulness we should be seeking...the minutes..the memories...dont let that slide by and be overtaken by the stress and strain of her poor health

I know it is difficult for you now...the watching..the waiting...Trissie is luckey to have you in her life to share whatever may happen today or tomorrow...find relief in the fact that she wont be alone...and that right now...at this very moment...she is with you..and thats all that matters.

Please keep us posted so we can continue to pray...

You will be in my thoughts

Hang in there...

Stacey

Stacey, Shep, Dingo, Oakie and of course, Bubba!!

First, to all of you, from the bottom of my heart .... thank you for your kindness and concern. You are all wonderful, and I appreciate every word you've said to me!

Now ... my DH and I just returned from the Vet's where Trissie was X-rayed, and the results were not good. He has a huge mass in his stomach, and we don't know what it is or what organs are involved. He is having an ultrasound, as we speak, which will give the doctor much more information.

He seemed to feel so much better yesterday afternoon and evening, and the swelling actually deflated quite a bit. But by this morning, he was swelling in that same spot again. :( I will post again this afternoon after we talk with the doctor.

Thank you again for all your kind thoughts and prayers. Trissie and I appreciate them so much ...

Bonnie,

I, too, faced the delimma you are faced with now. When to say goodbye. We have had to let two of our Cairns go to the Rainbow Bridge in the past and it is not an easy thing to go through. We were selfish (I realize that now, too late) and tried to keep them here with us as long as we could. We didn't consider their quality of life or whether they were ready to go.

I will pray for your little girl and for the strength you will need to make that decision. Please keep us updated as we all worry when one of our friends is in pain. We feel it too. Blessings to you and to Chrissie.

The sad news is that Trissie has a huge cancerous mass on his spleen, with pockets of blood that could rupture, and he could bleed out any time! The doctor says he has a month at most, as he is. :( There are no signs of spreading, although the ultrasound would not pick up microscopic spread, so we can't be sure. The only options are to try this major surgery at age 16 -1/2, which could save his life and give him a little more time ....... OR to give him a shot and let him go peacefully.

That is the awful choice we must make this evening. It is heartbreaking ... :( If anyone has any thoughts, I am open to them.

I am so sorry to hear about Trissie. :( I really feel for you, it is horrible when we have to go through this with our babies and seeing them in pain is just unbearable. I will be praying for you and your family as you go through this difficult time. (Big long distance HUG) :(

I cannot offer advice because my heart takes over my mind in situations like these. But, I think any decision should come down to quality of life.

What is the recovery time frame for this type of surgery? And how painful would this surgery be for him? How much time does your vet think this surgery would give him and would he be able to enjoy life pain-free afterwards?

Have you talked to your vet about your options and do you trust his/her advice? 16+ years means you've been a wonderful Cairn "mommy" and as painful as it may be, I would really put my decision in what my vet recommends and if necessary, getting a second opinion.

Sandy

I cannot offer advice because my heart takes over my mind in situations like these. But, I think any decision should come down to quality of life.

What is the recovery time frame for this type of surgery? And how painful would this surgery be for him? How much time does your vet think this surgery would give him and would he be able to enjoy life pain-free afterwards?

Have you talked to your vet about your options and do you trust his/her advice? 16+ years means you've been a wonderful Cairn "mommy" and as painful as it may be, I would really put my decision in what my vet recommends and if necessary, getting a second opinion.

Sandy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just wanted to put emphasis on the "second opinion" idea. Olie (5.5 years) just had a tumor removed and they had to make a very drastic cut for a very small tumor. For the first 24 hours following the surgery he was in a lot of pain. After that, he perked right up. Not trying to influence you one way or another. Just letting you know how it was in this case.

Like everyone else, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tara, Olie and Teddy's Mom

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Bonnie, I am so truly sorry for what you are going through - and what your Trissie is going through. This is truly one of life's hardest decisions to make and one that I know that I was troubled with when my first Cairn was ill at 14. My first thought was God bless Trissie for such a long, terrific life. Obviously he had a life filled with much love.

For me, I couldn't stand for Ginger to be in pain and I always remember my vet telling me "you'll know in your heart when it's time." I wish I had a magical answer for you. I think what comes foremost to my mind is the quality of living that Trissie would have after a major surgery at his age. Your vet would be able to give you the best advice on that.

Please know we are all thinking of you and Trissie. God bless. Many prayers headed your way :pray:

Bonnie,

Thinking of you and Trissie now. This is such a very difficult time for you. Please know that we all care and I pray for clarity in all this for you now.

Lisa

:( Oh Bonnie what can I say?? My heart breaks for you....

I am so so sorry to hear about Trissie....

As most have said..you will know in your heart what to do...when it is time.

For now all you can do is take it hour by hour..moment by moment.

I cannot offer any advice on what decision to make...but I can send you my prayers and caution you to please...take time...and dont be pressured into any quick decisions....

Trissie WILL let you know...and in your heart..you WILL feel it..

Trust that bond between both of you...it is strong and doesnt lie....

I will pray very very hard for Trissie....

Stacey

Stacey, Shep, Dingo, Oakie and of course, Bubba!!

Bonnie,

As the others said, your heart will tell you. It is a hard call. Others asked did the vet say the recovery time, etc... How is his heart, is he up to with standing the surgery. I know with my Missy at almost 17 if there was anything I could of done to make her better, I would of, in her case there was nothing.

It is a hard call and when we have to say, enough is enough and should we put them threw a surgery at that age. I wish I had the answer but I dont. I do have many prayers coming your way and hoping that you do what you feel is best for Trissie. My Missy's Dr always said to me to remember quality not quanity.

Hugs and prayers.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Archived