CairnTalk

Running with Cairn

ChanceFromOxford

We have a Cairn puppy, who is almost six months old. Does anyone run with their dog? We have an older dog (ten years old, Shih Tzu poodle mix) who we have been running with since he was a pup. He really loves it and we would like to take the puppy out as well. Our usual run is three miles.

Thanks!

I am not an expert by any means, but I think your puppy is way too young to run 3 miles. A mile walk, I feel, would be more appropriate. You may want to start slow and increase your distance and then your speed and see how your puppy handles the walks. :)

I'm kinda of the same opinion as Shoe. My pup mountain hikes with me (approximately 4 miles/hike) but we took a long time to gradually work up the that. We started off very slowly. I watched the dog to pickup his signals as to how much was quite enough. I think you should start out slowly and then work your way up to the place that your dog is most comfortable with.

Good luck.

I've tried to run with my Cairn, but it doesn't work! He wants to go this way when I want to go that way. He wants to stop and sniff, and then cross in front of me at odd times without warning. I had no problem running with my little Bischon, but a terrier wants to do what a terrier wants to do. If you figure out how to run with yours, let me know.

I run with my two, and well, sometimes they get out in front like they should and sometimes its a snarl. Be conservative with the distance--at six months I agree a mile or less, walk and jog easy, let the pup set the pace and watch for soreness. Mine are a year now, and we jog/walk/run/walk a couple miles.

Good luck!

You can actually do a lot of damage to a young dog by doing that kind of repetitive motion exercise with them. I understand that it can damage growth plates as well as bones. The type of exerceise recommended for a dog that has not stopped growing is active normal play (fetch, chasing, natural forms of exercise). :)

Archived