CairnTalk

Mars King Coat in Winter

Paula

Hi, Cairn lovers!

I've used the Mars King Coat in summer and it's worked wonders on my Cairn. Holly is now nine months old and it's almost winter in Argentina, where we live. I was wondering if it's a good idea to use the MKC in winter, because I think that maybe she'll feel cold without all that extra hair. Is this accurate? Do you use the MKC in winter too?

Thanks everyone!!

Paula

If you regularly groom them, MCK or hand-stripping, a Cairn should have multiple coats - some hair old and ready to pull out, some medium length, and some new coat just coming in. By all accounts the MCK does cut some of the medium coat but still pulls enough to keep new coat coming in, so I'd see no reason to adjust my grooming summer or winter.

In my view, a healthy coat is a healthy coat, regardless of weather. For instance, in summer people sometimes shave down their dogs, yet studies have shown (using northern breeds as the extreme case of thick coats) that they remain cooler with the thick coat - shaving them down ruins the insulating capacity of the coat nature gave them. Just like a thermos, the insulation works to their benefit in both hot and cold, apparently.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived