CairnTalk

Grooming?

Radaddy

How about grooming?

My Cairn is 10 months old and I just don't trust myself with grooming/stripping him. He's shedding a little and I think that's what I've heard called his "puppy coat" coming off.

One problem is that I live in a small town. Our vet has a groomer come in periodically, but when we took Tucker there, they just trimmed his entire coat down so that he looked like a puppy again. I didn't mind that, but I'd really like to see him look more like a cairn now. I just don't know if the groomer knows what to do with a cairn. There is another groomer in town with pure-bred dogs, so perhaps I'll talk to them, too, but any other ideas would be a big help.

Thanks!

Get yourself an undercoat rake. Brush him with this every few days. It will help remove the hair he is shedding.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I agree with Mama but we brush Cody every day. He just got his first haircut. We asked the vet to thin it out rather than shearing it down. He mainly needed his face and paws cleaned up as the regular brushing removes any hair that is ready to fall out before it clumps up. He doesn't love the brushing but usually sits still for most of it. He hates having his tail and feet brushed though.

Archived