CairnTalk

Recommended Chew Toys?

Radaddy

Hey folks!

My Cairn is 10 months old and still LOVES to chew on stuff! :twisted: I can clear the floor and think all is put away and he STILL manages to find a pencil or something to mutilate. We've gotten all sorts of chew toys - he likes his little "Kong" when there's a treat in it and he loves the compressed rawhide sticks (but they never last long with him). We got this "AirBall" tennis ball ring thing that has lasted quite a while and some smaller tennis balls that he loves playing with. Other than those, chew toys are demolished and shredded within minutes. He doesn't seem to like the hard rubber toys that are not as destructible. I'm looking for a few things that we can get that will last. Any ideas?

I joined this forum to get help with our Cairn, but haven't had much luck here yet, so any replies would be greatly appreciated! :D

Hi!! I have found that my 7 month lil cairn likes the beef-basted flat rawhide - - it lasts forever!! Also he enjoys anything with a squeaker in it but it must be made of a durable material - - the soft toys are demolished within a matter of minutes. We have several pet stores here that have lots of toys to choose from - - his favorite has always been a flat, fuzzy teddy bear with a squeaker - - it is small - - and he can play with that and have me chase him for hours!!! He also loves the tennis balls with the pull ropes in them - - hope this helps!!!!

Rawhide makes me nervous although we used them for years without any bad experiences personally. The past couple years we've switched to 'macho' sticks (we get them in bulk from www.sitstay.com but they are available many places - we also see them at shows, etc.). They are VERY expensive but at least last a few sessions each. We buy the 12" length - puppies look comical wrestling with them but that's part of the exercise. We put them down for no more than an hour and watch them like a hawk to ensure they don't get too small. We take them away (and throw them away) when they are 2-3 inches. They do not smell awful like hooves and are not as brittle and potentially tooth-damaging as hooves. Eating nylon just never made sense to me, although we did succumb and try a Galileo nylabone once -- it was very popular with a couple of the dogs.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived