CairnTalk

Such A Heart-Tugging Time!

bonniebelle

:( I watched my Trissie, age 16 - 1/2 years, this morning as he started to go into his *head-shoulder* roll, and as he went down, he started to lose his balance and had to stop. Then as he started to do his *stretch-out* with his legs splayed behind him, he had to stop, move very slowly and gingerly, and work his way out of it.

During the night, he was restless, came up between my and DH's pillows, fidgeted often ...

How I wish they could talk! He has his pain med (for arthritis) everyday, but I wish I knew what else we could do for him to make him comfy at this age. We love, coddle, pamper ... but you can't keep that damnable old age away!!! :(

Just had to talk to others who must be going through the same thing ... Thanks for listening ..

It's rough as they age. I don't have any advice other than softer places to lay, warmth helps stiff joints, and maybe the vet can evaluate whether he needs a change in meds.

I am sure others will have good things to help keep him comfortable.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

It's been a long time since I have had an older dog, but I remember how hard it was to watch her age. How long has it been since he has been to the vet? Maybe they can give some advice on how to make Trissie more comfortable. ((hugs))

Well, I know that we're doing about everything humanly possible to care for him. He sleeps with us, is not allowed to jump off furniture or steps, we carry him in and out to the backyard, keep him secured in the car. He has a soft bed, for when he's left in the kitchen, etc., etc.

He sees his Vet frequently (we spend more on him than most children get spent on their healthcare, I swear!), whenever we notice ANYTHING markedly different. What I'm seeing is AGING (and I know I wouldn't have wanted the alternative!!!!) And I hate it .... I'm just venting, and thank you so much for listening, and sympathizing! I do appreciate it!!!

Hi Bonnie:

I am no means a vet, but I did give my aging German Shep. who had spinal arthritis- I would give him a dietary supplement in his food- something like this Joint care supplement for moderate to severe arthritic conditions this is a simular product from the Drs. Fosters Smith catalog. And per my vets directions/weight/size of dog- I did give a baby asprin on really bad days.

I know that now they have human grade meds that can be perscribed for dogs who have arthritis.... If anything for the bad days...

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Bonnie, I remember all too well what you're going through. But God bless Trissie at being 16 1/2!!!! I too, carried my Ginger up and down the stairs; out to potty, etc. whenever she needed the help. As wonderful as it is having these furry little loved ones, it's really hard to bear when we see them in their older years. Hang in there!

Have you thought about accupuncture? My cousin took her very large, aging Swissie to the University here where a Chinese doctor was teaching the vet students accupuncture. Ty got so much better from the treatments he went from barely able to walk to trotting about once in a while! I may give it a try myself some day, either for the dog or for me!

We met a new cairn in our neighboorhood yesterday. A really darling black cairn, 13+ years.....she was just so beautiful, precious face. She's going blind and cant get around good. THe lady says she has been the best dog ever. SHe had a great haircut, nice thick fur. Wish i could get dori's like that.

anyway, it's tough having an older, aging dog. We had that with Murphy, my golden. Got to where he couldnt see, hear, get up, get down...and he was almost 100 pounds. Poor old guy.

Bless their hearts.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Bonnie,

As far I as can tell you're doing all the right things...caring for his joints, watching his diet and being responsive to his needs. As you already know, that is the exact advice you've been getting from everyone here on the forum.

You're right about the irritation of having to watch a dear friend age...it sucks and there's just no two ways about it. You just can't help remembering when they were frisky devilish little things that just wouldn't quit no matter what.

The good news is that you still have him...and you have us. Come and vent anytime.

Tara, Olie and Teddy's Mom

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Hi! Just want you to know that I can empathize with you - - - it is harder on us to watch our animals age than it is on them - - - we know the end result - - - it's a shame we couldn't all stay young forever!!

Winnie will be 13 and I honestly believe having Madison and Elliott around have kept her young at heart.

She is slower to get up, she tires very easily but she still has that spark in her eye to keep up with the youngsters and she does it quite well. How we laugh when she's the one who comes up with the ball that was thrown down the hallway while Maddy and Elliott run around wondering where the ball went.

Come supper time she's the first one who let's me know what the clock says and does her dinner dance in front of the kitchen counter while I prepare their gourmet meal.

We do the geriatric exam/testing and try to keep her weight down. She is my family's favorite although they do love Maddy and Elliott. My mother will call only to ask "How's my Winnie doing?", never mind how I'm doing!

She is one of a kind and remarkable. I know there will be a day when we will have to say goodbye....what keeps me sane is the knowing she'll be up there waiting for me. God knows I don't want to go to heaven and not know anyone.

Hi Bonnie,

You are doing everything you can. Thankfully my Missy had no arthridic problems. See, when she was 6 she had the surgery for slipping knee caps then 2 years later she pulled her cruciate ligament. Her Dr recommended Glycoflex after her surgery. I put her on glycoflex for a year and it did miracles for her because during her aging years she never had a problem. I lost her at 17, all I could say is cherish those golden years. I know its hard seeing them age, very hard. I look back on the years and the one's I cherish oh so much our her gloden years.

I cherished all 17 but when they age and you see the greying around the muzzle etc... you know there age is progressing. I wish they could live forever but we all know that is not realistic. We have to cherish the time they are with us.

I hope your baby has many more years.

Take care and give that baby a kiss for me.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Bonnie,

We just went through this with our girl Toto, who has since gone onto the Bridge at 13+ years old. It is very hard to see such a vibrant, energetic breed slow down. Even harder saying goodbye.....

One thing that you mentioned, the restlessness at night, Toto went thru that, too. We finally resorted to crating her again at night. As a pup, she hated her crate and ended up on our bed at about 6 months old. So, it was strange to do that to her again after so many years. But, she actually preferred it. She would run right in the crate at bedtime. Maybe it was better that she didn't have us tossing and turning disturbing her sleep?

It does sound like you are doing all that you can to make him more comfortable. I am glad to hear that you have your vet following his health closely.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Guys, I always say that *dog people* are the best in the world! It is so obvious that you all absolutely understand how I feel, and how difficult this time is. I appreciate so much your support and wonderful, comforting comments. I am so fortunate to have the love and devotion of this magnificent little creature; there really is no love like that that we receive from our little canine buddies.

Big hugs to you all, and thank you for all your kindness!

Archived