CairnTalk

Grasshoppers, etc.

Posey

It has been awhile since I have had a problem with my Nicky. BUT he has taken to vomiting once a day the last several days. He has no fever, bowels etc. are normal. He acts pretty bright eyed and bushy tailed, is very playful and rearing to go. Except he has been supplementing his regular diet with grasshoppers, crickets and various other heaven knows what; that creeps and crawls across his path. I am do for surgery myself the 27th, and am worried sick that he will be sick while I am gone-for several days in the hospital. I have an appointment with the vet for tomorrow. Has this ever happened to any one else with their Cairn? Nicky is 16 months old, otherwise eats good and is fat and sassy. Appreicate insight. Also, has been wormed by the vet after vacation and is otherwise fine. :(

Posey

My little guy is an avid bug hunter, too. He stands under the light by the back door and 'plays' with moths. Just loves flingin' them around and can't understand when they just lay there dead after awhile! Hehe! Then he eats them. He also ate lightening bugs, flies and june bugs most of the summer, too.

He has only thrown up once and I am not sure if it was from the bugs as hubby was wrestling with him, too. I think he overate and just too much activity too soon after eating.

What do you feed your little guy? We feed ONLY dog food, no table scraps or people food of any kind. Made that mistake with our older Cairn.

Does he vomit about the same time everyday? Soon after eating? Reason I ask is that dry food dog swells up in their tummies after they ingest it. It could be that he is filling up to the brim with dry food and then when he drinks, he gets 'overfull' and up it comes. This happens with our cat frequently.

If he is acting ok, I don't think I'd get overly concerned. At least not yet anyway.

Good luck with your upcoming hosptial stay.

Cathy

I took all food away from him for 12 hours and cooked some white breast chicken and rice with a little broth. He is keeping it down and along with water all night. Have an appointment with vet at 10:15. Nicky eats Innova canned food and Wellness dry. Never a problem till he started eating bugs along with cooler weather while he has been outside in his play pen. Which is a covered dog run with a cement floor. I am going to have hernia surgery and so did't want him sick while his daddy was home alone with him. I should only be gone for overnight stay in hospital. So hopefully all will work out okay.

Posey

Piper has a steady diet of bugs too. It doesn't seem to adversely affect her though. ;)

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

From the vet with Nicky. He said that his abdomen was nice and soft and that he had no fever. But said that eating indiscretions was the obvious problem. And said to give him a whole Pepcid AC Regular strength; up to two a day. So we stopped at the store and bought some and gave him one. He ate some chicken and rice and is now napping. He also had his shots updated, the vet said that Nick was in excellent shape. Always glad to hear that. But did you ever hear of giving them Pepcid? He even had boxes in his office. Thanks to all who show concern, it means so much to have a place to come when we are worried over our Cairns.

Posey

Yes, I have heard of that. In fact, when we were at my parents' home in Wisconsin with Piper (she was about 11 weeks old), she got into something that didn't agree with her. We called the vet and were told to give her Pepcid or Pepto Bismol tabs. It seemed to work.

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

but the Pepcid came back up a little while later. So now I tried the Pepto Mismo, liquid so far its stayed down along with a meal. I hope that it works. Thanks Mama Kim, for replying.

Posey :P

Well, at least you know he got a clean bill of health at the vet. I hope this will fix what's ailing him. Keep us posted, Posey.

(As I'm typing this, I'm being bombarded by Piper with her favorite 'cow' sqqueaky toy, lol! I type a few words, then throw the cow, type, throw, type, throw, well you get the picture! You'd never know she had surgery on Friday! ;) )

Mama Kim, Yes, thus far the Pepto Bismo is doing a fine job for him. He has not upchucked since his first dose of it. (1/4 cc per lb of body weight).

He is still on broth, chicken and rice and will be for a while, then I gradually will introduce his regular diet back in. He has always had a srong stomach until this. But I know that it was something he got a hold of. Learn a lot with these little guys about first aid and such. Thank god for the internet.

Posey

Hi! I have found that most dogs can handle the same types of medicine that we - - as humans- - can consume. In the past I have used Pepto Bismo - for upset stomach - - and Kaopectate - - for loose bowels. Both seem to fix the problem without upsetting the dog - - need to start with small dosages. I have had a sick lil guy from his first few months of life so I - - unfortunately - - know that these medicines can work. Sometimes even with careful watching, our little Cairns can get into stuff that can upset their stomachs!! Hope your little dog gets well soon!!

Hi all! Our vet told us about the pepcid AC when my two little angels :angel: had a feast of baby bunnies. It took about a week for them to come back up. Scared me to death! Poor George shook all over. We fed them hamburger and rice and ahalf of a Pepcid twice a day. I hope that was a puppy thing and we don't have to go through it again next spring!

I'm glad you pup is doing better and I hope your surgery does as well!

Nicky is down to two-doses of Pepto Bismo a day and I gave him some of his regular food today and it has stayed down. Its over two days now and no more upchucking and he is sleeping and playing like his old self. Which probably made him eat whatever made him sick to begin with. We live in the country and have lttle ground lizards and toads, not to mention all the interesting insects that he hunts down and chops up and swallows before we can get to him. We have to watch him like a hawk when he is running in the yard. I too, hope that a lot of this is a puppy thing.

Posey

Archived