CairnTalk

Lets try this again

Toto

Sandy- Two?

I want them all! (Not really- I couldn't affort to replace that much chewed up stuff!)

Toto- how on earth will you ever choose?

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I don't know which one of the four boys is mine, but I hope just a little that its on of the red one, but I'll him now matter what! :D

P.S. those are all the boys

How adorable! Finch was one of three and the other two were black...made my decision easy since I asked for a red brindle!

I bet you can't wait to smell that puppy breath...lucky you!

What cute little bundles.

Dumb question time: How does buying a pup from a breeder work...you "place an order" as to color or sex and then if that type of puppy is born...you can have it? Or what?

I don't mean to be stupid but I'm not sure how the process works.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Toto- I almost forgot to tell you this- I didn't ask for the 'mellow ones',

Is their such a thing? A mellow Cairn Puppy? :D

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Just to give you an idea of how buying from a breeder works, I will share our experiance with Savannah. We picked a reputable breeder and based on the color that the mother and father is, we had a pretty good idea what color Savannah would be (boy has she surprised us in that area!) Anyway, we also knew that we wanted a female. It just so happened that the breeder that we picked acutally had some puppies that had just been born that were unspoken for. She sent us a picture and told us the 2 females that were available and we picked Savannah (she had 3 males and 3 females in her litter). If she didn't have a female or if we weren't interested in any of the females that she had, she would put us on a waiting list and call us when a new litter of pups was born. We had to wait until Savannah was 9 weeks old and then we went and picked her up. In the meantime, the breeder sent pictures every week so that we could see her and see how she was growing up (the breeder lived in Florida which was too far for us to visit every week).

Different breeders do things differently but that was our experiance.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Only One Week now :D

Ok, here's how it went

First, I had to choose the parents I wanted, there was a black brindle "couple" and a red wheaten "couple" I chose the red one because I like the color.

The first two peolpe are able to put a down payment on first or second choice male or female. After they are born, the rest of the places are filled up to take the other puppies. I was second choice of the male.

I'll pick him OUT next week and pick hime UP the first week of May. :lol:

oooh yes those boys are cute, maggie needs a baby brother to torment!! My experience with visiting some breeders also is that they will 'interview' you and watch you interact with their pups/dogs. Since we weren't 'show' people we were told that we could get bumped if an experienced show person wanted a pup, this was before maggie was born... after passing the 'interviews' we waited for the birth, the mom only had 2, both girls, which was what we were after, the breeder wanted to keep one for show, so we didn't really know until about week 6-7 which pup was ours, so it was a bit weird visiting and not knowing! Surprisingly this breeder never visited our house prior to selecting us, a friend of mine was interviewed in her home so the breeder could see the yard etc.

...needless to say, we got a great pup, well behaved from day one!! we were able to take her home at week 10. we visited pretty much every weekend since week 2 and even gave the breeders her pen and bed at week 8 for her to get accustomed to, her mom did her routine of inspecting the bed and pen and lying in it prior to letting any pups in... she was experienced mom!! ...pups are soooo fun, maggie turns 1 on the 29th!

a

I left the "picking out" job to the breeder only because I couldn't travel up to N.H. to pick out a pup. I trusted her 100% on selecting the right male for me.

I came home with Elliott!! :whistle::lol::whistle: And I wouldn't trade him for anything.

The breeders we got Brody and Mia from are very small and they try to place "show" quality dogs with people who are going to show them. The dogs have to be a little older to determine if they are show quality (and even then it is an imprecise science), so the people who want pet quality have to wait and see how it all sorts out. If you want a specific sex, you might have to wait several litters. When were looking for Mia, our breeder had 2 litters, but only girl, which she was keeping. Sometimes, if you don't mind an older puppy, you can get a dog that was being held to see if they were show quality. That is how we got Brody. He was 4 months old, and they decided he wasn't going to cut it in the ring. Of course, I think they were wrong! Poor Mia, was returned by her first owner partly because the owner was overwhelmed, but also because she had an underbite which is a no-no in the show ring.

Archived