CairnTalk

at what age should it be easer to housetrain dragon

pagan_ storm_ dragon

:angel:

Hi dragon is allmost 11 weeks old. I have had him where after I take him outside to go to the bathroom come right back in the house and pee right in front of me and then run and hide. I went and got a book at the local pet smart place and It did not give good info. It was one of there own books.

The proublem I have with him is that I hate to put him in a pet taxi all of the day usless he is out side to go to the restroom.But when he is in the pet taxi he will not have any proublems and I pick him up and take him out side about every half hour. he does fine. doing it this way. But how will he ever learn how to tell me that he needs to go out if he is in a pet taxi and is never in the house running loose.

How long do you all think it will take him to learn to eather bark and tell me he needs to go out or even go to the door when he needs to go out when I do start takeing him out of the pet taxi.

He does get alot of exersize when I take him out and when my 3 boys take him in the back yard to play. But it sure would be nice to have him out in our new house to play and be a bigger part of our day.

I got him so that i would have a friend with me when my husband is at work and the kids are at school. I take him with me every place I go if I am not going to be in a place that he cant go in and that it is not to hot for him to stay in the van for about 10 min with his water dish.

Even if he is just 11 weeks old he is a big part of my heart. I just need some ideas on how to get him to go to the restroom out in the yard.

Do some dogs that are born and raised on concreet not ever get to like grass? I think that might be his proublem. But he does like to play out in the grass with me and the boy's.

I have had a Carin b4 but they were rescue dogs and allready house trained so I never had a proublem with them.

Any help would be nice. :oops: 8) :o :angel:

Don't expect too much too soon. There have also been several other housebreaking threads you may want to read. Most are in the behavior and health forum. Check out these:

Edit: internal forum links broken by forum conversion. They were just links found with the Search function anyway. Try it.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Don't get discouraged. Kudzu was about 6 months before he was fully housetrained. My other dog (a lab) took 4 days. From some of the posts I've read it can take a while for a cairn. Kudzu was extremely trainable in every way but housebreaking. The good news is that one day he just "got it".

Don't get discouraged.  Kudzu was about 6 months before he was fully housetrained.  My other dog (a lab) took 4 days.  From some of the posts I've read it can take a while for a cairn.  Kudzu was extremely trainable in every way but housebreaking.  The good news is that one day he just "got it".

Man I'm glad to hear somebody say that! My 11-week-old male, Duke, is responding to obedience training extremely well. He comes, sits, goes to the house, fetches and gets "off" of stuff (like his little teeth on my hand!) on command pretty consistently. But house training is evading him.

By the way, this is my first Cairn. What a great little dog!

Tim

Archived