CairnTalk

Beach dog

My family lives on the beach. Gulf of Mexico. We have been resisting the idea of a dog for many years as we have somehow come to the conclusion that this may not be a great place for a dog. Can't really say why. Now my youngest daughter is dying for a dog. She's 10 and her sister is 14. My will is eroding....fast. I grew up with Scotties and Westies and my daughter's interest has got me thinking I may have been wrong all this time. And my children have never had a dog.

We have a single family house with a fenced yard. The family is very active( camping, surfing, sailing, gymnastics, etc.) and we travel fairly frequently. We also have three female cats.

So what do you think? would a Cairn enjoy living on a barrier island? Lots of sand and seaoats and water.

And a little girl who wants a dog.

Go for it. Cairns are very adventurous. I'm sure if you got a cairn puppy, it would love the surf and sand.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I say "go for it"! Cairns are very adventuresome!

And....both my Cairns LOVE little girls! Something about their high pitched voices just gets 'em every time!

Cathy

I have two girls 5 and 7. We are also very active. We have a home on a lake and Kudzu just loves it. He could chase waves all day. I think that cairns are meant to be active, outdoor dogs. I also have a lab, but the cairn is about the most loving, happy dog I have ever owned. Or should I say owned me. By the way, my husband my just love Kudzu more than me.

Archived