CairnTalk

terms of endearment

rileysmum

My dear little boy came into the kitchen tonight and said "mum you use to call me your little man and boof head now you say it to Rebel,I wish you could still say it to me" :wub:

It's funny because I had noticed that I talk to Rebel the same way as I spoke to the kids when they were babies, at 10 years old I didn't think Ry would get jealous of the dog :confused:

Apparently it's ok to say these terms of endearment to Rebel, as long as I still say them to Riley as well, he doesn't mind sharing.

My mother will call and ask how her big man and little man are doing (the big man being our 16 yr old son and the little man is Crunch the Cairn). I think it's so funny. The other day my parents dropped by for a visit. Later, my mom calls and sounds so embarrassed. She says, "I didn't even go say hi to Jake while I was there. (Jake was in his room the whole time- as usual.) I was just so busy visiting with Crunch. " I assured her that Jake didn't mind in the least. I think it's very easy to treat them like the youngest family member.

Rileysmum, Bless your son's heart. What a sweetie! I'm almost in the same boat as he is in but I'm many, many years older. My parents (both 70 years old) e-mailed me on Wednesday telling me that it had been a whole week since they saw "the hound" (as my dad calls my pup). The said they really prefer to have him over once a week. So, needless to say, I dropped my pup off at their house this morning on my way into work. My dad is so mellow around my dog - it's wierd to see the gruff, disciplinarian melted down by a 16 pound pouch :halo:

post-958-1142003318_thumb.jpg

what is interesting to me is that I would NEVER talk baby-talk to our children. I read somewhere how it slowed down their speach, etc....but I catch myself talking the most ridiculous talk to Abe and Scruf...go figure...lol

What a touching story. I can honestly see how a child could be a tad jealous of our Cairns. I constantly talk to my crew as if they are human, babytalk, hugs and kisses.

Blessed be our children for they shall probably have a Cairn of their own someday.

My daughter (35) doesnt call me the crazy puppy lady for nothing!!!! LOL She says it with love though! :wub:

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

My son who is 16 will occasionally announce I think more of Sophie than him, but it is he who is walking around calling her the 'little bundle of cuteness" and rubbing all over her with..."youse a dog, little dog, sophie dog"...utter nonsense. I stick with "baby girl"

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Eli, here! My Alpha B may be dumb and oppressive, but I get all melty inside when she goes "Whooozzzzagoodboy??????" Why, I am, of course! :halo:

Woof!

Eli B)

I call Savannah baby girl too.

Our routine: I say, "Come here baby girl!" DH says, "She's not a baby anymore." And I reply, "She will always be my baby."

Dh is jealous maybe???

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

My kids are teens, and a few months ago, DD mentioned that we pay more attention to the dogs than we do our kids. I told her, of course, that she will always be more important to us than our dogs! We do call our two "the girls" and talk to them like they are little babies.....but I try not to do it in front of the human kids very much. What's funny is DD has a cat and talks to Bach just like she were a baby!

Archived