CairnTalk

weird whimpering

Guest Binky

Guest Binky

Hi My Cairn Rufus does this really strange thing when his given a treat thats big enough to bury, he wonders around whimpering with the Item in his mouth ,looking for somewhere to hide it, if Im in bed he will give it to me to hide.

Its hilarious he even trys to desguise things by putting a toy or sock in his mouth as well, has anyone else noticed this with there babys?

Packy does exactly the same thing! He runs around the house looking for a place to bury the treat, whining and crying. If he notices that you're watching him, he won't "bury" it in that place. It's hilarious! Sometimes he does find a place to bury his treat (usually in my clothes basket full of clean laundry), but other times he just gives us and eats it.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Guest Darcy's Mom

My two Cairns before Darcy used to bury in plain sight...usually in the den. They would "bury" it by pushing imaginery dirt (I guess?) over it until they got it just right, then I would walk over to where the treat was "buried" and pick it up. They would get so mad cuz they thought they had done a really good job of burying it so no one could find it. Silly dogs.

My 8month old, Charley, does exactly the same thing !! I thought it was just a weird thing that he did. At first, I thought he was trying to tell me that he didn't like a treat (and it's ONLY with bigger treats, like a bone biscuit etc) - I actually discarded a bag of biscuits 'cos I thought they were too hard beacuse of this whining....anyway....I've begun to realize that he's trying to hide the treat to save for later!! Usually, he drops it behind some furniture, other times he stuffs it between the cushions in his doggie bed....sooo very funny...!

Guest Guest

MINE TOO!! Finnegan runs around and trys to find the perfect spot - which is usually in plain sight!! We NEVER tell him we found it and never move it as I think it would his hurt his feelings and pride... Finn also "air" buries things with all the head and nose movements just like he was burying it in the dirt. TOO Cute!

Guest posting as: binky

this is so funny as Im reading this , he walking around with a Bonio plus a powder puff trying to disguise his bonio

This is so funny, Kramer whimpers with the treat hanging in his mouth. He doesn't like big pieces, only small size. When my hubby hands him a bigger size, he walks around whimpering as to say, what do I do with this thing. I then go by him, he drops it, I split it up and he is happy. Sometimes he will throw it out of his mouth to see if the wood floor will crack it. He is too funny.

Kramer now is almost a year and half. Born 10-04 Here he is. I'm so proud of my guy. He truly brings me so much joy. I'm still a loss with losing my Missy over a year ago, it takes time but he sure does cheer me and bring joy back to my heart.

I'm sure for the one's who have lost a pet underatands just how hard it is.

P3080123.jpg

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Hi! Riley also does this - - it is hilarious! He will finally find a good "burial spot" and I will look at him and say - - "I'm gonna find the bone" - - and he will run to the spot to check and make sure it is still there!! I have a good laugh at his expense!!

Guest Darcy's Mom

Missyforever, I do understand how you are still grieving for your poor baby, but your new little guy looks to be a really handsome fella with lots of vim and vinegar (did I say that? Boy it sure shows my age!!) No replacing your Missy but I'm sure he is helping you to cope with her loss as you stay pretty busy with him so that's a good thing.

From one who has been there....

Sandy

Eli, here! I do this with bully sticks. You must find EXACTLY the right place to hide it or someone else will chomp it. I hate that! I have been told by the Alpha B that one of my predecessors used to hide treats under the guest bed and she did not know this until they moved and found a HUGE pile of forgotten treats! Another ancestor used to bury treats in a big old potted plant, leaving quite the obvious mess. I have been known to bury the bully stick right next to the Alpha B. I know that she will not chomp it as she prefers chocolate.

Woof,

Eli

Maggie does the same thing!... whining with chew sticks or rawhides...and she pretends to bury them in the house, in the couch, in the corner of a room in plain site and she spends 10 minuts pushing the 'imaginary' dirt on top of it!!....she gives me the evil eye when i 'find' her treat so easily!!hahahaha!! ...that is such a funny quirk!

in the summer she did the same in the garden with rawhides, just that she was able to do it for real!

a

Allie sure doesn't bury anything -- all good treats are immediately eaten, and no crumbs left. But our last girl, Annie, used to "air bury" her treats, bones and rawhides. Imagine the pain of stepping barefoot onto a rawhide treat "buried" in the center of the hallway while making your way at night into the bathroom! Ouch!

We were just wondering the same thing yesterday. I gave Roxy her first ever big beef bone and after chewing it for 2 hours she brought it inside and tried to give it to me. Then she picked it up and wandered through the house wimpering. It was like she just didn't know what to do with it. I finally felt sorry for her and took it off her. When I gave it back she chewed it for a bit then buried it in several different spots in the garden and finally brought it back inside and the wimpering started again - it disappeared the next time she put it down. :whistle:

ctdogs.jpg

Archived