CairnTalk

I have to do a report on Cairn Terriers

Guest posting as: Dan

Guest posting as: Dan

I'm doing a report on Cairn Terriers. I can't find out the orinal parents of the Cairn. I'm well aware of the fact taht they originated in the HIghlands of Scottland, but how did they get there. Who were the original parents of the Cairn Terrier. IF anyone knows, please help or point me to somewhere that can help me. My email is dandill@optonline.net If you know, email me there and put in the subject line in caps CAIRN TERRIER HELP. Thanks for helping me!

Dan,

I don't think it's documented exactly where or when the Cairn originated. They are considered the oldest of the short-legged terriers. There are supposedly letters dating back to the 1600's that mention these little dogs.

You might want to check out records of some old Scotish families like the Macdonalds of Waternish, the McLeods of Drynoch or the kennel of McKinnon of Kilbride back in the 1800's.

Wish I could have helped...

Sandy

I'm not sure if anyone knows exactally what dogs were invoved in the origins of the Cairn. Do you have a book on Cairns? I have the one by Christine Carter. It has a very good section on Cairn develoment through the ages. You might see if you can get a hold of it. Good luck!!

Let me begin by telling you I am a novice just starting out but I asked lots of questions before I purchased the foundation for my one-day kennel. There are many people who can really help you but you will find opinions will vary greatly with this breed. Look at the breeder

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Archived