CairnTalk

The Urban Cairn

Blackbelt Jones

Hi All,

My wife and I have an amazing little Cairn puppy named Clancy (who is, as of this posting, 4 months old). We live in a condo highrise in downtown Chicago, which makes Clancy a true urban pup.

I wanted to see if there were any other downtown dog owners... and if so, it would be fun to share experiences. Raising a pup in the city has a whole slew of challenges that are not often covered (for instance, we live on the 19th floor of a 54 story building... which has made potty training an interesting challenge. I am proud to report that we are down to one accident about every other day!).

I'd like to hear your thoughts on dog carriers for the subway/bus (we don't own a car), dog runs and dog parks, group puppy/dog play dates (think "Puppy Bowl"), urban dog walking (teaching them to cross busy streets or walking in a crowd), etc... bascially, any tricks, tips, or "I wish I would of done this years ago" lightbulbs that you have picked up from owning a dog in a large urban environment.

Cheers,

Mike, Gina and Clancy in Chicago...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although I do have a backyard, if I did live on the 19th floor, I'd opt for wee-wee pads.

I live in an urban enviorment, granted not as large as chicago, but perhaps a simular idea. Sophie was grown when I got her, but had never been socialized and the first day we had her, she began to learn. We are also apartment dwellers.

My two pieces of advice....a short, tight lead. Helps with the corners and crowds and a calm manner, which helped with the sirens, and bus noises. About the only thing she has not adjusted to....snow plows. They cause her to bark.

You dog is a doll. :)

Sophie

Image032.jpg

What a doll baby!!! I'm sorry but I don't have much to add in order to help out. The best I can say is my first Cairn was used to going out back in our yard, which is all concrete. She was so used to the concrete, that if she was out on the grass on the front lawn and it was time to go potty, she would let you know and I'd have to bring her all the way through the house, down the steps, through the basement to the back yard and THEN she'd do her business.

It sounds like you've done a tremendous job with Clancy already!

Please keep us posted with pictures and how Clancy's doing. And welcome to the group!!!!

Guest posting as: Hagar

I wish I could be more specific in how to accomplish this, but since my late wife did the actual training, I'm not quite sure how it was done, but it would be a great way to train an urban apartment dwelling dog. Perhaps someone with more training experience can offer suggestions..

About 15 years ago we brought home a very small Toy Poodle puppy. Somehow, my wife had him trained to go outside most of the time, but still use the training pads during the nite or while we were at work. Since he was so small (about six pounds in his prime), when he had to "Go", he had to "Go" NOW. He would be taken out if at all possible. If we were in the middle of something and couldn't take him out, he would use the pad.

We continued to buy "Training Pads" for several years for him. During my wife's final illness, one of the Hospice nurses gave me a bunch of "underpads" that are of similar construction, but do not have the scent used in the training pads. He used the underpads just fine. They are considerably less expensive, and are available in most pharmacies and discount stores, and come in several different sizes depending on the size and needs of the dog. I used them for the rest of his life. Hagar :!: .

Ahh Chicago. I'm from Chicago as well. I live in a home. My neice and her fiancee live in a high rise as well but they have two cats. She lives on Dearborn

and she is way up there high. Sorry I have no high rise experiance but it sounds like you are doing a great job. The pictures are price less. Just adorable.

My first cairn passed away last November at age 17 our new boy is a little over a year and his coloring is just like punkin.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Hi Neighboor! We're north of Rockford....

Darling baby you have there. Sounds like you're doing pretty good with him already. Cant imagine having a problem getting him to pee on concrete, as Ellie will pee on anything, anytime!!!! She is tons better now, but it was getting to descision time with her....she must have read my mind.

Do they have good dog parks for you in chicago? That would be tough to not have a place for them to run around. YOu'll have to keep us posted on his progress and please, more pictures!!! :)

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Thank you all for the responses so far!

We are also apartment dwellers.

My two pieces of advice....a short, tight lead. Helps with the corners and crowds and a calm manner, which helped with the sirens, and bus noises.

We made the mistake of getting a retractable lead... Clancy's obedience starts next Saturday, and they provide a good lead as part of the class. As soon as we get it, the retractable lead goes in the trash.

You speak the truth! We keep the lead short, and it helps tremendously. In fact, we ventured up Michigan Avenue to steer through crowds today, and he did SOOO good!

my wife had him trained to go outside most of the time, but still use the training pads during the nite or while we were at work.

That is quite a trick! When we were teaching Clancy to go outside, we never gave him an opportunity to "fail"... meaning, we anticipated his need to pee/poo, that we would proactively take him out. Now, if he has an accident, it is really our fault for not anticipating... at this point, he knows that the Ally is the place to go! I think it would be confusing to him to go back to a pee pad... but I can see how this would be helpful. Fortunately, my wife works 2nd shift three days a week, and I work 9-5... this means he is rarely home alone for longer than a few hours. Thanks for your post, and I am sorry to hear about your wife Hagar.

My first cairn passed away last November at age 17 our new boy is a little over a year and his coloring is just like punkin.

It took my parents years to get another Cairn after Barney passed away... I know what that is like. But I am happy to hear you have a new furry edition to the family!

Do they have good dog parks for you in Chicago?  That would be tough to not have a place for them to run around.    YOu'll have to keep us posted on his progress and please,  more pictures!!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey neighbor!

Fortunately, Chicago was rated the most dog friendly big city in the US... there are dog parks all over... heck, you can take your pooch up and down the lakefront... and a lot of stores let dogs in (Marshal Feilds, Macy's, etc). Even some coffee shops and bistros will allow little pooches in! They even have take your dog to the ball game @ Comisky Park (Go Go White Sox). My building is thinking about putting a dog run in the ally, and setting up doggy play dates on the pool deck.

For now, however, I am sticking to the "urban playground" of the blocks that border our building. You'd be surprised how well Cairn's adapt... he loves exploring the nooks and crannies of the city... and he LOVES revolving doors!

PS... there are a ton of Hansom Cabs on the streets around us... you know, the ol' horse and buggy... and I have NEVER seen Clancy run so fast as when he saw a horse for the first time!!! :lol:

Please keep us posted with pictures and how Clancy's doing. And welcome to the group!!!!

Thanks Scully's Mom! A fitting pic I think: little Clancy in front of the Chicago Skyline!

post-1314-1141510078_thumb.jpg

I was just thinking, I've seen doggie litterboxes. Might be a good option for those long snowy evenings!

We love Chicago! Hope to visit again soon!

The photo of Clancy in front of the Chicago skyline is adorable!

I'm a suburbanite/small towner so I can't give any high rise potty training advice, but it sounds like you're doing great.

Keep the pics and stories coming!

That little baby of yours is the sweetest thing ever! I can't really give you any advice about city life with Cairns as I am a country bumpkin, but I did have to teach my dogs to go potty on pretty much any available turf because we show, and sometimes there is just no nice green grass. They all had to learn to go on sawdust, concrete,sand, plain ol dirt and various other ingenious ways to toliet a dog that they come up with at dog shows. Makes for a lond weekend if they are picky about where they potty! :wub:

Well i'd say you win on the coolest shot of your cairn! Wow, what a cool backdrop!!!!! My dogs are such country cairns, they'd go nuts in a big city. It takes them about 4 days to adjust when we come down to our florida house in a gaited community. SOOOOOO many dogs here. I just get them fairly adjusted and we go back home....which will be in a few days....booohooooo.

When our dogs met their first horse at Fort Wilderness campground, oh my god, Ellie went cracker dog....it was embarrassing!!!!! We stear clear of them whenever possible!! LOL

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Oh What a sweetie pie!

I grew up in Cook County's northern Subs, along the lake- I did live in Lincoln Park while we had Waylong a GSD, but that was a 3-flat. I'm now out in the farm country, ouside of Cincinnati- aaahhh--- how I miss Frango Mints........

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

That is SUCH a cool picture!

I'm sorry but I had to laugh at Clancy. His few little hairs sticking up on his head remind me of an old man who only has a few hairs left! He is Adorable! I just want to squeeze him!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

I love the pictures of Clancy; what an adorable pup. Don't have anything to add as I've always been in the 'burbs...sometimes wayyyyyyyyy out in the 'burbs (of D.C. by the way.) Just like everyone else said, keep the pix and stories coming. :)

Tara, Olie and Teddy's Mom

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

You seem to be doing all the right things wth Clancy and reaping the rewards of having a smart well-trained, lovable cairn! We apartment dwellers can't have doggy doors for our cairns to let themselves out when nature calls... Some people have rigged up a bell dangling on a string near the door and trained their dog to hit the bell with it's paw to announce its need to go out. Just a thought.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Guest Darcy's Mom

NOthing I can add either, just wanted to welcome you aboard!! Sounds like Mr. Clancy doesn't need much training as once he "gets it" that's it. Very smart little guy!! My Darcy was paper trained in a matter of a few days at 6 months. Very unusual. Please keep pics coming...he's such a cutie.

Well thank you ALL for the replies! It has been a hoot revisiting this thread. I will bump it up every now and again to see if we can't snare any other Urban Cairn Owners, and maybe make this thread a home for them as well... I know I am not alone out there. :)

They all had to learn to go on sawdust, concrete,sand, plain ol dirt and various other ingenious ways to toliet a dog that they come up with at dog shows.
Pretty good trick! I know some dogs can be real picky about that... so far Clancy seems just fine going on asphalt, concrete and gravel... oddly, he has never done the deed on grass yet
Well i'd say you win on the coolest shot of your cairn!
I love the pictures of Clancy
he's such a cutie
Thank you so much! :) I think Clancy is getting a big head!!!
Oh What a sweetie pie!

I grew up in Cook County's northern Subs, along the lake- aaahhh--- how I miss Frango Mints........

I should send you a care pack (I'll include an Italian Beef and a Portillos Hot Dog as well!!!)
I'm sorry but I had to laugh at Clancy.

post-1314-1142009315_thumb.jpg

post-1314-1142009329_thumb.jpg

post-1314-1142009340_thumb.jpg

Ahhhh, when you said Portillo's!!

We lived away from the Chicago area for many years and the only time we were able to have it was during infrequent visits. We have been back here for about 10 years now and eat there alot!!

I think I am gonna go grab some Portillo's for lunch :D !!

Cathy

P.S. I love seeing all the pics of Clancy downtown. My son travels by train from the 'burbs daily to Columbia University. Wonder if they allow doggies on the Metra??

Cathy and Piper

Archived