CairnTalk

Your Cairn's Smell......

purebella

Okay, now that we are all coming out of the closet on this... We smell the top of Crunch's head ALL the time. And it always gives me the best feeling- like smelling of the soft hair on a baby's head. And it has a smell I can't describe. He doesn't get outside except for walks (poor thing), so it may not be the same as it will in the future. We are having a fence built THIS WEEK and I am so excited. He may be smelling differently after some hours of play outside. I'll be curious to see.

I'm the one with the wretched gas!!

LOL!!!!

Savannah has frito feet too!!!!

Edited by savannahsmom35

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Guest Binky

This is so funny and nice to know we all seem to like smelling our cairn's,

Rufus smells fine most of the time but if he has rubbed his face where a Fox has been he stinks like a cross between an old sock and burnt rubber!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I find it very interesting that so many of you enjoy the smell of your cairns. i just adore the puppy smell of mine and she is 31/2 years old. I never noticed any odor from her feet. Her last bath was in Nov..I do sometimes put a little Avons skin so soft on her to keep her hair in place. I do like the smell of her better without it. I too bury my nose in her and can't get over how lovely she smells.

• 6 years later...

Hi everybody, I'm the first time owner of a 12 week old Cairn puppy called 'Teddie' ... OMG, he's the cutest thing and we can't stop cudding him! We purchased him 2 days ago from a farm where he shared a kennel with his brothers and sisters and was covered in poop. We gave him a good wash with some organic/natural doggie shampoo but now he has that unpleasant 'doggie smell'. Especially around his ears. It's such a shame because I expected him to smell better after the wash. I wondered if maybe they were just a smelly breed? But since reading your posts I've discovered that isnt true.

I'm currently in the process of changing his diet to a good quality dry food from the vet (Purina Pro Plan) and will take a look at his ears.

'Hillscreek' kindly advised checking the corn content of the feed which I will do also. We brushed his teeth for the first time this morning.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's winter over here in NZ and the grass is very wet ... he seems to smell worse when he's wet from running around in the grass. The grass is clean though - it isnt muddy or poopy.

Unconditional love means cuddling and snuggling your puppy even when he smells bad ... but it would be nice if he smelled better, haha.

Kia Ora from New Zealand.

Teddie (The Cairn Puppies) Mum

Nothing gross! biggrin.gif

Bella doesnt have a doggy smell as such, but more of a sweet musky smell. Not sure whether that is because she is still a puppy......

It got me thinking as to what other people's Cairns smell like tongue.gif

I always say "Ripley, you smell like the earth" I like it.

Kia Ora from New Zealand.

Teddie (The Cairn Puppies) Mum

Welcome! I visited Paihia in 2007. It was the most amazing place I've ever been. Absolutely fell in love with New Zealand. I was in Auckland for a night before driving down there.

You said he smelled especially around the ears, If that is so I would take him to the vet. It has been my experience that if a dogs ears smell then they are infected or have ear mites, or something else. My Cairn only smells a little when wet, most of the time she smells very earthy, a little dirt smell mixed with a sweet musty hay smell, and the bottoms of her paws smell like Fritos. She is the best smelling dog I have ever had even though I only bath her once every 4 or 5 months.

Your pup is a cutie and I hope you have lots of fun with him. They are great dogs. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi KShep, yes NZ is lovely, I'm very lucky to live here .. I absolutely adore the States too though! Hi Lynn, thank you so much for the tips! Will sort that out ASAP :)

Hi. Welcome to forum.

Search for vinegar water. There are a lot of suggestions. I'd quote some of them but my pc won't do quotes (still using win 95.)

I'd cuddle with him too no matter what he smells like lol.

Idaho Cairns

"Doggie smell" is too subjective and what might be offensive to you could be acceptable and possibly even enjoyed by someone else. Other than checking out the ear thing to make sure there is no infection causing an odor, I have no suggestion for you or a description that works--my dogs smell like my dogs--it is a smell that is particular to each of them and it is pleasant to me because it is associated with dogs I love. I've been around many Cairns and never have known one to smell bad or have a "strong" odor in the manner that some dogs do on a regular basis. After exercise they have what we call a "sweaty smell" which is just a stronger version of their normal smell, a bit more pungent, which goes away after a bit.

When I first got Holly. although she was an adult, she smelt of the kennels she had lived in, but now there is now particular smaell from her at all. I agree with the others that if the ears smell I would get those checked out.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I also agree with the others on getting the ears checked out, but for the rest of the body if you don't care for the smell you could alway spray him with a 50/50 mixture of water and listerine mouthwash. I will use this on my boys if they get into something, but for the most part they don't really smell offensive.

Edited by Hawkeye

Teddie is as cute as a bugs ear. Oh my gosh he is cute. So glad that you have him and welcome to the forum. I love the smell of Demps. Jim says he stinks, but I think it's a great smell. Have you smelt Teddies paws yet? What do you think? Fritos?

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Thanks for your feedback everybody! Teddie has a clean bill of health and his ears are fine. Maybe the fact that I've never owned a dog has caused me to be extra sensitive to the smell. Now I'm getting used to it ... especially when he snuggles under my chin and falls asleep. I'd rather get used to the smell and have the sweetest puppy in the world than a delicious smelling pup with half his personality. So far so good with the paws which is a bit of a shame really because I LOVE Chitos, haha.

PS: Dempsey's mum ... maybe I began my doggie smell journey as a "Jim" and then matured into a "Lori" ... haha. :lol:

Best part of Cairn's, is they do not require as many baths as most dogs. We find they rarely smell. They some times have a faint "sweat smell" after a particularly hard heated (run, romp). And we LOVE the smell of their paws. Oh I guess since this is my first comment on the forum, I should introduce myself as Sammi & Bonnie Belle's mom. Their dad, as you know, has been on the site for quite a lenght of time now. I decided I wanted to join so that I could see more of your posts, and well comment as such....

• Like 1

Best part of Cairn's, is they do not require as many baths as most dogs. We find they rarely smell. They some times have a faint "sweat smell" after a particularly hard heated (run, romp). And we LOVE the smell of their paws. Oh I guess since this is my first comment on the forum, I should introduce myself as Sammi & Bonnie Belle's mom. Their dad, as you know, has been on the site for quite a lenght of time now. I decided I wanted to join so that I could see more of your posts, and well comment as such....

I am so glad you decided to join and have fun with us! Welcome to the forum! I can't wait for your stories of Sammi and Bonnie and your DH ( Idaho/Chuck) I love to watch the videos of Sammi and Bonnie and have learned a lot from Idaho as I am sure I will learn a lot from you Idaho 2

Funny how you mentioned about the feet. I love the little "frito" feet. I could just eat them up. I'm actually bordering on obsessing with his feet. I love to play with them when he's sleeping. (When did I turn into this person? :whistle: )

Ok...so I've never smelled a dog's paws before today......but I had to know. Would you believe it? Fritos!

Ok...so I've never smelled a dog's paws before today......but I had to know. Would you believe it? Fritos!

I couldn't believe it either! Addie's totally smell like Fritos! And I'm glad I'm not the only one smelling their dog, particularly their feet!

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Well i smelled Kelly's last year when everyone told me they smelled like fritos. I couldn't believe it either! haha

"So far so good with the paws which is a bit of a shame really because I LOVE Chitos, haha".

Duh... I thought it was "Chitos" ... what on earth are 'Fritos' ???? Are they anything like Chitos ... cheese flavoured corn snacks? It's been a while since I was in the States.

Frito's are corn chips with just salt. No cheese, but they are very good (addicting) like most fried foods, you can't eat just one and end up eating the whole bag. haha,