CairnTalk

Long walks

Hagar

I take Renny for a walk every evening and we are averaging close to two miles nightly. We walk in a fairly quiet residential area. As soon as we get home, he heads straight for the water dish and drinks quite a bit of water.

Is there a practical way to carry a small (six or eight ounces) amount of water that I can give him part way through our walks? I'd prefer that he didn't drink out of puddles along the way. which he does when he finds one. I already have to contend with his leash, poop bags, pepper spray, and treats. I'd just like to be able to give him some water along the way without having to carry so much stuff that I look like I'm heading out for a trip to the wilderness.

It's still very much Winter here, and having water available will become more important as the weather warms up. I'm open to ideas. Thanks. Hagar.

Sure! We have a soft nylon doggie water bowl that fits in a small pouch with a bottle of water. It has a shoulder strap and will also hold a few extra things like your poop bags. Check out products by Outward Hound at Petco, Petsmart or on the web. Great for car rides too!

I have one of those things that screw onto a water bottle and tips open to a trough (sp) and you just squeeze the bottle to get the water out...works great!!!! Just stick it in a fanny pack.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

The "Gulpy" pet water dispenser is the best I've tried, and the only one Max will actually drink from. Its a water bottle that has a folded trough attached, and it is light weight and just clips on your pocket. It's great, and effortless to carry. I got it at Petco or PetSmart, or one of those places. It was about $10, and well worth it.

i use a foldable bowl too, but yes, the water carrying is a little tricky. I didn't think about those water things i've seen people carry with a straw, it's like a backpack attatched with a long straw, i guess that would work

Thanks for some good suggestions. The "Gulpy" looks like a practical solution to the problem. I'll check Petco in the next few days. There isn't a Pet Smart in my area. Thanks again. Hagar

Guest posting as: Hagar

:) Yesterday, I picked up a "Handi-drink" at Petco. It is similar to the "Gulpy" except that the bottle has to be pulled out and snapped into the trough, instead of swiveling. Tried it on our walk last nite and it worked great. About halfway thru our usual walk, I stopped and offered him the water, and he loved it. Thanks for the suggestions, this really worked. Hagar.

• 1 year later...

These were great ideas. I went to the bark park today with Zoe and after playing with some of the dogs a Westie puppy (6 months old) came in and totally pooped out Zoe. This little pup was doing everything she could to get Zoe to keep playing but she's just too out of shape (she's 2.25 years old and we rescued her a month ago).

Anyways... I found myself pouring water into my cupped hand from a Poland Spring bottle so she could slurp up some. She had quite a bit of water from my hand but next time she'll be getting her own container of some sort.

I just have to add that Scruffy and Dixie will both drink out of the water bottle. I know I have a picture somewhere... hmm I don't see it.

But I do take water on walks with us.

Hi,

I use the 8 oz size handidrink and love it. It clips right onto my belt loop.

Hagar, doesn't the "bowl" part of the Handi-Drink stay clipped to the bottle itself?

That way you just pull it down and squeeze the H2O into the bowl part.

We have the Handi drink too and I love it! It fits into our fanny pack with the water bottle holders on it so we can take it hiking and put Angus' water on one side and ours on the other. He drinks plenty on walks, but rarely do I see him at the water dish at home.

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

Archived