CairnTalk

Fiction with dogs?

Hagar

I hope that this isn't too far off topic, but, since this IS a dog forum I hope some of the members will have some good suggestions.

Over the last couple of years I have become quite a mystery book fan. I especially have enjoyed "The Cat Who.." series, the "Midnight Louie" series, and the "Mrs. Murphy" series. Yes, I know that except for "Mrs. Tucker" the Corgi in the Mrs. Murphy series, the books feature cats as major characters.

I'm caught up on all of these and looking for more books. I'd like to find similar series that feature dogs in major roles. It would be great if a Cairn was the "hero", but I realize that may be asking too much. But if anyone is aware of similar books with dogs, especially smaller breeds, please let me know. I'm out of reading material. Hagar

I'm a big mystery fan, too. I love the "Mrs. Murphy" books.

Susan Conant writes a series about a dog trainer/writer who lives in Cambridge. She owns 2 Alaskan Malamutes, but each book spotlights another breed. They're well written and I've enjoyed them.

Another series recommended to me by a dog and mystery lover are the "Rachel Alexander and Dash" mysteries by Carol Lea Benjamin. I haven't read any of these yet.

I did a search on my local library web site - dog and mystery - and came up with more than 70 suggested titles! So there are lots of books out there for you! Happy hunting!

Don't know if you have ever read James Herriot's series "All Things Bright and Beautiful", "All Things Wise and Wonderful" were two out of several books. There was one titled, "Dog Stories", too.

Wonderful writer, excellent books!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

This isn't a mystery, but I'm reading a book called One Man and His Dogs by Ian Niall. It was published in 1975, and part of it is about his cairn Susie, who "took over Ian Niall and his family for 15 1/2 years. In her old age she dominated them, and they let it happen while they scorned others who made idols of their pets." As an ENORMOUS fan of female cairns, I'm loving the book, but I'm putting off finishing it, because I know Susie dies in the end, and I'm dreading reading about that.

Guest posting as: Hagar
:)I hit the bookstores yesterday and picked up "A pedigree to die for", the first of the Melanie Travis books. I also found "Nose for Murder" which is the first of a series by Lee Charles Kelley. I started "Nose for Murder" last nite, and so far, it looks pretty good. I'll read the first ones, and if I like them, I'll start picking up the rest. Again, thanks for the suggestions. Hagar.

Archived