CairnTalk

COLD

JVTMT

this will be otis' first winter ever. my mother's day present/he was 7 mos old. (spent 2 mos w/breeder & 5 mos/pet shop). he left his "puppy-hood" behind on 10/3 when he turned 1 yr. although his hair is like a rain coat i'm not sure about the cold......will he be cold in the winter weather.......will he need a "sweater"? please let me know, if you know....thanks much.....vicky

Parker2.jpg?bfL6th_Ax1Sl5Vo8

When we brought Parker home last December, he was just 8 weeks old and there was snow on the ground. We got him a little sweatshirt, number one, because it was cute, and number two, we didn't want him to freeze to death when he was outside playing.

Parker.jpg?bfL6th_ARbdwAngP

At first he didn't mind wearing it. In fact, sometimes he wouldn't go outside without having it on. As he got a few months older, he started taking it off by himself (which was pretty funny to watch...he would run around the house backwards dragging his tummy on the ground until he got his arms out of it, then he'd wrestle with it until he could get it off his head), and eventually wouldn't wear it at all. I've discovered that he gets hot very easily because his fur is so thick. Now he plays in the snow without his sweatshirt, and when he gets cold (usually covered in snow from head to tail) he just comes back inside and lays by the fireplace to warm up!

Hope this helps!

thanks much for responding to my ?. i guess i won't have to worry about otis being cold in the winter. his hair is so thick and coarse, doesn't sound like he would need much more than that. thanks again vicky

Hi! My little cairn is only 6 1/2 months old but he will not wear any type of clothiing!!! I have had him out in the cold mornings and he actually seems to enjoy the climate!! He is like a little heater himself so I imagine they are fine outside in the cold as long as it is not for a long duration.

My older Cairn won't wear clothing. The cold really bothers her feet. Haven't tryed on the new baby yet.

Wish I could see the pics? All I get are little red "x's"??

Cathy

cathy.......thanks again for your response.

guest/fan......thank you too.

parkersdad.....i had to be nosey...i looked at photos...cathy is right...

adorable.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you would do well to resist the temptation of putting a sweater on a Cairn. They are a hearty Scottish breed and don't need clothing. Just my opinion.

Sean

Archived