CairnTalk

New guy with the big question

My wife and I and our 6-year-old son are looking for a Cairn puppy somewhere in the vicinity of Charlotte, NC. We have found a gentleman near Statesville NC with one remaining male from a litter.

His name is Don Ellis and he says he has been breeding for 15 years. Anybody out there familiar with him who can vouch for the quality of his dogs?

We're not looking for a show dog, just a pet. If you know of anyone else in NC or SC who would be good to contact about Mr Ellis' dogs or any other breeders in the area, please write back, ASAP!

Tim

farneys@bellsouth.net

Tim,

Maybe you could ask the breeder for a reference list of people that he has sold pups to in the past?

Just a thought since no one is responding.

Good luck and sure hope you find a Cairn. They are wonderful dogs.

Cathy

OK, you know, I read all the stuff on all the dog sites about getting references, checking out the kennel carefully, etc. etc. and so on...

Yesterday my wife and I drove to see the Cairn puppy. The place really didn't fit many of the criteria I've read about. The breeder was obviously an individual with a lot of Cairns and Westies, keeping them for fun and probably breeding them for money. Nothing professional or fancy about the place at all - just a house out in the country with a bunch of dogs.

He put the pup in our arms and we didn't care about any of that. He had to come home with us. Both of his parents were there and they appeared to be healthy, happy, lively dogs, so I guess that helps. He goes to the vet this afternoon for a checkup, but even if he turns out to be less than perfectly healthy, I'm not sure we couldn't return him now. We'd just have to do whatever it took to nurse him back to health. I have no reason to believe there's a problem by the way. He eats well, drinks well, plays with great enthusiasm and appears to be just fine.

Jeez we're pitiful softies...

My son, 6, is very, very happy!

Tim

Tim. I know of a breeder here in NC that recently had 2 litters with another due any day. She can provide plenty of references and is a very professional breeder. If interested drop me a quick e-mail and I can provide any info you may request...

Congratulations on your new addition, Tim :)!

Yes, little Cairns are quite hard to resist. Not surprised he came home with you...hehe!

Name? Photo? Sure would like to see your new baby.

Cathy

Congratulations on your new addition, Tim :)

Yes, little Cairns are quite hard to resist.  Not surprised he came home with you...hehe!

Name?  Photo?  Sure would like to see your new baby.

Cathy

I don't have anyplace to post photos on the web for linking, but lemme see, his name is Duke. Big name for such a little guy, I know. It's what you get when you let the 6-year-old name the dog. He appears to be Wheaten, but I understand from the breeder that he may get darker as he grows up. He's an adorable little guy. Checked out clean and healthy at the vet. We're very happy to have him.

Tim

Great that duke checked out a-ok at your vet!

We have two Cairns, a 6 month old male and an 11 year old female. Our female started out Wheaten but changed colors so many times over the years! My mom only saw her a few times a year and every time asked if we had gotten a 'new dog'. We call her chameleon dog! She is now very dark with alot of black and silverish undercoat.

Our male is a cute lil blondie. They look adorable together, one light, the other dark. All of the neighborhood knows our pups as we walk them almost every night and get such nice comments about them.

We have hired a trainer to come to the house and he is doing great. We just had our 5th session and he knows 'come', 'sit' 'stay', 'down', and working on 'heel' while walking. We are quite proud of him! Our older Cairn is also learning some of it, too. Sure wish we had had the $$ when she was young to train but didn't. It sure seems to be good for our puppy and US!

How is potty training going????? :wink:

Cathy

Archived