CairnTalk

Healthy snacks

lyric35

Can someone provide suggestions for healthy snacks? We recently began feeding Kiko cheese and she simply loves it! We're looking for other good things Cairnes like to eat!

We give green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes and some pumpkin for snacks/treats. We also give CET chews and the occasional Old Mother Hubbard Bitz, Canidae biscuit, etc.

Hi! Riley can't eat a lot of people food because of his liver shunts but he loves loves loves - - Mashed potatoes mixed with turnips, liverwurst, green beans and apples!!! AND - - broccoli!!!

We give our dogs greenbeans, carrots, broccoli, peas, tomatoes...just about any veggie execept onions. We also give them small slices of apple and they go crazy over a slice of banana!

I buy dog treats at the petstore that are all natural and I also try to buy the smallest size so that I can give them more times during the day.

Scout and Finch's favorite treat is a stuffed Kong filled with veggies and a small amount of peanut butter or spray cheese and then frozen....keeps them busy for almost an hour!

I like pieces of raw carrot and defrosted frozen peas because they are non-fattening and they can have several pieces/peas. I also use Old Mother Hubbard puppy biscuits because they are small. They just want a treat and I try to give them something that won't add a lot of calories. We used cheese for Emma's puppy manners classes and she put on weight quickly! She also got constipated.

I was glad when the classes were over but she was looking for the cheese!

Shoe,

An hour? I am so impressed - when we give our pup a kong with peanut butter (about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon), it is a race to get him in the crate and us out of the house before he finishes (usually within 5 mins)!

How much cheese/peanut butter do you put in the kong and how many veggies? I need to learn what you do and give it a try!

Thanks in advance. :)

Milopup, I think what makes Scout anf Finch work harder is that it's frozen. I had been putting in two small baby carrots and a small squeeze of cheese to top it off and then I would freeze it. I've only used the frozen pb once, but was amazed at how long it took them to take it all out! I used the stump of some broccoli, cut it in strips, put about a teaspoon of pb in the bottom, and then squeezed the broccoli on top. It took about an hour to freeze. Let's just say that I am going to do this again!

btw, we use the smallest Kongs.

Our guys are all over fruits and veggies. They get one "cookie" a day and the rest are the healthier snacks. Sadie is using veggies for manners class so she doesn't get mammas problem behind :P It's hard making a salad in the house as the gremlins are always looking for offerings from the floor.

Hi again! I purchased 5 of the small kongs for Riley and alternate between cream cheese (lowfat version), peanut butter and liverwurst - - - and freeze them all. He gets one a night - - usually as a snack before bedtime - - and because they are frozen -- it takes a long time for him to clean them out. Buying 5 kongs gives me a break from having to do them every day - - now I just do all 5 at once and put them in the freezer!

Thanks Shoe! :)

We have been using the medium kongs for Bosco (he ripped up the smaller one!) - will try putting in a couple of baby carrots and peanut butter - will go and buy some Cheez Wiz as well. :)

Archived