CairnTalk

Confused by Mars Coat King blade sizes

tena

I am trying to find away to keep Sophie groomed, heck even tidy would be nice. The Mars Coat King seems to be used by lots of members. What 2 sizes would be the best? Or what difference do the number of blades make to the coat.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

I use a 16 on Eric but his fur is soft. I believe the coarser the fur, the lower the number. So as mentioned above, 12 or 16 depending on the coarseness of the coat you are grooming.

Guest Darcy's Mom

Speaking of stripping...I need to know from some of you who do your own hand stripping...please tell me how I can "do" Darcy's muzzle without pulling out her wire (sharp as little needles) whiskers. When I get the flea comb to her face, it tends to pull out the whiskers too. And a wider comb doesn't get the tangles, food, etc. out as well as a flea comb but I know it has to hurt to comb those whisker out. Any advice is appreciated.

Darcys mom:

I do the head while they are sleeping--- Laying my hand on the face, I allow a line of hair to come through- then I start pilling a bit at a time until i've worked the line.

This way you can move pass the wiskers... and I am also holding the skin down with my hand at the same time while the hair is through the fingers.... make sense? Then I just progress to the next patch over....

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I bought a 16 blade, which I did not find very effective. I went to a dog show and asked at one of the stands selling grooming tools. They looked Cairns up in the manufacturer's leaflet and it recommended an 8 or 10 blade Coat King. I bought the 8 blade and I find it much better than the 16 blade.

Stacey

This may be a stupid question but hey - that what we are here for -right? :P

Doesn't the Mars Coat King just cut the undercoat? I got one a month or so back and saw the blade on the hook part of the tool. I guess I was under the assumption that it pulled the dead hair out like an epi-lady. <OUCH!> Perhaps I'm using it wrong? I gave up and just hand strip a little bit a night when the beast is sleeping. :devil:

CodyHead.jpg

We use the #16 Mars Coat King. I didn't even pay much attention to the size when I ordered it -- just ordered what they had on the Col. Potter Rescue site. It seems to do a fine job on Packy. I can't believe how much hair it gets off! I use a small stripping knife for his legs, some of his face and ears. I use the larger stripping knife for his back end and tail -- he hates that part! :mad: Once I've finished, he's very soft until the hard outer coat grows back. Don't you love the different stages of their coats?

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Archived