CairnTalk

New Picture

Abby's Dad

Been a while since I posted a picture of Abby - probably about 7-8 months ago. Here she is at 16 months. She is really maturing into being a very nice dog - loves people, especially the Grand kids! pict01536tp.jpg

Nice looking- do you hand strip or use a blade? I find the tail tricky to keep in shape - also, the under girth. Don't have a grooming table - but the kitchen table works OK. It is easier to work and seems like you can gain better view in order to keep balance of each side length and shape. You did a great job, thanks for sharing with us.

I only hand strip - a little bit at a time and often - also use lava stone on the under belly and as a finishing touch to the hand strip - scissors under the pads. I find the face to be the hardess as it more uncomfortable for Abby. She weighs in at 15#. Thanks for all the nice comments - was not showing off my grooming skills( I'm still learning) but just a pic of Abby who the forum hasn't seen in a while.

Still just learning? Way to modest of you! She looks wonderful! Tails are so hard and hers looks great!

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

***Stupid question of the day*** Where do you get a lava stone, what does it look like and how do you use it? I have only stripped with my bare fingers. Wondering if a lava stone would make it easier?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Where do you get a lava stone, what does it look like and how do you use it?  I have only stripped with my bare fingers.  Wondering if a lava stone would make it easier?

In this post ladybroc says she finds them at grocery stores in the scouring pad section. I think they can be used to remove scale and mineral deposits from things like sinks, tubs and toilet bowls. Googling turns them up in a lot of beauty supply contexts, too. Here are some pictures:

http://pumicewash.tripod.com/pomza3.jpg

http://rippleapplications.com/store/Shop/C...stone_stick.jpg

http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/images/4746.jpg

ladybroc's description of using one:

When using the stone, use your thumb, lift the hair between your thumb and the pumice and pull.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 2025 Calendar

Here is the type of stone I use. Good for a finishing tool after a hand strip or to remove the soft hairs on the under belly etc. Can be found at www.petedge.comxr02636gd.jpg

I saw a neighbor running a pumice stone on his dog like he's just rubbing off dirt from the coat, and the dead hair was coming off like big balls of cotton. It looks so easy. The dog liked it too, he was just sitting there having a good back rub.

Archived